1/24 Leyland DAF DROPS with King Trailer

Okdoky

Hi there folks new to the site

Working on a mainly Scratchbuilt construction of a truck and trailer combination I used to drive with the Territorial Army.

dp1.jpg

45114053.jpg

Home made resin HIAB Multilift hoak loader system was cast in a mould formed from gun applied silicon mastic in a plasticene mold box. Masters were carved from balsa wood

DROPSandKingTrailer007-1.jpg

Rear twin driven axles and leaf springs use altered set from a heavy duty Merc rig

DROPSreardriveaxles001.jpg

Sidelockerandreardrive004.jpg

DROPSreardriveaxles004.jpg

Resin cab is from KFS (plasticard attempt maid prior to KFS cab going into production)

DROPSandKingTrailer011.jpg

DROPSandKingTrailer009.jpg

Wheels also KFS with alterations

KFStyresgetworkedover003.jpg

KFSresincabandwheelsalterations002.jpg

KFSresincabandwheelsalterations001.jpg

Test fit of truck

DROPSandKingTrailer008.jpg

and trailer

DROPSandKingTrailer007.jpg

Combination will have a scale length of 700mm approx

DROPSandKingTrailer003.jpg

Side locker construction

Sidelockerandreardrive002.jpg

Correcting first attempt at hook arm using plasticard

DROPSandKingTrailer007-1.jpg

Hookarmandmainframeconstruction004.jpg

KFSresincabandwheelsalterations015.jpg

KFSresincabandwheelsalterations013.jpg

Hope you like. More pics to follow soon as build has progressed since.

Seasons greatings to all on here and I hope to browse round all the variou threads in time.

Nige

G'day Nige, and welcome to the forums a.k.a the pit of insanity!

You just know it's gotta be serious scratchbuilding when you see the micrometer on the work bench! That's pretty impressive work there, too - I don't know a lot about trucks, but it's looking like a lot of work. What percentage of this would be cannabalised from other kits?

Cheers from NZ

Mike

Hi Mike

It is hard to say what amount of cannabilisation of kits I will get away with

Plan A

Look over the plans and pick an area

Hunt the Spares box to see what fits or is close

Go in a huff when can't find

Plan B

Look at aftermarket companies for something to fit or close

Go in a huff when can't find it or is too expensive

Plan C

Try to scratch it

Go in a huff when I ain't got a clue how the hell to start it.

Plan D

Ask how on these sites

More progress pics

Altering the resin cab

DROPSandKingTrailerdryfit_006.jpg

Drilling out the cupola with a stepped drill bit

KFSresincabandwheelsalterations009.jpg

Cupola cover and ring is from a milk carton (was a perfect diameter)

KFSresincabandwheelsalterations010.jpg

Got to get rid of remainder of civvy roof vent

KFSresincabandwheelsalterations011.jpg

Got to replicate the corrugated roof sections around cupola by scribing and scraping.

KFSresincabandwheelsalterations012.jpg

Tape to protect surrounding areas

DVC00331.jpg

Taking time here was worth it as cab roof looks good

DVC00332.jpg

Installing cupola

DVC00333.jpg

Weapons mount brackets

DVC00334.jpg

Side lockers needed to be cut out of cab for storage of ratchet straps

KFSresincabandwheelsalterations006.jpg

KFSresincabandwheelsalterations007.jpg

KFSresincabandwheelsalterations008.jpg

Dry fit to check progress of work

DVC00339.jpg

DVC00337.jpg

DVC00340.jpg

DVC00335.jpg

DVC00336.jpg

Hope you like

All the best

Nige

The King trailer build

I adjusted the wooden jig I used to make the truck chassis by widening the rail width

DROPSandKingTrailer022.jpg

Nails were used to hold the two end rails where the iso locks are located

DROPSandKingTrailer023.jpg

Turntable ring from fire ladder kit used for dolly axle turntable

DROPSandKingTrailer010-1.jpg

Towing hitch formed from plastic tube heated and flatened then sanded and drilled

DROPSandKingTrailer012-1.jpg

Hitch rotates freely on internal pin to allow truck and trailer to take on rough ground

DROPSandKingTrailer014.jpg

Dolly axle, hitch triangle and hitch itself all will rotate freely giving ability to pose model on rough terrain dio (hopefully rear axle of truck model will also allow a high degree of articulation to be posed)

DROPSandKingTrailer004-1.jpg

Trailer spare wheel hanger

DROPSandKingTrailer019.jpg

Front end of trailer

DROPSandKingTrailer020.jpg

Rear of trailer

DROPSandKingTrailer021.jpg

As it stands for now

DROPSandKingTrailer007.jpg

Hope you like

Nige

Nige,

It looks superb having driven DROPS many times its a joy to see your project develop Good Luck with it. Some wonderful skill in its construction.

looking forward to the finished kit

regards Tam

Hi Tam

It is great to build something with a connection. Are you still in the Army and are you with RLC? I am still lacking some detail pics and construction information. Would you be in a position to assist? I am also trying to build 1/24 Bedford MK's and possibly TM much later. Any info you might be able to find again would be greatly appreciated.

I am trying to find chassis and GS body dimension and componant drawings to scale to scratchbuild from.

Hope to hear from ya

Thanks

Nige

Ayup Nige,

Excellent build. May I suggest you contact Peter White, editor of Truck Model World magazine, I'm sure he'd find it interesting. Incidentally, I noticed you used the slewing ring from the Turntable Ladder kit to use as a basis for the dolly on the trailer, what are you doing with the rest of the parts rom the kit?

Nick.

I dont do Wheely Thingys but Im looking forward to this being finished, whats next, a Bedford MK/J or TM? I used to drive both spent many unhappy hours behind the wheel of the barsteward bucket of bolts, but this Wheely Thingy looks good so far :goodjob:

Bex

Hi there Becky

This is a blog I started on a Bedford MK build I hope to have running parallel with the DROPS.

http://armorama.kitmaker.net/modules.php?o...d=108906#897400

Running into a bit of a brick wall on drawings and dimensions to get a start on it though. Early days, and I have put a few more feelers out for detailing.

http://www.britmodeler.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8413

Having driven them, would you have any such info or pics?

Glad you like

Nige

Hi there

I am sure some really great resin maker has got the vehicle lined up for production in 1/35, but being in resin it will probably cost heaps. My first model that I collected of the DROPS in 1/50 die-cast is by Smith Autos and cost me a wacking 120 pounds way back in 1991.

The resin cab for the 1/24 scale is 65 pounds. It was a must have but it was as heavy in the pocket as the amount of resin. Shame this process is so expensive. It is a lovely vehicle and the KFS parts are nicely detailed and easily worked on for these wee conversion tweeks.

Nige

Bloody hell great work ..shame there isn't a kit of this one in 35 scale

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folks

I found these at a craft shop and wondered what you think of them for use as the NATO towing pintle for the DROPS?

PossibleNATOtowingpintle002.jpg

They are used for necklasses and the like but to my mind have a reasonable resemblance to the pintles. It looks like it would be easy enough to secure them to the chassis using the ring and might allow it to pivot if shown towing a fixed eyelet trailer. The advantage of allowing the pintle to be opened and closed instead of having to make a cut in a plastic version. I know I would never get a plastic hinge to work at that scale.

I have still to get the sizes of the real pintles to scale it down but I know these come in a few sizes.

What do you think?

Nige

Making a start on the trailer axles and leaf springs

Kingtraileraxles007.jpg

Found an unusual source for the first leaf of spring by straightening out a 'u' shaped strip of metal that last saw action in my wifes bra that dug in too much (to my wife,,,,,,,,,,,,,not me I hasten to add). She's not got my size!!!!!!!

Kingtraileraxles009.jpg

The additional layers of plastic strip made up the 7 leafs on each

Kingtraileraxles008.jpg

I decided to drill out the centre rear of the resin hubs to insert plastic tubes that will in turn insert directly into the axles so that I can spray the model with the resin wheels off as they will hang heavy on the axle and spring hangers

Kingtraileraxles001.jpg

I had to build up the height of the rear axle sring hangers as per the real trailer using plasticard (laminated and glued to give me the thickness I needed as I had no plasticard thick enough)

Kingtraileraxles003.jpg

These will be glued onto the axles and will have a plate and "U" bolts added

Kingtraileraxles006.jpg

Kingtraileraxles004.jpg

Nige

This is looking very impressive indeed, I'm in awe of your scratch building skills Nige.

Had a peak at the KFS site you mentioned, I'd be happy to see the Alvis Stalwart kit go into production. I was a lucky boy and got to drive one as part of my 21st birthday pressie :D

Watching intently :popcorn:

Hi Rory

That is one big muckle paperweight to keep on your workbench,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, No chance of your model instructions blowing away!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the proportions and that gives me a good idea as to how to add some detail to the fasteners to see if I can get them looking more like this.

I think I will also have a try at carving a plastic one to see how close I can get. It scales out about 6mm by 6mm. What is the thickness of the jaw head? Looks around about 40-50mm.

Thanks for the great pictures

Nige

I know this is a daft question and shows you how observant I was during my time in the TA, but the towing pintles were a standard size for both trucks and the landies, yeh?

I tended to do a lot of thinking about the driving of them and the soldiering bit, rather than the techy bits and what if's of breaking down on the road. I have very little skills regarding the mechanics of the vehicles. Wish i had paid more attention, might of saved my self a fortune on car repairs.

Was great to get to play with the trucks and if they broke down, someone else fixed them!!!!!!

Thanks again Rory and fab pics

Nige

Still working on the King trailer axles

'U' bolts added by pinching the copper wire holding balloons that my kids got in the shopping mall over xmas. What a bad daddy. Had to burst their balloons first!!! Front axle of trailer has the leaf springs fixed directly on top of the axle

Kingtraileraxleconstruction007.jpg

The rear axle has blocks added to give the rear of the trailer the same ride height as the front

Kingtraileraxleconstruction006.jpg

Kingtraileraxleconstruction003.jpg

Kingtraileraxleconstruction002.jpg

Kingtraileraxleconstruction001.jpg

The wheels are fitted to plastic tube that is inserted into the trailer axles

Kingtraileraxleconstruction005.jpg

Kingtraileraxleconstruction004.jpg

It's getting there slowly

Nige

:-H :-H :-H :-H

:whip:

Get on with it ...........work harder :whip: .........your slowing up :whip::coolio:

:crap:

Doing Good Nige...found a little towing eye --so get the big one done :D

DSCF3265.jpg

TIP....build it up with 3 laminated strips ..... and you will get it to work .....sorry no vid :D

aye

BARV

Edited by BARV