Bye bye Jaguars - 30th April end of

Gary West

:angrysoapbox.sml:

Just got my two reels back.... NOT HAPPY, No disk in one packet, the other packet, they have managed to develop a 'mirror image'..... Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhh :wall::wall::wall:

Ian

Time to go digital matey, I blagged 180 pics and only about 40 have gone in the bin, all the rest are keepers and cost me nowt :winkgrin: .

John.

Brilliant photos guys :speak_cool:

Now you've done it, I've pulled out my Tiffie and Jag kits to ogle over. I hold you two responsible for me shoving everything else of my work bench to to start two new kits.

I really like the looks of that two seat Jag. Would the 1/72 Hase. T Mk2 be an appropriate kit to model that a/c

Cheers,

Mark

Nowt - try £400 for a half decent DSLR :ph34r:

:lol: and then another grand for lenses, more for a lens & camera case, memory cards etc. Cheap hobby this DSLR lark :blush:

Guest Hunter

Fantastic photo's all, especially the 6 formation one, kinda gutted I missed the Jags farewell visit to Lossiemouth now.

Whilst on the subject of Jaguars, has anyone heard anything about a couple of Jaguars stored at the north end of RAF Syerston? No idea how long they have been there but certainly noticed them the last couple of times I've been driving down the old A46.

In terms of cost wet film is just as expensive in terms of initial outlay and then you keep paying for devloping costs.

What bothers me most about digital photography is the pace of development and whether you will still be able to access your photos in, say, 20 years time. This has to be a real consideration. The wet film process beyond advances in developing techniques has not changed since the inception of the SLR and 35 mm photography and provided developers remain getting your pictures should not be a problem.

However, with solid state memory what is going to happen when manufacturers stop doing flash cards and card reader manufacturers stop doing the readers as a result or the CDROM and HDD are no longer supported media (and this will happen)? I've been around computers long enough to remember 8" floppy drives and 24" WInchester drives and discrete arrays of integrated circuits to give you a whopping 32kx8 RAM. Where are these devices and the support for them now? I found some 8" floppies the other day from long forgotten trials, the data on them would have been useful but remains inaccessible and worthless because there are no 8" disk drives around.

I see the same happening to digital photography.

Andy

In terms of cost? Show me a new film SLR (new).

The reality is that film sales are now almost non existant, options for processing are dwindling and will become more expensive as the next few years role by. As a photo graphic retail dealer, we only have one option available to us for subbing out film processing at this time, even that is under threat right now.....what then? Forget 20 years time!

If you consider the wastage when using film cameras, industry accepted statistics say that digital is about one third of the cost to produce the same number of acceptable results.......hello????

Yes, technology will change, that's called progress. We will see a one pixel camera within the next ten years and then the public will be saying "I'll wait for the two pixel version to hit the streets".

The CDROM will die within a few years but we will always be able to transfer digital information from one media to another so what's the real problem? No problem there I think.

DSLRs are not expensive relative to when I bought my first SLR...cost me £100.00 and that was nearly a months wages!

The customer has never had it so good.

I did meet a chap who had loosed off around 15,000 images at RIAT a few years ago....god knows how much that would have cost to process in film terms. Granted, there were a lot of 'duffers' but the law of averages produced some superb shots.....he sold a few images and so he was quids in!

[email protected]

Latest has it that 31st of May is noew the disbandment day rather than the 25th. 8 Jags will also depart to Cosford on this day.

The news that surprised me is that the last 3 Jags will depart CBY to Cosford on 2nd of July, after the End of the Jaguar/Waddington weekend.

There's a lot more consideration given to backwards compatibility these days, respecting the investment that people have put into the outgoing format. Notice that DVD players also play CDs... do Blu-Ray players do CDs & DVDs? I expect so.

These days new technology isn't just a massive sea-change, as they just couldn't get the uptake from consumers who have invested heavily in the older tech :)

........I really like the looks of that two seat Jag. Would the 1/72 Hase. T Mk2 be an appropriate kit to model that a/c

Cheers,

Mark

The Hase kit is okay for a very early T.2 however I prefer the Italeri T.2 which whilst being not so forgiving as the hase kit I feel is more accurate and representative of a later in service Jag, though will still require some work.

HTH

Whilst on the subject of Jaguars, has anyone heard anything about a couple of Jaguars stored at the north end of RAF Syerston? No idea how long they have been there but certainly noticed them the last couple of times I've been driving down the old A46.

Still there but no idea what they are doing there?

Just been reading about the one pixel idea...very interesting. That's exactly my point about the CDROM format, it will become obsolete and if you forget to transfer your data from it eventualy you won't be able to, see my point about data locked on 8" floppies because no one thought to transfer the data each time a new media format arrived. That's historical data just lost.

Another point that has just ocured to me is that these media types have not been around long enough to know how good their long term data data retention is i.e. how long before the data becomes corrupted through decay of the materials due to exposure to the environment?

But for all that, like the chap that rattled of 15,00 images, I find the ability to do that with DSLR immensely convenient.

Andy

Wise words Andy.

There are a lot of happy snappers who are not even putting them onto to CD! " I store mine on my computer" :doh:

External hard drives are the forseeable future....where do we stop being paranoid about safety of our digital information.

Chip on your shoulder? Nah, they'll be embedded before long!

Rich

• 4 weeks later...

Well Dean and I made the trip to Coninsgby yesterday to witness the disbandment parade of 6 squadron and of course the mighty Jaguar. Absolutely brilliant day the highlight being the run in and Vixen break of 8 Jaguars right over us. As sight never to forget.

Dean will post some pics as soon as he can get around to it.

One piece of interesting news for modellers, (hot from the gossip mongerers) there is a second "special" Jaguar being unveiled next week which has apparently been sponsored by "Aircraft Illustrated" & Jaguar cars. The scheme which is under wraps, will have an outer metal skin being peeled back to signify the "Can openers" - will make a tremendous decal sheet I'm sure.

Edited by Gary West

Well Dean and I made the trip to Coninsgby yesterday to witness the disbandment parade of 6 squadron and of course the mighty Jaguar. Absolutely brilliant day the highlight being the run in and Vixen break of 8 Jaguars right over us. As sight never to forget.

Dean will post some pics as soon as he can get around to it.

One piece of interesting news for modellers, (hot from the gossip mongerers) there is a second "special" Jaguar being unveiled next week which has apparently been sponsored by "Aircraft Illustrated" & Jaguar cars. The scheme which is under wraps, will have an outer metal skin being peeled back to signify the "Can openers" - will make a tremendous decal sheet I'm sure.

Cool - maybe one to point out to Scott at Afterburner Decals? :hmmm:

And back on topic not seen this mentioned on this thread.....

6 Sqn was the last squadron of the Royal Air Force never to have been disbanded prior to the withdrawal of the Jaguar early.

Formed in 1914 and never once stood down :(

Thanks Tony for destroying a squadrons unique history.

I have seen a photo of a desert cat that has been painted recently as part of the draw down but can't remember where.

Edited by MacksAviation

6 Sqn was the last squadron of the Royal Air Force never to have been disbanded prior to the withdrawal of the Jaguar early.

Not technically true - 6 squadron will stand up again in 2 years time flying Typhoons, so not gone forever. The last time 6 squadron was disbanded was around 1972-3 when the Jaguar replaced the Phantom FGR2. Even if for only a few days, 6 did stand down. Still, agree with your sentiment, thanks Tony!

Edited by Gary West