1:72 Hasegawa F-14A Tomcat VF-102

Hi mates,

As I sit here and wait for the paint to dry on my current project, I figured I'd dust off a model from the past. I built this Cat in 1990 - if my math still works that was more then 20 years ago! Yikes! What's different about this one, for me anyway, is that is 100% out of the box. Plus, this was before I learned about sludge washes, filters, pre-shading, etc. In other words, the "dark ages." :o

So here it is, finished in the markings of VF-102 Diamondbacks. This is the new tool Hasegawa kit right after it first came out. It was the first time I ever used photoetch, which came with the kit so you could dress up the canopy and cockpit a bit. The very slight weathering that I applied was done entirely with pastel chalks.

100_1452

100_1455

100_1454

100_1461

100_1462

100_1464

100_1467

100_1468

100_1458

100_1471

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks for the compliments, guys!

I always bring this model along to the club meetings and contests just to show the young ones that you can build a nice looking replica straight out of the box. The price of kits nowadays scares the kids enough, let alone all of the aftermarket stuff to go with it! Granted, I don't tell them how much a 1:72 new tool Hasegawa Tomcat goes for today :( , but there are lots of very good kits available currently that are great values. Specifically, the new tool kits from Airfix and RoG.

Cheers,

Bill