Aircraft in Miniature 1/72nd scale Boeing 747-300 KLM

I've been experimenting with some more weathering on the 747. I've had a look at quite a few pictures of KLM 747-300s and the amount of dirt does vary significantly from plane to plane.

One area where there is often grime is on the flaps and spoilers, so I've had a go at addng some of the dirt:

IMG_1141.jpg

IMG_1140.jpg

The underside behind the main landing gear bays is also streaked with grease, hydraulic and dirt:

IMG_1145.jpg

The APU area and rudder also seem to accumulate their fair share of grime and muck:

IMG_1143.jpg

The areas around the rain gutters, door sills and the rear cargo door are fairly dirty as well:

IMG_1147.jpg

I've also added rain streaks here and there on the fuselage.

I have used thinned Humrol Matt Black, German Camoflage Grey, Sand and Dark Brown to create the various streaks seen on the aircraft. Later in the week I'm hoping to finish off weathering the landing gear and engines.

Toms743_2.jpg

You're quite right Kev, there are varous pistons and cables still to add. I don't suppose you have any more pictures of the wing gear like the previous ones? Thaey were most helpful.

I can go look - need a couple of days tho

btw...

the apu inlet on the right side of the tail cone does not usually have grime streaking back from it

the outlet on the other side does....actually it's one of the filthiest parts of any 747, any version :)

You might also have a go at using pencil lead for dirt -

make a mark where you want your dirt to start, then rub it in the direction of airflow staining

best part of this is if you dont like it, you can wipe it off and do it again :)

another thing that you might find useful -

take a VERY sharp pencil and run it throiugh the flap and spoiler lines, then rub your finger to the trailing edge

you may not want to leave the streaks but it should highlight the flaps and spoilers more

I've completed the weathering to a standard I'm happy with. Streaks are often seen from the spoliers and flaps so I've added these to the tops of the wings:

S1030181.jpg

S1030180.jpg

I've also finished the APU and rudder area. They get seriously mucky on the 747:

S1030179.jpg

The final little pieces have been added such as lights (from LittleCars.com) and the aerials and drains which are found around the airframe. These were made from thin plastic card. I also added the four pitot heads on the forward fuselage...

And then she was done!

S1030182.jpg

Many people have asked about the size of this model throughout the build, and in the above photo I've put my iphone and a tin of Humbrol paint to give an idea of the size.

And at £150 was it value for money? A resounding YES! I have enjoyed every second of this build, although it was one of the most challenging I've ever undertaken. When considering the amount of hours I've put in, I think it would work out as mere pennies per hour.

My hat goes off to Neil Guant at Aircraft in Miniature for producing kits like this... although Anigrand have now released a 1/72nd 747 it is not a patch on this kit (in my opinion) when it comes to accuracy and capturing 'the look' of the Queen of the Skies.

And would I build another one? Again, a resounding YES. I think a 747-400 conversion may well be tacked one day!

For those who are interested, there will be more pictures in Ready for Inspection.

Tom

• Like 1

Well done buddy, a top build. Have a look at the home page on draws website

Yes just seen that... I'll have to see what comission I can get out of him!

• 4 weeks later...

:clap2: This evening I had the pleasure of seeing this model in the flesh when Tom brought it along to the Medway Model Club monthly meeting. All I can say is that it is fantastic, the detail and finish is superb, and has to be seen to be believed, one cannot realy imagine how large it is, and when I put my 1/72 Airfix Sabre under the nose, it was lost. Thank you Tom for bringing it along.

Robin.

:clap2: This evening I had the pleasure of seeing this model in the flesh when Tom brought it along to the Medway Model Club monthly meeting. All I can say is that it is fantastic, the detail and finish is superb, and has to be seen to be believed, one cannot realy imagine how large it is, and when I put my 1/72 Airfix Sabre under the nose, it was lost. Thank you Tom for bringing it along.

Robin.

Thanks Robin, you are very kind. I glad you liked her!

See you at Expo!

Tom