1/24 Leyland DAF DROPS with King Trailer

Okdoky

The trailer eyelet was built quite some time ago without the references or fasteners but matched the size of the new towing pintles perfectly without any additional filing.

Towingpintlesadded005.jpg

Nige

:D:D:D:D

That's quite interesting, many years ago (35 or so) I had a contract to make the rectangular box that the eye shaft runs through (it was a piece work job) and I made a couple of thousand of them. It was a hydraulic damper or possible a surge hitch which operated the brakes.

Edited by kitnut617

Hi Kitnut

I don't intend making a couple of thousand of the DAF DROPS that's for sure, tee hee. Is taking me all my time to make the one. But I am enjoying. Well is the box a close resemblance to what you had to make up on the real thing?

It was Steve Cruickshank that encouraged me with the shaping of those bits, so hopefully it is close enough.

Nige

It's close :goodjob:

The ones I made had a base plate of about 1/2" thick with 6 or 8 bolt holes (3 or 4 each side, I can't quite remember how many for sure), there were thicker vertical end plates about 3/4" or 1" which had a large hole made to be just under the diameter of the hitch shaft, this was because the part got machined out after it was all welded up. Once I welded these three parts together in a jig, a thin bit of bent plate (about 16 gauge) was installed between the two end plates and then welded to all three plates.

Like this but I think the corners of the base plate were rounded off:

hitchdamper.jpg

Odd thing we had to do before we started the job, we had to make a security area and then everything had to be made in this area which was fenced off, no one was allowed in who wasn't involved with the job, me and my mate made everything from scratch.

The photos that I took close up of the hitch are on my home PC but here is the model as I built it.

Towingpintlesadded004.jpg

It is amazing how security is so vital for the smallest item but then everyone can clamber around them on military open days. Did you have to watch out for the Russian Spy and his concealed camera?

Your for it now as you have just given away an official secret. Tee hee

Nige

As I said, you've done a good job.

I've seen them like how you show it too but I've not seen them on trailers like how I made them in real life. Wonder if the whole lot is still sitting in some warehouse somewhere :evil_laugh:

• 11 months later...

I have to make a big shout out to Iain, AKA grousebeater, from IPMS forum for taking the time out to make a couple of disks of much needed photos and information on the DAF to help me kick start the builds.

Met him at Stirling Services on his way back from his DHL run north where he hand delivered the disks and a few other nice bits of info on the new MAN and Wolf. This means I can get a few important reference pics printed off at work so that I can concentrate on important chassis items that, to date, were hidden details that were holding me up.

I would have had to fudge the chassis which is far too open when the flat rack is not mounted. Prop shafts, gear box, transmission, differentials, steering, suspension anti roll bars, brake systems and other useful running gear items are now much clearer now that Iain has taken photos from the maintenance pit.

Very much appreciated Iain and great to have made your acquaintance again after so many years.

Hopefully a KUTA and a resumption of progress on this stalled project.

Cheers

Nige

• 2 weeks later...

Had some time to work on DAF but not had Lappy dongle to put stuff up for view. Will hopefully post some pics soon as Mum in Law arrived at caravan with her lappy and dongle.

Wait ,,,,,,,,,, out !!!!!!!!!

Nige

Normal Service Has Resumed !!!!!!!!!!!! WELL AS NORMAL AS IT EVER GETS WITH ME ANYWAY !!!!!!! Back home early as my dear Dad in hospital. Making use of this time to post pics of progress while I can !!!!!!!

Start of hols at Lossie appeared to offer hope of glorious weather and lots of opportunities to work outside doing some Al-fresco model building.

dafdropslossie20114.jpg

Was not happy with the main frame in resin as there were inaccuracies with the pivot points that would have bit my bum later in the build if not corrected.

dafdropslossie20119.jpg

Plasticard cut to shape in three layers with spacers to form the front end and then a top and bottom sheet cut to make the 'A' frame section. A leather hole punch used to cut the rounded internal corners.

dafdropslossie201114.jpg

dafdropslossie201115.jpg

Side and internal faces of the 'A' frame help make for a more accurate shape and strong arm

dafdropslossie201117.jpg

dafdropslossie201121.jpg

dafdropslossie201119.jpg

dafdropslossie201122.jpg

Arron kept a good eye on Daddy to make sure he was doing a better job on the new parts

dafdropslossie20118.jpg

More to follow

Not happy with the pivot points for the HIAB gear, I chopped this one off and started again

DVC04563.jpg

Much improved version with more accurate shape formed using a combination of L , U and simple thin strips of plasticard

dafdropslossie201123.jpg

New hinges formed by lightly glued plasticard pieces (times four) to form laminated block. Drilling a hole through. Sanding to shape. Then using a sharp blade to de-laminate the four pieces.

dafdropslossie201128.jpg

Gripping tweezers used to hold the pieces in place in correct location while glue sets

dafdropslossie201127.jpg

dafdropslossie201126.jpg

Time to make pivot points on the main arm for the hydraulic rams to act on by laminating strips of card. Drilling, cutting and sanding to shape. Very fiddly but far more accurate and surprisingly strong

dafdropslossie201129.jpg

These are multi-faceted and were awkward to sand but well worth the effort

dafdropslossie201130.jpg

dafdropslossie201133.jpg

dafdropslossie201136.jpg

dafdropslossie201134.jpg

dafdropslossie201137.jpg

dafdropslossie201142.jpg

dafdropslossie201143.jpg

dafdropslossie201144.jpg

Time to work on the running gear now I have some better pics thanks to Grousebeater (Iain)> Much appreciated mate !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Second axle (non-driven) with a dropped beam arrangement to allow the prop shafts to pass through

dafdropslossie201157.jpg

Thick card forms the spine onto which thinner card added to top and bottom to form I section

dafdropslossie201158.jpg

dafdropslossie201160.jpg

The ends were laminated all around using thick card to allow a hole to be drilled which can accept aluminum tube to take the wheels

dafdropslossie201164.jpg

I had misjudged the length of the axles and had to move the lamination further inboard, re-drill and sand to get the correct track width.

dafdropslossie201178.jpg

dafdropslossie201172.jpg

Need to make the first (powered) steering axle. Laminated circles of card and added filler

dafdropslossie201161.jpg

dafdropslossie201162.jpg

Slightly oversized but will allow for much sanding to shape

dafdropslossie201168.jpg

Spliced into the axle of laminated strips plastic

dafdropslossie201169.jpg

dafdropslossie201170.jpg

The rear (fourth) driven axle has a very similar diff shape to the first axle so were made up at the same time to compare shape. First axle has square section, with third and fourth axle having circular section.

dafdropslossie201173.jpg

dafdropslossie201180.jpg

dafdropslossie201179.jpg

dafdropslossie201176.jpg

dafdropslossie201183.jpg

Third axle includes additional housings to accommodate (I PRESUME) low gearing, to transmit power to the rear through it and provide the options for locking diffs, etc.

dafdropslossie201174.jpg

dafdropslossie201175.jpg

dafdropslossie201177.jpg

dafdropslossie201182.jpg

Well that has got most of the work to date up . Hopefully not the last of progress. Please look at previous posts to see the earlier updates.

Nige

looking good mate!
Hi

The reworked skip hydraulic frame and boom is nice piece of work. The way u have worked with plastic card is really motivating.

Cheers,

rishi

Thanks guys for keeping the faith. Hopefully it is the much needed KUTA. Hopefully more progress soon.

Nige

Thanks guys for keeping the faith. Hopefully it is the much needed KUTA. Hopefully more progress soon.

Nige

not seen this post before.

fantastic scratchbuild.

i like the way you are stopping and starting instead of giving it up as so many of our projects seem to stagnate if we lose interest.

it's a pity that you did not decide to mould it as i am sure it would sell in droves.

i fancy making a military truck in 1/24th using one of the civilain truck models, but not got very far except the nato wheels and tyres and the basic truck kit.

i am currently making a foden drops in 1/76th scale but it will not be as detailed or as extensive as i need to resale them to gamers and modelers n a simple kit form.

you have, inspired me to get it finnished

thanks for showing

shaun

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Shaun and Radleigh

Thanks for the encouragement. I have no choice but to work on this in spits and spats. But that does add to the frustration and in a way, the appeal, as I never get bored of it.

Still got lots to learn about scratch building techniques, but there are so many great builders on the web sites to copy,,,,,,,,,,,, I mean learn from.

Got a tiny little bit of work added. But it still counts as work for me !!!!!

LHS rear roller assembly

DVC07595.jpg

DVC07596.jpg

DVC07597.jpg

DVC07599.jpg

DVC07598.jpg

Still have the angled rollers to work out yet but will see if I can add these today too.

Nige

A little correction to the main roller lengths and the addition of the guide rollers

DVC07601.jpg

DVC07600.jpg

DVC07602.jpg

DVC07603.jpg

Is nice to touch plastic for a change instead of poo bums and plasterboard !!!!! I must promise myself to do this more often.

Nige