Aircraft in Miniature 1/72nd scale Boeing 747-300 KLM

WOW Tom sir this is looking verrryyyyy nice indeed :thumbsup: , thanks for the info I'm buying Chris's one so could I plug you for help on vacforms when I get it as its been a very long time since I built one and it is only one vac that I've built.

Clive

I'm buying Chris's one so could I plug you for help on vacforms when I get it as its been a very long time since I built one and it is only one vac that I've built.

Clive

Great tuff! Yes of course I'll help any way I can... and I'm sure there will be others on here who'll be more than happy to give you some advice too. When you've got it PM me and we can chat over the phone if that's easier.

There's no denying that a kit like this is a tough build, but with patience, perceverence and plenty of filler it's a most rewarding project.

Good luck - I can't wait to see you get started!

Superb Tom Im sure it will be a laugh a minute can't wait, Im picking it up at Southern EXPO in March so I will have to clear the bench. I see you both live in Kent I run a model club in South Godstone just off J6 of the M25 your both welcome to come along we meet every third wedensday of the month.

Clive

Edited by SHAR67

Superb Tom Im sure it will be a laugh a minute can't wait, Im picking it up at Southern EXPO in March so I will have to clear the bench. I see you both live in Kent I run a model club in South Godstone just off J6 of the M25 your both welcome to come along we meet every third wedensday of the month.

Clive

I'd love to come along but I'm in Romford buddy

Ready for decals...

Over the last few nights I've managed to get the rest of the 747 fuselage painted.

After the underside of the fuselage was painted I masked everything up and painted the white areas, which were the tail and thin white stripe which separates the underside from the upper fuselage. When I'd done this, I masked the white areas before the application of the darker and thicker blue stripe and the lighter KLM blue:

IMG_1059.jpg

IMG_1058.jpg

I then went to Halfords and got the lighter KLM blue used in the early 1990's mixed up, as I couldn't find a realistic match from their range of car paints. I simply took in the decal sheet and asked them to match it - and I think they did a pretty good job:

IMG_1067.jpg

And here she is now... all painting done and ready for a mammoth decalling session:

IMG_1064.jpg

IMG_1065.jpg

IMG_1066.jpg

IMG_1062.jpg

IMG_1063.jpg

I'll add a few more pictures as I progress with the decals.

Tom

• Like 1

I love this Tom, What shows are you taking it to? I'm hoping to get to some in the next few months.

I'm hoping it will be done for Southern Expo at Hornchurch, so if you can make it there you'll get to see her (if she's finished!)

It looks fabulous Tom. I hope I can make it to Southern Expo this year to see it in the flesh.

Cheers

Glen

Thanks Glen... hopefully she'll be finished. A lot will depend on the weather now and if I can get her laquered!

Looking good I can't understand how I keep missing the updates

Thanks Kev... not sure why you miss updates, I suppose the best thing to do is go straight to the 'Modern' section of 'Civil Aircraft Modelling'...

I'm hoping it will be done for Southern Expo at Hornchurch, so if you can make it there you'll get to see her (if she's finished!)

Great thanks! Are you going to be weathing this or is it staying factory fresh? :)

KLM werent the cleanest but either way will be good

Cheers Kev, I must say I'm pretty pleased so far. Hopoing to get some decals on over the next few days and then she'll really come to life.

As for a bit of weathering... certainly in this scale it's a must. May be picking your brains on that one when it comes to it.

Another couple of productive evenings... the missus has a new DVD box set so I'm free to model until my heart is content... happy days!

It's taken two nights but the decals are now on. They went on beautifully, settled down without issues and look great. Draw Decals are highly recommended!

Here is the 747 as of this evening:

IMG_1068.jpg

IMG_1069.jpg

IMG_1070.jpg

IMG_1075.jpg

IMG_1076.jpg

IMG_1078.jpg

And some close-ups:

IMG_1073.jpg

IMG_1074.jpg

IMG_1071.jpg

As you can see I've gone for PH-BUU 'Sir Frank Whittle', one of the last -306 Combis to be retired in 2003 (someone may correct me on that!)

I've also test fitted the body and nose gear, and thankfully everything sits level.

IMG_1077.jpg

They look a little stalky at the moment, but once brake lines, hydraulics, retraction gear and the doors are fitted she'll look ok. While I'm waiting for a warm and dry day to apply some laquer, I'm going to get cracking on the landing gear.

Tom