Aircraft in Miniature 1/72nd scale Boeing 747-300 KLM

...once brake lines, hydraulics, retraction gear.....are fitted

Tom

I should think so!

Actually the gear is amazingly complex - want some piccies?

I expect - no....demand (hehehehehehehe)....to see EVERYTHING on this; it's a work of art

brilliant work Tom

Now that is looking good, very impressed with your build on this, the thing looks huge, I have only ever seen one built up and that was at Telford I think it was the BOAC one, could be wrong though, hopefully see it at Milton Keynes or the Southern then

Thanks for all the positive feedback chaps! It certainly keeps me motivated...

Anyway, it's been dry and mild here in Kent today so I've got her laquered. Luckily the utility room is well ventilated, but a respirator is a must as Halford's laquer stinks!

IMG_1083.jpg

IMG_1084.jpg

Now it'll be cracking on with the gear, so I'll keep you posted.

Tom

Actually the gear is amazingly complex - want some piccies?

I've got a few Kev but anything you have that you think may be of use will be greatly received...

Awesome build, awesome paint job, Now dirty it up a bit! :clap2:

Thank you... and fear not I will apply some weathering.

Now that is looking good, very impressed with your build on this, the thing looks huge, I have only ever seen one built up and that was at Telford I think it was the BOAC one, could be wrong though, hopefully see it at Milton Keynes or the Southern then

Yes you're right I've seen the BOAC one doing the rounds... to be honest that model was what inspired me to have a go. It looks like I'll have her ready for Expo, but I don't want to tempt fate so 'we'll see...' Milton Keynes may be pushing it though!

to be fair, if KLM saw this they'd make an offer! its fantastic. i know people want it weathered, but i love clean and shiny!

Agreed, looks superb all clean and shiny!

Dullard question coming up... you've lacquered it, so its shiny all over... do you have to re-mask off the corroguard to matt it down again?

Looks simply stunning btw.

Dullard question coming up... you've lacquered it, so its shiny all over... do you have to re-mask off the corroguard to matt it down again?

I have applied a lot less laquer on the wings so they are not as shiny as the fuselage. I've had a good look at it today and it's got a slight sheen, but nothing excessive so I'll leave it as is I think.

I have applied a lot less laquer on the wings so they are not as shiny as the fuselage. I've had a good look at it today and it's got a slight sheen, but nothing excessive so I'll leave it as is I think.

Ah I see, I just wondered as on the odd occasion I delve into airliner construction, the mixture of gloss and matt finishes tends to confuse me! The shine on the fuselage is just superb, so realistic, and also shows the benefit of using Halfords paints throughout... no danger of the dreaded orange peel effect!

Stunning Tom, can't believe how fast you knock them out, especially seeing quality is top notch

Thanks Woody... the secret is fast drying filler and paint...

Ah I see, I just wondered as on the odd occasion I delve into airliner construction, the mixture of gloss and matt finishes tends to confuse me! The shine on the fuselage is just superb, so realistic, and also shows the benefit of using Halfords paints throughout... no danger of the dreaded orange peel effect!

actually there is....but it depends on how skilled you are at using halfords - Tom is VERY good, I find that I do get orage-peeling but usually can get rif of it with micromesh.

The mix of gloss and matt depends on how shiny you want your model to be and how many coats of johnsons kleer you put on it

Now the painting is complete it's adding those little details. Before starting on the landing gear I decided I wanted to get the engines finished so I've painted the bullet dark burnt steel, the rear part of the engine cone burnt iron, along with the fans. The intakes were then painted a light grey, and the intake rings painted aluminium.

IMG_1087.jpg

IMG_1088.jpg

IMG_1089.jpg

Tom