Aircraft in Miniature 1/72nd scale Boeing 747-300 KLM

I'm looking for some scribing tape and don't know what to use that is why I asked lol, as for the A340-600, I've taken of the decals on the rear end cause the White decals started going red so I have repainted the back black again and just waiting for the new decals to come. Then I will finish her. As for your RR trents ( still waiting for them ) not forgot buddy, have you started the 200?

I use blue M3 tape, I bought mine on ebay, very good for scribing and better value than using dymno tape

this is building into an impressive build, are you going to cut the windows out or use decals

Looking good it's making me think that I should get one need to start to save up I think

It is expensive, but the hours I'm going to spend building it means it is exceptional value for money. Considering a standard 1/144th airliner can be knocked out in a week or two, this thing is unbeatable value in my opinion!

Fantastic. I know what a struggle this kit is but i cant wait to see this finished. Im slowly getting into airliners i think!

Thank you. It is a struggle indeed and not for the faint-hearted... but worth every penny!

The wings are now complete!

Plenty of sanding has resulted in the following...

Outboard pylons are now blended nicely to the wing:

IMG_0904.jpg

IMG_0905.jpg

Here's an underside shot of the starboard wing:

IMG_0907.jpg

IMG_0908.jpg

Some top shots:

IMG_0909.jpg

IMG_0910.jpg

IMG_0911.jpg

And finally, a size comparison along side my trusty 1/72nd Spitfire:

IMG_0913.jpg

I'm pleased with the way these have come out, there are a couple of minor blemishes to rectify and then it's on to the stabilisers.

More updates will follow...

Tom

Now the wings are finished, I've been slowly plodding on with the stabilisers...

Here they are before work commenced. There is some surface detail scribed onto the upper surfaces, but none on the lower. For the record, they are just over a foot in span!

IMG_0918.jpg

First job was to thin the trailing edes... the areas highlighted in red needed to be removed:

IMG_0919.jpg

And here is the trailing edge after the sanding process:

IMG_0920.jpg

When stuck together and the filling done, I scribed the upper sufaces:

IMG_0921.jpg

And then the lower:

IMG_0922.jpg

Now all flying surfaces are complete...

IMG_0923.jpg

...and work can commence on the fuselage.

I'll post more pics as I progress.

Tom

Who needs to go to the cinema when we can sit and watch you build this beast

Ha ha! Glad you're enjoying it! Your A340 looks fantastic...any special schemes for the other one you've got?

Ha ha! Glad you're enjoying it! Your A340 looks fantastic...any special schemes for the other one you've got?

I am indeed injoying it. Thanks fella, I'm trying to get a set of kingfisher A340-500 decals but having trouble finding them, if no joy it will be an air Canada 500 ( got the decals already )

I love doing vacforms, but even this is to big for me, you are doing a fine job, can't wait to see it progress

Thank you... yes it is a beast... I'm dreading adding the wings!

Cracking job Tom, looks like fun.

Keep posting, I'm enjoying your updates!

John

Cheers John... fear not I'll keep going until she's done! :wall:

I am indeed injoying it. Thanks fella, I'm trying to get a set of kingfisher A340-500 decals but having trouble finding them, if no joy it will be an air Canada 500 ( got the decals already )

An Air Canada -500 would get my vote every time! I must get my Thai -600 finished, but this project has side-tracked me somewhat.

Are you going to cut the passenger windows out or are you going to use decals

I'll ahveto hold my hands up say I'm going to cheat... decals.

The main reasons are I don't fancy trying to cut out and make all those windows not only uniform in shape, but in alignment too! At £150+ I don't want to risk ruining it! Also there is large keel that needs inserting along the length of the fuselage which would mean the cockpit would be a nightmare and you'd not be able to see through the fuselage like on the real thing.

I've got some pretty realistic looking window decals so it should look ok... fingers crossed.

definately cheating.....as to ruining it, I have complete confidence in you and know you would not......and £150+ is why I dont have one.....

definately cheating.....as to ruining it, I have complete confidence in you and know you would not......and £150+ is why I dont have one.....

I've an idea Kev... you design and make a template for cutting out 1/72nd scale airliner windows, and with the proceeds you will be able to buy a 1/72nd 747!!!! :D

there's a guy called Bill Matthews is very good at that - me....dont have a clue how to do it but if I ever figure it out, you'll be the first to know :)

One idea I can think of would be to cut out larger window areas in the fuselage, glue in pieces of acrylic or plexiglass and then sand smooth and polish. You can then have window masks cut to cover the "glass", then paint the model as you would. Remove masks at the end. Miracle Masks and Ad Astra Masks seem to both be on this site, and there is Maketar Productions in Serbia that I have used myself.

To align the masked windows, you can do the following:

When you get the masks, you will have a contour of the windows - the windows will be covered, and the "outside" will be painted. Place a piece of masking tape across the row of windows to hold them in place as you peel the masking off the sheet. Apply the masking to the fuselage and the clear sections. Remove the masking tape, making sure the window masks are still attached to the model within the carrier. Then remove the carrier, leaving each window mask in place. Paint the model completely before removing the masks.

If you want silver frames, then you can make two sets of masks - one slightly larger than the other. You will first apply the small masks, paint black to hide the surrounding glass, then silver of your choice. When dry, remove the window masks and apply the larger masks directly over the windows, taking care to align them properly. Then paint your model completely.

Haven't tried this in practice, so I can't vouch for the userfriendliness, but it's the easiest route I can think of for clear, solid windows that does not involve using a CNC machine. Even if you were to use a CNC machine and make the windows, you would then have to make the clear bits, and they never look right with Kristal Kleer because of sagging and optical distortion.

One word of warning though - if you cut a slot for the clear plastic along the entire fuselage, it will weaken it considerably, so I would suggest you rather cut sections where you leave part of the kit structure in place (like the door areas). You may need some additional internal bracing too. Epoxying some brass or aluminium profiles nside the fuselage above and below where the cuts would come before you cut out sections will stiffen it considerably and help to maintain the original shape.

Jens

Edited by jenshb

To make several equal windows I would make a punch from brass tube. Take one of appropriate diameter and with a hammer and files modify and sharpen it to the correct contour. Then you can mark the location of each window (use Dymo tape as a guide) and open them after with files. This works for smaller windows.

Another method that can work is to make a template from a soda can, as I am (slowly...) using in my 1/72 Vanguard:

Template_2.jpg

Template_3.jpg

To make several equal windows I would make a punch from brass tube. Take one of appropriate diameter and with a hammer and files modify and sharpen it to the correct contour. Then you can mark the location of each window (use Dymo tape as a guide) and open them after with files. This works for smaller windows.

Another method that can work is to make a template from a soda can, as I am (slowly...) using in my 1/72 Vanguard:

Template_2.jpg

Template_3.jpg

Sorry to change subjects but did I hear 1/72 Vanguard, must the Gene Hooper one that I have as well

New decals arrived today...

IMG_0946.jpg

It's one of the biggest decal sheets I've seen!

There's nothing wrong with the AIM sheet, but this gives me the option of building any of KLM 747-206SUDs and 747-306s. Haven't decided which to go for yet... but it's likely to be one of the 'true' -306 combis.