Aircraft in Miniature 1/72nd scale Boeing 747-300 KLM

Slowly plodding on... adding the fiddly details takes some serious time!

I've sanded in and blended the wing-root fillet and given it a quick spray of primer:

IMG_1032.jpg

A couple of little blemishes to clean up but nothing too major.

I've also finished the rear end, and added the APU exhuast as well as the fillets seen above and below the stabilisers:

IMG_0985.jpg

I've also made the pressurisation outlets on the rear of the fuselage. These are often open on the ground so I've done them as such. First I boxed in and added some fine mesh to the cut-out:

IMG_0982.jpg

And then I added the small doors in the open position:

IMG_0984.jpg

I've also finished the air intakes on the lower parts of the wing to fuselage fairing:

IMG_0983.jpg

Finally, I've made a start on the main gear bays. These are basically cavernous open spaces for the huge undercarriage to retract into, with some framework and various pipe work visible. The doors remain closed on the ground (unless opened for maintainance purposes) so not a great deal of the bays can be seen. However, with a kit of this size I felt I needed to add some detail so I've started by adding some ribbing from Evergreen Strip:

IMG_1027.jpg

Next I've added the huge mounts for the fuselage landing gear. This may be slgihtly over scale and not 100% accurate, but this thing weighs a ton and needs plenty of strength so support its weight:

IMG_1028.jpg

Here are the bays after a quick coat of primer:

IMG_1030.jpg

The main undercarriage will be attached after the model is painted, plus the brake pipes and hydraulic lines etc, so it should look suitably 'busy'.

I'm almost there... it'll soon be time to invest in gallons of paint!

Thanks for stopping by,

Tom

Looks great Tom, shame you brought the other one cause you could of had my kit and had 2!!!

You should bite the bullet and build it Chris... there's bound to be some awesome colour scheme out there for you to do!

It's a tough build but very rewarding... if you do go for it I'll warn you it's a long haul... :wall:

Well I'm finally at the stage where I can begin painting this model. I bought this back in October, so it's taken just over 3 months to get to this stage... I don't think that's bad going considering the marathon that a build like this is!

Anyway, I've spent a couple of hours this afternoon adding a final few details, touching up any blemishes and rescribing any areas that needed doing. She's now had a final coat of Halfords trusty grey primer and is now ready for the painting process to begin.

The underside:

IMG_1035.jpg

And top side:

IMG_1036.jpg

The first area I'm going to paint is the corruguard on the wings and stabilisers. Using rattle cans is weather dependent so knowing the glorious English weather at this time of year... :lol: ... things may slow down a little.

Anyway, I think it's time for a well earned cold one:

IMG_1037.jpg

I'll update as the painting progresses.

Tom

good job you put that can there.....otherwise somebody might think;

"Whats the big deal here....it's only a little model"

oh...and the weather here in Kent today has been brilliant...clear sunny skies...warm.....I even saw a guy walking around in a T-Shirt, shorts and flip flops earlier today.....

so why isnt it painted yet? A? A? A?.....

(apart from which it has to be done in time for expo....)

Tom, she looks gorgeous!!

6pm is far too early for Beer!!! You need to wait at least another 20 minutes!!

Nige

Ha ha, ok I'll play it safe and leave it until 6:30...

good job you put that can there.....otherwise somebody might think;

"Whats the big deal here....it's only a little model"

That's exactly why I did it!

oh...and the weather here in Kent today has been brilliant...clear sunny skies...warm.....I even saw a guy walking around in a T-Shirt, shorts and flip flops earlier today.....

Yes it's been lovely, hence I could get outside and prime her!

so why isnt it painted yet? A? A? A?.....

(apart from which it has to be done in time for expo....)

Ohhhhh, pressure. I'll do my best, I promise!

Tom,

I'm not trying to teach you how to suck eggs here, but I had to post this....

It may well be dry and sunny tomorrow, but be warned that if it's cold, your rattle can paint may bloom. If you've never heard the term "bloom", basically it means the paint goes satin and has a faded white tinge to it.

I would suggest, if it is cold outside, that you keep the model nice and warm, place the can of paint in some warm water for ten mins before painting, then bring the model straight back indoors as soon as you've painted it. I find the cold weather doesn't really affect primer, I guess this is because it dries so fast??

Good luck with it Tom!!

Nige

Tom,

It may well be dry and sunny tomorrow, but be warned that if it's cold, your rattle can paint may bloom. If you've never heard the term "bloom", basically it means the paint goes satin and has a faded white tinge to it.

I would suggest, if it is cold outside, that you keep the model nice and warm, place the can of paint in some warm water for ten mins before painting, then bring the model straight back indoors as soon as you've painted it. I find the cold weather doesn't really affect primer, I guess this is because it dries so fast??

Good luck with it Tom!!

Nige

I'm glad you said that.

I was spraying my 757 in the garage the other week in the cold and got the result you describe and wondered if it was down to the climate.

Edited by Steve2070

Tom,

Good luck with it Tom!!

Nige

Hi Nige,

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. I'm hoping to get some paint on this week if it is dry so I'll follow your suggestions and let you know how I get on.

No doubt the missus will be delighted with the paint fumes... this project has tested her patience to the absolute limit, what with sanding dust everywhere, me swearing at it on a very regular basis and the fact it was taking up our dining table for the best part of a week! Now I'll be stinking the house out too, but if she gives me the ultimatum of 'it's me or the jumbo' it'll be a difficult choice deciding which one has to go!!!! :D

I've given the whole airframe a going over with some micromesh so I'm good to go - the corruguard on the wings will be first.

Cheers,

Tom

but if she gives me the ultimatum of 'it's me or the jumbo' it'll be a difficult choice deciding which one has to go!!!! :D

Cheers,

Tom

I see no difficulty here......obviously you keep the jumbo

:)

She's in the paint shop!

As it's been mild over the last couple of days I've made a start on painting the 747. I've started with the stabilisers so I could check the colours are ok before commencing with the wings and engines.

First up was the corruguard sections on the upper and lower parts of the stabilisers, for which I've usd Halfords Rover Steel Grey. I like this as it varies in colour according to the light conditions just like corruguard on the real aircraft. Indoors it looks like a graphite grey, yet outside it looks more a silver... clever stuff!

Next was Halfords Aluminium for the natural metal leading edge sections, and finally Halfords Dove Grey for the Boeing grey sections to the rear. Again this grey seems to vary on the real 'plane according to light, but in my opinion this looks about right.

Lower:

IMG_1039.jpg

And a couple of the upper in different light:

IMG_1038.jpg

IMG_1040.jpg

I'm pretty happy with how these have turned out so I've added the Aluminium to the leading edges of the fin and wings, as well as the natural metal sections on the engines and cowlings.

When the wings are completed I'll add some more pictures.

Fingers crossed for more mild weather!

Tom

Next was Halfords Aluminium for the natural metal leading edge sections, Tom

Is the entire front section of the stabs bare metal on the 747?

I had an idea that only the very leading edge is, the rest of the stab is boeing grey, with the coro in the centre section

just a thought - have to see if I can find some pics that show the stabs to good effect, if I can, I'll post them

Is the entire front section of the stabs bare metal on the 747?

I had an idea that only the very leading edge is, the rest of the stab is boeing grey, with the coro in the centre section

just a thought - have to see if I can find some pics that show the stabs to good effect, if I can, I'll post them

This was the picture I used Kev... it's a -400, but it shows the tailplane paint pattern well: http://www.airliners...-406M/0830439/L

The entire forward 1/3 is bare metal, not merely the leading edge. Centre is corruguard, elevator etc is Boeing grey.

Looking good!! Roll on the paint.. (not literally!)

Why not use a roller, it's b****y well big enough! Brilliant work, Tom! I have the -200 version, and it's nice to see what you can do with this monster with a little bit (lots) of work. I'm glad I found this thread.

Regards,

Jason