Aircraft in Miniature 1/72nd scale Boeing 747-300 KLM

still amazing work Tom

but.....

I'm not letting you off the hook here...:)...not at 1/72nd scale anyway

the apu exhaust should be square, not round;

saudiclassic1_tail1.jpg

and the wing tip aerials need to be further out; they arent inboard of the tips but right on the tips

and in case anybody thinks I'm being over-critical or whatever, no I'm not; just trying to be helpful...

and I've known Tom for a long time, I know he's a fab modeller, always has been.

still amazing work Tom

but.....

I'm not letting you off the hook here... :) ...not at 1/72nd scale anyway

the apu exhaust should be square, not round;

and the wing tip aerials need to be further out; they arent inboard of the tips but right on the tips

Hi Kev,

Thanks for the picture; I'll square the APU outlet.

As for the wing-tip aerials... I knew when I put them in that they should be right at the tip, but also knowing how clumsy I can be and the fact that this will be in and out of the car when going to shows etc I decided to cater for the fact they would get a beating! Therefore, I have moved them slightly inwards to make their attachemt stronger, as sod's law would dictate they'd get knocked off in no time at all. Considering how many times the tips have hit my desk or the wall when putting the wings on, I'm glad I did!

Not 100% accurate I know, but I want this model to stand the test of time, so I thought a little bit of poetic license wouldn't harm... unless a perfectionist like you notices of course... :P

Hi Kev,

....knowing how clumsy I can be....as sod's law would dictate they'd get knocked off in no time at all. Considering how many times the tips have hit my desk or the wall when putting the wings on,

.......a little bit of poetic license wouldn't harm... unless a perfectionist like you notices of course... :P

tips getting knocked off......ummm......tell me about it.

I want to know which idiot at Boeing decided to put them there; obviously whoever it was hated modellers.....

as to poetic thingys.....

it does harm it does it does it does

:angrysoapbox.sml:

:deadhorse:

:chair:

perfectionist?

where?

how about making some kind of detachable fixing so you can put them in at a show but leave them off when not on display?

just thinking aloud........

I added some car body filler yesterday and allowed 24hrs for it to harden right up.

This morning I got the wings sanded and blended in... I'm pleased how they went, with no major problems at all. The join is now very strong and I can comfortably lift the model by the wing-tips without any problems... there's even a realistic wing flex too!

IMG_0977.jpg

IMG_0974.jpg

IMG_0975.jpg

After a quick coat of primer it'll be final detailing before I can commence with paintng.

Edited by tomprobert

After a quick coat of primer it'll be final detailing before I can commence with paintng.

does the detailing include the fillet at the wing roots?

NWA747-200_1-1.jpg

saudi742_1-1.jpg

fwiw I havent seen any manufacturer get this right yet, not ever :)

not even hasagawa......

does the detailing include the fillet at the wing roots?

fwiw I havent seen any manufacturer get this right yet, not ever :)

not even hasagawa......

More cracking shots Kev... I hadn't seen that fairing close-up like that before.

Fear not I'll have a go at re-creating it using milliput. Wish me luck...

More cracking shots Kev... I hadn't seen that fairing close-up like that before.

Fear not I'll have a go at re-creating it using milliput. Wish me luck...

Do you need luck?...I have total faith in you Tom

Spotted it now! I've never seen that before - no idea what it's for but must be part of the APU set up.

yes it is - it surprises me sometimes how much gets missed when it comes to making models, but it depends on what you want to do;

a straight build from the box, just as it comes is fine - I have plenty like that, but I also like to add detail

I've had a go at making the wing to fuselage fairing seen on 747 Classics today. I have used Milliput to form the basic shape and then this will be sanded and blended further. I simply rolled the Milliput into a thin sausage and pushed it into the join. Then, with a wet finger I blended the whole thing in:

IMG_1010.jpg

I'm slowly getting there, the next task will be to tackle the vents seen on the rear underside of the fuselage.

Looking good, you are not going to see many of these being made to this standard

Thanks Kev, hopefully you'll not be disappointed when you see her finished!