Aircraft in Miniature 1/72nd scale Boeing 747-300 KLM

Looking absolutley brilliant Tom. Flawless workmanship, I've thoroughly enjoyed watching this,

Cheers,

John

[Edit] What are you going to build next ? Is there a 1/72 A340-600 ? :thumbsup: [/edit]

Edited by Viking

Looking absolutley brilliant Tom. Flawless workmanship, I've thoroughly enjoyed watching this,

Cheers,

John

[Edit] What are you going to build next ? Is there a 1/72 A340-600 ? :thumbsup: [/edit]

Many thanks John.

I wouldn't go quite as far as 'flawless', but nevertheless I'm pretty pleased so far.

As for a 1/72 A340... well that would be lovely! There isn't one available yet, but you never know. I have a DC-10 on my 'to do' list though, so I may take the plunge and do a British Caledonian one.

But then I also quite like the idea of a 767 too, and a DC-8, and the A310 is also nice...

One... must... control... ones... self! :D

I've been working on getting the gear bays completed this week before I begin installing the landing gear properly.

I used this picture of the bays to guide me on the internal colouring:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Cathay-Paci...F%29/2026634/M/

As you can see they are a sand colour in this photo, so that's the route I've gone down. I have seen other pictures where the bays are grey, but I think this adds a splash of colour to an otherwise fairly drab underside.

First up was masking the bay areas:

IMG_1093.jpg

Then the bays themselves were sprayed using Humbrol sand:

IMG_1094.jpg

IMG_1095.jpg

I've also scratch-built the doors using plastic card and Evergreen strip. Here is the fuselage gear doors in the process of being painted:

IMG_1097.jpg

And here are the finished doors ready for installation when needed:

IMG_1098.jpg

IMG_1099.jpg

The exterior of the doors are Dove Grey.

Now I can progress with getting the landing gear installed... I'll keep you posted.

Tom

Edited by tomprobert

dont look that hard to build you should be able to do it

If you've never tackled a vac before, my advise is to steer well clear of a kit such as this... it'll put you off for life!

Cut your teeth on a Welsh Models kit... they are the best vacforms I've ever built. When you've got a few 'under your belt', then give something like this a go.

Just my :2c:

you missed some detail on the inside of the doors........

Tell me more...

More progress on the undercarriage...

The nose wheel has been done. The etched brass that comes from the kit was easy to use and fitted really well. It definately enhances the look of the metal leg. Here is the nose gear with the wheels being test fitted:

IMG_1118.jpg

The main gear has lots of wiring etc, so these were used to represent this - Little Cars 0.2mm black wire and some old electrical cable:

IMG_1121.jpg

The etched brass retraction gear on the body undercarriage had some Evergreen strip added to reduce the 2D effect:

IMG_1106.jpg

Here are the body legs and struts in place before painting and addition of the pipe work:

IMG_1107.jpg

Some piping and outboard doors added:

IMG_1108.jpg

All doors attached:

IMG_1114.jpg

And finally, a test fit of the wheels:

IMG_1120.jpg

Next job will be the wing gear.

Tom

If you've never tackled a vac before, my advise is to steer well clear of a kit such as this... it'll put you off for life!

Cut your teeth on a Welsh Models kit... they are the best vacforms I've ever built. When you've got a few 'under your belt', then give something like this a go.

Just my :2c:

Tell me more...

Yes done loads of vacform kits and got many more to do will be getting one of these tho I like the challenge

Yes done loads of vacform kits and got many more to do will be getting one of these tho I like the challenge

A man after my own heart... :)

...I could do it and make a nice kit of it

The trick with something like this is to concentrate on it and it only.

By all means take a break from it if you need to, but otherwise, dont get distracted and start doing other kits - just stick to one and above all,

take your time!!!

I've known Tom for years and he's always been a very talented guy, but for me to do something like this would mean doing it over a lot longer period, I couldnt do it as quick as he has.

btw Tom - gear door detail....go check out as many close ups of 747 gears as you can find; there is a wealth of things to add....the average jet aircraft has awesomely complex gear and gear bays.....so I'm not letting you off the hook with this beauty

:devil:

:wicked:

tom - re the gear details....

you said; "tell me more"

ok....

747P-mains0.jpg

747-nose2.jpg

747-mains8_bodyleft1.jpg

747-mains5.jpg

747-mains3.jpg

747-mains1a.jpg

hope these help....and I expect to see all the wires, cables, jungle etc......

by expo....

I'm always amazed at what a complex structure the average jet gear is....

:)

tom - re the gear details....

you said; "tell me more"

ok....

hope these help....and I expect to see all the wires, cables, jungle etc......

by expo....

I'm always amazed at what a complex structure the average jet gear is....

:)

Brilliant Kev, thank you. Also very useful for the weathering under there!

I've got the majority of the landing gear done now, just a few more pipes to add here and there.

Here are the main undercarriage units at the start of the process, with the wheels being test fitted to make sure everything sat level:

IMG_1123.jpg

Here the legs have been cut to the correct height, and some initial pipe work added (I presume they are some form of break lines and hydraulics):

IMG_1124.jpg

These few show the legs and wheels painted and in situ:

IMG_1125.jpg

IMG_1128.jpg

IMG_1132.jpg

IMG_1134.jpg

IMG_1137.jpg

I've also started to do a little weathering and add some grime to represent that seen on an inservice aircraft:

IMG_1135.jpg

IMG_1136.jpg

I've still got to add the brake equaliser pipework and add some more weathering. I'll add more pictures when this is complete.

Nearly there!