1/48 Hawk T1a Red Arrows pair

Never done anything in less than 1:72 so this will be a first.....

I'm after a desk mascot and was thinking of a Red Arrow Hawk T1a.

Quick hunt on the forum and I'm inspired by Speedy's Red Arrow (see build thread here) I decided a element pair both semi inverted performing a climbing turn close pass would look very lovelly on my desk. I'm also thinking of adding the lights as per Speedy's build as the nights are drawing in and I'm not leaving my work desk til it's dark so I will at least get the benefit of the lit parts.

But which is the best kit to use?

Revell 1:32 (bit big if there will be two!)

Airfix 1:48

Italieri 1:48

This will be an all the bells and whistles so I'm after lots of aftermarket (Noticed that CMK do interior kits for both airfix and Italieri)

Do all these kits come with pilots? (as I'll want a stick jockey in the front seat of each of the pair!)

Whats the fit and quality of these kits?

Are they all recessed panel details (I could re-scribe but I'd rather not as the washes I'll use will show all the tiny errors)

Any other / better kits?

I'd appreciate your thoughts to help me buy.

TFB

P.S. and of course this thread will morph into the WIP once I've bought everything and got started.

Edited by Flying Badger

Hi Badger,

Just a quick reply from me, i'm sure others will have more in-depth knowledge...

I have just finished the Airfix 1/48 - (see here...) not a bad kit - recessed panel lines, comes with aircrew, good overall fit, some accuracy issues and lacking in detail in some parts - can be picked up for a steal on ebay.

I have also got the Italeri 1/48 kit in the stash and its excellent, comes with etched parts and nice decal sheet so would recommend that, not built it yet so don't know about accuracy & fit, but should imagine its pretty good - bit pricy though and no aircrew.

Revell 1/32 is pretty good by all accounts - but not built that either!

Recommend Neomega for cockipt/seat upgrade - can be a bit slow in getting bits though if out of stock in the UK.

Cheers

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

So to start this as a proper WIP here are the starting materials (2 of everything so far):

DSCN1555.jpg

And the aftermarket additions:

DSCN1557.jpg

In addition I have 2 metal detail probes for the nose of these (but I forgot them in the pics!) - must remember to be careful with those as they are a bit sharp!

TFB

So far I have added the central resin section (with the full jet intake pipes)

DSCN1541.jpg

Fairly easy as the cuts are along panel lines, although it will still require a bit of filling and sanding:

DSCN1544.jpg

Also been working on the cockpit and canopy:

DSCN1542.jpg

DSCN1543.jpg

If anyone else has the CMK interior set... beware cutting the internal blast divider screen in order to match the resin part - its really easy to crack it:

DSCN1539.jpg

Fortunately the screen thickness is the same as the plastic in a CD case so I managed to very carefully make a new one! (lots of polishing with micromesh to get it clear.

More as I do it (assuming the Harrier doesn't suck up all my time!

TFB

Rabspat - yeah I'd seen that. I used it to very good efect on the 1/72 hawk I've got on the bench as well at the moment (just needs decals and panel wash).

But this build will probably use the vacform canopy so that it shows off the internals - the CMK set includes some PE with an MDC.

TFB