Bye bye Jaguars - 30th April end of

Gary West

If that's true then it's an absolute P*sser!

I'd decided I was going up there mid-May for some Jag's (amongst other things). So annoying to miss them by a fortnight, but no way I can make it this week :fraidnot:

Sounds like this will remain my only pic' of an airborne Jag...

IMG_0695.jpg

Steve.

Sad to see them go - the Jag was always a bit of a childhood favourite for me, and some of my first models were Jags - 1/72 Airfix Gr1 in 54 squadron marks, then in 1/48 I think the airfix Jag was my second ever kit in that scale....

Saying that, I am surprised they lasted so long - yes the GR3 upgrade meant it was quite good, but poor hot/high performance limited potential deployments (Kandahar was no go) and politics probably meant it wouldn't get sent anywhere in anger unless the brown stuff really hit the fan (being such an old airframe that was being replaced sending it into combat and seeing it do a good job might raise some questions). I expect its status as a single seat aircraft helped keep it around for that little bit longer, as something of a 'waiting room' aircraft to keep single seat trained pilots flying until single seat Typhoons came on stream in sufficient numbers.

What next for the flying canopers though? Typhoons?

It might not be the end for flying jag's as Everett Aero have static display aircraft from £7.500 and have airworthy aircraft with lots of hours left on them.

So there may be still a few flying perhaps not in the UK but they might turn up in South Africa.

If that's true then it's an absolute P*sser!

I'd decided I was going up there mid-May for some Jag's (amongst other things). So annoying to miss them by a fortnight, but no way I can make it this week :fraidnot:

Sounds like this will remain my only pic' of an airborne Jag...

IMG_0695.jpg

Steve.

But what a photo! :worthy:

Jen.

But what a photo!

Jen.

Thanks Jen,

I'd like to say it was the result of years of experience and Excellent technique ... but I can't lie to you guys :D .

Steve.

EaH Gods no! Not another ACE machine retired. I am getting old!

Having made a few kits of them in the past I don't have a single one at the moment, made or in the stash. Hopeless.

And that is a truly stunning photo Steve.

cheers

Grant

Maybe becasue they have pulled forward the OOS date by 5 months?

Right... with you. I'm sure I read somewhere else that they're holding them back from some duties, as they're a bit ashamed that they're still a competent airframe, even though they're scheduled to go out of service shortly.

Hi guys - as you say, all really sad news about the Jags.

I was up at Coningsby today and 9 Jags have come in from Lossie - looked superb! They should be about tomorrow, but it's unlikely we'll see much of them after that. I think they're not due to do anything after the end of May, although the word is they may make the Queen's borthday flypast - tradition and all that.

I just got the word at the last minute and as it's only 8 miles up the road, had to go and see!

Good luck and hope some of you guys can get a last look before this real classic disappears from Uk skies forever.... :undecided:

Best wishes,

Geoff

although the word is they may make the Queen's borthday flypast - tradition and all that.

Good point Geoff - your right, its tradition that exiting a/c take part in the Queens flypast in June. Always get to see it as the route into London takes them not far from here, so video at the ready again.

I was up at Coningsby today and 9 Jags have come in from Lossie - looked superb! They should be about tomorrow, but it's unlikely we'll see much of them after that. I think they're not due to do anything after the end of May, although the word is they may make the Queen's borthday flypast - tradition and all that.

I just got the word at the last minute and as it's only 8 miles up the road, had to go and see!

Good luck and hope some of you guys can get a last look before this real classic disappears from Uk skies forever.... :undecided:

Best wishes,

Geoff

I've also heard the rumour that the Jags will do the Queen's flypast....over Buck House and then through to the Kemble show on the same day/sortie. Can anyone confirm this?

Rich

Guest Hunter

Sad to hear the Jags days are almost over, twas a sad day when they as well as the Buccaneer stopped operating up here at Lossiemouth ... Hope I get to see one fly one last time.

Sad to hear the Jags days are almost over, twas a sad day when they as well as the Buccaneer stopped operating up here at Lossiemouth ... Hope I get to see one fly one last time.

You just missed 8 of them- they were up at Lossie on Monday

Never got to see a Jag flying :( Anyone know anywhere I could witness one?

Yes - Coningsby holding a Jaguar celebration weekend 29th June - 1st July and all previous Jag squadrons have been invited to attend - so Tornado's a plenty. The invitation has also been extended to the French AND the Oman AF & Indian AF. Could be very interesting but sadly the same bloody weekend as Waddington.