Airfix 1/72 Nimrod

Hi All. Nearly three years ago I was given a photo display board with a picture of XV254 on it. There and then I decided to build Airfix's representation of the Nimrod in the same colours and markings. I wanted to do it at the point of rotation, but it took a little while to work out how to do it. Apart from a few minor bits this is OOB with Xtracrylix main colours. I lost a main wheel so got the mastercasters wheel set and I have put the front mudguards 'somewhere safe' to dry after painting. When they turn up I'll fit them! This baby is going to an ex Woodford friend of mine who doesn't know it's coming. I hope he has plenty of space......

Inspiration:

Nimroda01.jpg

Execution:

Nimroda1.jpg

Nimroda4.jpg

Nimroda3.jpg

Nimroda2.jpg

The undercarriage was adjusted like this:

Nimrodb1.jpg

And the cockpit frame was done by masking and brushing thickened paint..........

Nimrodb2.jpg

To tell the truth I am glad it is done and I can get on with something else without this hanging over me.

This is a great looking model. I never used to be a fan (didn't actually know anything at all about the plane to be honest) until I went to the Norwich Aviation Museum and had a hour and a half long tour with one of the guys who used to fly on that Nimrod. Think the number was XV255. Very interesting stuff.

Anyway great looking build.

Cy