Help with an Airfix DH Mosquito MkXVIII 1/72...

Marcelo_Campos

Dear guys. Now i'm back with a big project: RE-BUILD A D.H. MOSQUITO MkXVIII AIRFIX.

I explain: last week a friend gave to me a kit in bad shape. I saw it and i was surprise because it was a Mosquito but i didn't know what is the brand of it.

Well, i did a little search in the web and i found that is a Airfix kit number 03019. But now i have a big problem. The kit was build withaout any technique, no painting.

Some parts are lost like propelers, main landing gear (both one i broke when i was disassembled the kit). I managed disassemble all the kit except the tail section. My friend glued all the internal area of the tail. My solution was cut with a sewing thread the section before the tail and just one half of the fuselage. It works! After some minutes fighting with a razor blade against an old and well glued kit, i win.

Now the bad part. I wrote to airfix asking about the missing parts and a new decal sheet and they charge me. I think this service was free?!?

Today, when i'm searching in the web about colors and camouflage for this kit i saw this kit for sale: AFX3062 - D.H. Mosquito NF.XIX.JX.30.

afx3062.jpg

I was very surprise with this brand new kit. My questions:

1 - is that correct airfix charge me?

2 - the kit NFXIX/JX30 have the others pieces like the nose of MKXVIII?

3 - does anyone have a scan of manual of AFX3062 - D.H. Mosquito NF.XIX.JX.30.

And now i ask for all guys here does anyone have spare parts for this plane.

Thanks a lot. mArcelo

pa210014g.jpg

pa210015.jpg

pa210016l.jpg

I want to make this version:

mosquitoy.jpg

Marcelo

The free parts service are for when people buy a kit and parts are missing - this being the manufacturer's fault - not for replacing bits that one buyer has already used.

However, the Mk.XIX kit contains all the parts for the earlier version plus additional props and nose for the Mk.XIX night fighter. I think it contains the transfer sheet for all versions too, but it is a long time since I bought it and my example has been well-shuffled since and mixed with other versions.

Hi Marcello: please don't take this as harsh, it's not meant to be but Should you be charged? Well in that Airfix were without fault, and you wanted some parts to re build a broken kit, yes. You'd expect to be paid for a service or goods wouldn't you?

Airfix are happy to replace or supply missing or faulty parts at no charge, and sometimes will even supply some broken parts free, but you asked for parts AND decals. That's a lot to ask for when it's not their fault.

As for the other questions: Yes, the new kit has all the parts. ( And it's not expensive, you'd be better building a new one frankly)

And I am sorry but I cant help with instructions or parts. Good luck :-)

Hi

I did not know that Airfix did this service, ( I know they do the missing part service & that is very good )

How much do they charge for parts ?

I currently buy a kit to scrap for parts/conversions, but this could be a more cost efective way for my hobby budget.

Cheers

Jerry

Hi guys.

I'm not questioning about the charge, i think thats this service was free but it's allright anyway! No problem with it!

So. The DH Mosquito by Airfix NF.XIX/J.30 kit number 03062, have all the parts to build a MkXVIII (Airfix kit number 03019) plus addtional parts for earlier Mosquito?

At the moment i need a scan of MkXIX kit manual....

Thanks a lot. MArcelo

PS: maybe i'll buy the new one. The price is very good...

MArcelo

Having just completed that NF.XIX kit, I'll note that yes, all the bits for the earlier kit are in the box including both noses.

The decal sheet only has decals for a NF.XIX and a J.30. And the decal sheet is useless anyways, the decals are thick but have very poor colour fastness so they're pretty much unusable (even if you underspray the D-Day stripes with white to fix the poor white sections, the red codes and roundels still show black through the red).

Dear guys. Now i'm back with a big project: RE-BUILD A D.H. MOSQUITO MkXVIII AIRFIX.

I explain: last week a friend gave to me a kit in bad shape. I saw it and i was surprise because it was a Mosquito but i didn't know what is the brand of it.

<snip>

pa210014g.jpg

pa210015.jpg

pa210016l.jpg

<snip>

Marcelo

Wow, I've never seen one of those moulded in that colour - in fact, come to think of it, I've never seen any Airfix kit moulded in that colour!

John

I asked for the decal sheet and instructions from the 'G' for George Lancaster boxing after finding out the alternative markings were from a Canadian Lanc called 'Ropey'

I was totally honest and they said they would supply the sheets at a cost of £3.50 including postage. I rang up and paid and they were sent out recorded delivery :yahoo: I can now build the Lancaster I want without being dishonest or having to buy a whole new kit.

As mentioned, the decals in the XIX/J30 kit are pants, I bought these instead

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/MMMD7201

Chris

Wow, I've never seen one of those moulded in that colour - in fact, come to think of it, I've never seen any Airfix kit moulded in that colour!

John

Hi

Apparently airfix new zealand production, I have a whirlwind fighter in this colour .

Also another one in black, but I don't know where this one came from.

Cheers

Jerry

I asked for the decal sheet and instructions from the 'G' for George Lancaster boxing after finding out the alternative markings were from a Canadian Lanc called 'Ropey'

I was totally honest and they said they would supply the sheets at a cost of £3.50 including postage. I rang up and paid and they were sent out recorded delivery

Chris

Hi

great to know,and a good price,it might save me buying complete kits in the future.

Cheers

Jerry

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi Marcello,

I see that yiou have been lucky with parts. But if you need any others for the Airfix kit I have a few spares left over you can have for cost of sending out to you.  Just let me know what you need if any. Cheers.