Airfix Vickers Valiant WP209

Hello all.

Here is my completed Airfix Vickers Valiant - my first big build. I have selected my Valiant as the one used for weapons research trials in Woomera, South Australia. I found it to be a little different to a normal Valiant. I used the excellent Model Alliance Decals - part 3 V-bombers. I hade a few problems, mainly with the paint. I used Humbrol 56 aerosol but after 3 coats, the finish was rubbish.

So, with fine rubbing down, I hand painted over the top and so it all blended in and was smoother rather than the rough finish with the aerosol. I also had to take off the fin votex generators as I could not get the fin flash decal to sit correctly, but it's not that noticable.

Enjoy.

Idox5z.jpg

FvB1Az.jpg

OGeV5x.jpg

vFlRNS.jpg

P1BQwO.jpg

XgeHnP.jpg

QkNRCI.jpg

6s3qNo.jpg

gBl6C0.jpg

1oVLa9.jpg

Edited by wavodavo
  • Like 12

Very nice build and a good choice of colour scheme with the Aussie roundels on the fuselage. I shall have to put a Valiant on the Telford shopping list.

Andrew

Beautiful build there, she looks so sleek in the High Speed Silver-type scheme. Good to see some evidence of other hobbies in the GWR books and DVDs behind!

Oh yes - 187 Daleks, 50+ locos obviously not forgetting the aircraft lol.

• 8 months later...

I came across this because I was researching my father, Doug Fish, who was navigator on the Woomera Valiant - see http://www.flightglobal.com/FlightPDFArchi...%20-%201100.PDF

I was intrigued by the Australian Roundel as it does not feature in my pictures - I did some more research and it would seem that WP 209 also took part in the Blue Steel trials in Australia in the early 1960s when it definitely had an Australian Roundel as you show it. I do not know how to insert pictures from my files on this forum but if you could tell me I can upload one of my photos if you are interested.

piscene1 said:
I came across this because I was researching my father, Doug Fish, who was navigator on the Woomera Valiant - see http://www.flightglobal.com/FlightPDFArchi...%20-%201100.PDF

I was intrigued by the Australian Roundel as it does not feature in my pictures - I did some more research and it would seem that WP 209 also took part in the Blue Steel trials in Australia in the early 1960s when it definitely had an Australian Roundel as you show it. I do not know how to insert pictures from my files on this forum but if you could tell me I can upload one of my photos if you are interested.

Hello.

It's one of those subjects where it is in writing but not in pictures. the only pic I found was this on a forum dated 1960/61 for Blue Steel, like you have said.

DTGaez.jpg

Any pics would be great. To post photos on here all you have to do is have a Photobucket account and upload your photos. To post them on thread here, hover over ther photo you have uploaded and a menu will show up, just click on the IMG code and this should have copied a like to your photo then just paste it into your post.

Dave

Edited by wavodavo

• 2 years later...

Excellent build, the Valiant can be built  into a very nice model, I know Airfix were disappointed in some ways, as when talking to them at the Airfix stand at Telford that would of done it different, similar to the Victor and new Vulcan in the detail and accuracy