Aircraft in Miniature 1/72nd scale Boeing 747-300 KLM

so how about doing a cockpit for it at least.....go on....you know you want to....

Reading various suggestions it does sound as if putting windows in would be feasable, but I still think I'm going to do down the decal route as structally the model will be stronger. As the fuselage is so long, it needs plenty of reinforcement and not putting the keel in is simply not an option. Plus the huge amounts of weight needed for the nose to keep it sitting on its wheels properly, there will need to be reinforcement a-plenty.

As for the cockpit - no clear parts are provided so it'll mean moulding my own transparencies. Again, with the keel issues it's going to make the work doubly hard... and I'm lazy!

I'll do you a deal... when Anigrand bring out their 1/72nd Air Force One I'll open that up, and as I'm sure it'll be moulded with windows and transparencies I'll detail it galore!

I'll accept that deal IF you add a cockpit to the one your doing now.

where are you going to put it btw - this mother is f*****' HUGE....

where are you going to put it btw - this mother is f*****' HUGE....

At the moment I haven't got a clue... there's a lovely bed in a spare bedroom that's looking likely... but I'm sure the missus will have other ideas...

If anyone has any hangar space let me know...

I have a ceiling it could hang from.....

knowing your high standards, how about asking a model shop if they would like to hang it from their shop ceiling?

i think it would look nice with the cockpit glazed and not using decals, i can understand you using decals though for the passenger windows, but with the cockpit, I would use cut strips of plastic for the cockpit frames ad use clear acetate sheets for the windows

i think it would look nice with the cockpit glazed and not using decals, i can understand you using decals though for the passenger windows, but with the cockpit, I would use cut strips of plastic for the cockpit frames ad use clear acetate sheets for the windows

I may do, but the windscreens are quite curved so if I do that'll be a challenge to say the least.

I'm thinking more along the lines of molding the entire section of the forward hump in clear and mating it to the fuselage, then mask the windscreens before painting.

I'll have to come up with some form of mold by pushing the upper cockpit area into car body filler, letting it dry, and then make my master from that.

We'll see... no promises!

I may do, but the windscreens are quite curved so if I do that'll be a challenge to say the least.

use a bit cut out from a cola bottle......

I've taken a few shots of the fuselage before any major work begins to show you what I'm starting with.

Here is an overall shot of the two halves and the central keel:

IMG_0926.jpg

Here is the line molded on the fuselage which I have to sand to.... again it looks like it's going to be a mammoth session:

IMG_0927.jpg

The tail will need some serious thinning too:

IMG_0928.jpg

This area will need removing on both halves to allow the stabilsers to be inserted:

IMG_0930.jpg

As I progress I'll add more pics...

Tom

a bit of a job there then....:)

I was wondering about the keel; that comes with the kit?

For the cockpit, could you not just cut a piece out from the right area? I wouldnt have thought it wouldnt have affected the strength of it overall

Although I havent seen, owned or built one of these so I am speaking from a position of ignorance....amazing....something I dont know....how fallible of me :(

anyway...

Just thinking aloud; if I did have one (and somewhere to put it), could the keel be replaced by some other kind of strengthener so internal detail could be built?

a bit of a job there then.... :)

I was wondering about the keel; that comes with the kit?

For the cockpit, could you not just cut a piece out from the right area? I wouldnt have thought it wouldnt have affected the strength of it overall

Although I havent seen, owned or built one of these so I am speaking from a position of ignorance....amazing....something I dont know....how fallible of me :(

anyway...

Just thinking aloud; if I did have one (and somewhere to put it), could the keel be replaced by some other kind of strengthener so internal detail could be built?

Yes the keel is part of the kit. The plans say to stick it to the iside of one fuselage half, then mate the other half to it. This not only provides strength, but gives you something to attach the other fuselahge half to. The wheel bays and main spar ewill attach to the keel too for extra regidity, and with the weight of this thing that can can only be good! There is space towards the tail to allow the stabilisers to pass through also.

Theroetically, it would be possible to strengthten it other ways, such as inserting ribs etc like seen on the real thing, but there are serious issues of movement along the length of the fuselage due to its sheer size. Therefore, some other lengthways re-inforcement would be required. I suppose a floor could be inserted from thick card, and that would provide enough longitudonal support. Then, for the slightly insane like yourself ( :D ) you could detail away to your heart's content!

For this one though I've made my mind up to decal all of the windows. The reason being I'm a little OCD when it comes to these things... it's got to be all or nothing. Therefore, if I'm decalling the cabin windows, to my mind it wouldn't look right to have clear a windscreen. I know, I know, I've disappointed you, but...

I love the 747 and I'm planning to do another of these one day (either a 747-100/200 or a -400) and with the experience of building this one behind me I promise to do the windows and open it up. I have been looking at the Anigrand one online, and although the windows and cockpit are provided, I think the overall shape and being a vacform, I'm going to go for another AIM kit. Far cheaper, and in my opinion, far easier to work with!

Edited by tomprobert

Then, for the slightly insane like yourself ( :D ) you could detail away to your heart's content!

I know, I know, I've disappointed you,

I'm planning to do another of these one day

Actually I'm the only sane person here, it's the rest of you that are a seat short of the full set, and yes I'm grieviously disappointed, let down, betrayed, all that emotional stuff, so one day, when you have built another, fully detailed like it should be, since your not far away from me, I'm going to come visit you, bring a cam and take lots of pics of all these wonderful models you build (in spite of everything you are quite good at this) then when people scratch their heads and wonder where you put them all, since you build in big scales, I will expose you to the world and reveal that you do, despite your denials, live in Kent's biggest mansion.

Either that or you live in a warehouse on an industrial estate somewhere....

:)

I have managed to sand the fuselages down over the weekend, and get them somewhere near where they need to be in terms of diameter. The sanding process was surprisingly quick actually, and along with some careful trimming with a sharp scalpel blade each half took no more than 2 hours.

Here are the two halves with the keel being test fitted. As can be seen, the fit is pretty good and only minor trimming of the keel should be needed:

IMG_0929.jpg

I've also removed the apertures for the stabilisers, and here they are being test fitted. Thankfully the apertures are the same height each side meaning that the stabilsers are perfectly level:

IMG_0931.jpg

I've also been marking out where the wheel bays are. Here they are ready for removal when I've double checked the measurements using the Revell 1/144th scale 747-200 as a guide:

IMG_0932.jpg

And I've also made a start on the various intakes and outlets which are found on the airframe. Here are the small air intakes on the fairing in front of the wing. There are two on the port side and one on the starboard. I need to do the intake for the APU, the APU exhaust itself as well as various other vents around the fuselage:

IMG_0933.jpg

I'm hoping to get more done this week so I'll add some more pictures as I continue with the fuselage.

Tom

dont forget the pitot heads..........

I wouldn't dare Kev... but they'll be going on just before any paint... and how long they'll survive - well your guess is as good as mine!

I don't do airliners but I'm glued to this thread! Enjoying watching this build progress.

Mark.

Thanks Mark, I'm glad you're finding it entertaining.

I wish I was... :wall:

Only joking I'm loving every minute!

Tom

I wouldn't dare Kev... but they'll be going on just before any paint... and how long they'll survive - well your guess is as good as mine!

drain masts?

etc, etc.

Just because your not doing anything inside doesnt mean you will get away without adding the necessary outside.......hehehehehehehehe :)

btw - I would drill the holes for this stuff before you paint and add the exterior detail afterwards;

subject to you not trying to actually fly it, ground collisions, rough handling and so on, they should survive better.

I'm still in awe of your build here Tom, wonderful stuff

That's very kind of you Woody... hopefully the finished article won't disappoint!

Over the last few evenings I've scratch-built the wheel bays, added the keel and attached further reinforcing strips where the fuselage halves will join:

IMG_0935.jpg

In the inner side of the keel there is a wealth of lead, added to keep the model on its wheels.

I haven't followed the exact plans for the main gear bays, as the AIM instruction sheet suggests building the main body gear bays and the wing bays as an integral unit. However, because I've done the wing bays already, I've just modified the plans and built the body bays which have been iserted below and securely attached to the keel for strength. The nose gear bay was constructed from the plans and fitted perfectly. I am yet to add any internal details to the bays, this will be done when the main construction is complete.

I'm hoping to get this beast together over the weekend.

Tom

Hi Tom

Congrats on a fantastic build. I've got a 200 and 300 (400 conversion) to do some day and am watching your updates in complete awe. I've got quite a few pictures of the gear and bays if they're any use to you. I can either try and stick them on photobucket or throw a dvd in the post to you. They're of a 400 but I don't think there's any major difference between types.

Cheers

Glen

Keep following this thread, and having seen how rough the main mouldings are, you're doing a great job of adding finesse to it with vigorous sanding and scribing. The fact that you also seem frighteningly efficient in doing so make this appear easy.

Jens

Tom, are you planning on getting this build for show's or just to keep in the house? I would love to see it when it's done, I am one of the non-airliner modellers but I really like this. Keep it up pal.