Aircraft in Miniature 1/72nd scale Boeing 747-300 KLM

This was the picture I used Kev... it's a -400, but it shows the tailplane paint pattern well: http://www.airliners...-406M/0830439/L

The entire forward 1/3 is bare metal, not merely the leading edge. Centre is corruguard, elevator etc is Boeing grey.

it does seem to vary from airline to airline, and from time to time :)

just to save me looking back thru' the topic, what colour scheme are you painting it in?

and just to mix things up a bit -

747-130EICorkJuly51989.jpg

...which only goes to prove the wise words, spoken to me by many modellers, wiser and better than me -

research, research, research

:)

I guess you could probably paint it either way and still be right

just to save me looking back thru' the topic, what colour scheme are you painting it in?

and just to mix things up a bit -

747-130EICorkJuly51989.jpg

...which only goes to prove the wise words, spoken to me by many modellers, wiser and better than me -

he is doing the klm one

I am at the Southern Expo, can't wait to see this in the flesh

I am hoping it will be there... there's a good chance it'll be finished but I don't want to rush it and risk spoiling it. If it's not finished I may well bring it 'as is' at the time.

The wings and engines are now painted.

First up was the corruguard, which was once again Rover Steel Grey. This was then masked, and next the engines, pylons and leading edges were sprayed Aluminium. These too were masked and then the remainder of the wing was sprayed Dove Grey. Finally, the engines appear to have the centre of the cowlings painted Boeing Grey, with another shade of grey on the forward part of the cowl behind the intake ring, so this was done too. The engines do seem to vary greatly between aircraft, with some having all natural metal engines, others all grey, and others random mix of the two. I imagine that as parts are serviced or replaced, they are painted etc. Therefore, I've done mine as a generic mix of natural metal and greys. More variation will be added after the laquer.

Here she is masked up during the painting process. As you can see, newspaper, Tamiya tape and 1" masking tape are the key here:

IMG_1043.jpg

IMG_1044.jpg

Here we are with the masking removed.

Undersides:

IMG_1045.jpg

Topsides:

IMG_1047.jpg

IMG_1046.jpg

Next up is the natural metal lower fuselage so I'll add more pictures when I've completed this.

Tom

Looking great now that the first coats of paint have been applied ! Will you use spray cans for the blue or airbrush ?

Thank you.

I'm going to use spray cans as I want to keep all the paints the same to reduce the chance of any reaction. I think I'm going to take a tin of Xtracolour paint to Halfords and get the blue specially mixed. It'll be expensive, but I can't risk getting it wrong!

I hadn't seen a 747 with non-natural metal leading 1/3 on the stabilisers before... you learn something everyday! And that scheme is a beauty... it's a shame Aer Lingus never used the -300.

Something else of interest is the amount of panelling visible on the wing... I was worried I'd over done mine and made them too visible but perhaps not!

I am loving this Tom, it's looking the nuts. NOW SHOULD IT STAY OR SHOULD IT GO???

STAY STAY STAY! Go on, give it a go... you've got nothing to lose! I don't mind helping you out if you need it. It is one the most challenging vacforms I've ever built though. Have you built a vac before? If not I'd advise you to get hold of a Welsh Models one to practise on as they are beautiful kits.

KEEP IT AND BUILD IT LAD :thumbsup:

STAY STAY STAY! Go on, give it a go... you've got nothing to lose! I don't mind helping you out if you need it. It is one the most challenging vacforms I've ever built though. Have you built a vac before? If not I'd advise you to get hold of a Welsh Models one to practise on as they are beautiful kits.

KEEP IT AND BUILD IT LAD :thumbsup:

LOL, no never built one. Thing is I don't know what livery to do it in if I do build it!

LOL, no never built one. Thing is I don't know what livery to do it in if I do build it!

Qantas Nalanji Dreaming of that colourful South African scheme!!

Amazing as ever Tom, loving the detail you've put into it

Cheers Woody!

follow tom's advice chris - keep it and build it

(or give it to me :) )

meanwhile....

what amazes me Tom is the speed with which you are doing this......

(I'm not amazed at your skill level anymore, I've got used to that)

Get her finished Tom, already this is going to be the build of 2012!

Cheers,

John

Thanks John, glad to know you're enjoying it as much as I am!

Ah ha! so this is where you all hide, looking great Tom what other decals do they do for this kit all be it 744 or 743. I took some pictures of the Virgin 744 I was on today and I was wondering how big this model is whats the wingspan and the overall length. I once had a Dyoshu 742 all be it a long time ago now and I think that was 1/72 scale still your doing a grand job sir.

Clive

Edited by SHAR67

Hi Clive, yes this is where we all hide lol better than over there! I'm building a virgin 744 can you send some pics toe please fella. And I'll look forward to meeting you at southern. And Tom is it not about time this was FINISHED LOL, great job bud

Hi Clive, yes this is where we all hide lol better than over there! I'm building a virgin 744 can you send some pics toe please fella. And I'll look forward to meeting you at southern. And Tom is it not about time this was FINISHED LOL, great job bud

When is Southern again?

Ah ha! so this is where you all hide, looking great Tom what other decals do they do for this kit all be it 744 or 743. I took some pictures of the Virgin 744 I was on today and I was wondering how big this model is whats the wingspan and the overall length. I once had a Dyoshu 742 all be it a long time ago now and I think that was 1/72 scale still your doing a grand job sir.

Clive

Hi Clive,

Aircraft in Miniature do two versions of the 747 in 1/72nd scale. One is the -100/-200 kit and the other the -300/-400 (mine). The -100/-200 comes in either Pan Am or BOAC decals, and there is an aftermarket set to convert it to one of NASA's shuttle carrier aircraft. The only decals that come with this kit are KLM, they do registrations for one 747-300 and another 747-400. If you want after-market decals, Draw Decal do a better KLM sheet for the -200/300 (which I've bought) and they also do a sheet for British Airways 747-400s. As far as I know, there are no other sheets available, although I'm sure you could have some custom made.

Aircraft in Miniature do a -400 conversion which includes the wing-root fairing, extended wing and winglet, but engines would be your problem as so far the kits only come with the earlier PW or GE engines. The only set of aftermarket engines I know of are for the RB211 (for BA) but they are over $200!

I too have the Doyusha kit, and it is in 1/100 scale. Although big, it's a minnow compared to this beast! In terms of size, the wingspan is 32" and the length in 39". Just the stabilisers are 12" across!

One other option, although more expensive, would be to buy Anigrand's new issue of a VC-25 (Air Force One) which is just out. I have one and you do have the option of building it as a 747-400. This kit has the advantage of having the latest General Electric CF6 engine which is perfect for Virgin's fleet. The only problem with this kit is that Anigrand haven't put in the wing-root fairing, but that shouldn't be too problematical to build with Milliput. However, when comparing Aircraft in Miniature's kit to the Anigrand one, I think the AIM version wins hands-down.

Hope that helps!

Tom

A little more progress today...

As it was dry and sunny I managed to get the underside of the fuselage painted in Halford's Aluminium.

First up was plenty of tedious masking... Father Christmas eat your heart out!

IMG_1049.jpg

IMG_1048.jpg

When dry the masking was removed:

IMG_1053.jpg

Next up will be the application of the blue and white cheat-line, and when done I'll add some more pictures.

Tom