Albatros (OEF) D111

Mr T

After reading some other threads on biplanes, I thought I would put this up. It is an older build (about 2000 I think) using the 1/72nd Revell Albatros D111 and a Blue Rider vacform conversion kit. Not a bad build as the vacform fuselage fitted quite well. The engine and wheels were resin, but I cannot remember whoseand the decals came from Blue Rider. It was the swirl pattern fabric that attracted me as I do not normally build Polish subjects, although I did have a bit of a go at them at the time. The idea of putting what looked liked 1970's carpetting on an aircraft appealed to me. On the photos I have just noticed that a rigging wire has gone slack.

Albatros1.jpg

Albatros2.jpg

wow, now thats something so different, love the patten on the wings, and in polish markings too, any aditional back-ground info on this plane?

The Albatross D111 was lience built by OEF in Austria and stead of using the lzenge type printed fabrics the Austrians devised th sworl pattern. I am not sure what else it was used on, bu I think it was also used on Hansa Brandenburg aircraft, but do not quote me. At eh the end of World war One withe break up of the Austro Hungarian Empire and the creation of new states in Eastern Europe there were a number of border clashes and out right war. The newly created state of Poland was engaged in major conflict with the Bolsheviks in Russsia and the Poles seemed to used aircraft from where they could get them and so flew a real mix of British, French, German and Austro-Hungarian aircraft. I suspect some of the German and Ausro Hungarain aircraft were left behind, but some may have been bought, how some of these aircraft came to be in the country seems to be a little murky. The Bolsheviks pushed very hard against the Poles to gain (or regain, depending on your perspective!) territory and at one stage in 1920 it looked as if Warsaw would fall. However the Poles fought very hard and stopped the Russians, but the war soured relationships between the two countries up to outbreak of World War Two and the dismemberment of Poland between the USSR and Nazi Germany in September 1939..

The Albatross D111 was lience built by OEF in Austria and stead of using the lzenge type printed fabrics the Austrians devised th sworl pattern. I am not sure what else it was used on, bu I think it was also used on Hansa Brandenburg aircraft, but do not quote me. At eh the end of World war One withe break up of the Austro Hungarian Empire and the creation of new states in Eastern Europe there were a number of border clashes and out right war. The newly created state of Poland was engaged in major conflict with the Bolsheviks in Russsia and the Poles seemed to used aircraft from where they could get them and so flew a real mix of British, French, German and Austro-Hungarian aircraft. I suspect some of the German and Ausro Hungarain aircraft were left behind, but some may have been bought, how some of these aircraft came to be in the country seems to be a little murky. The Bolsheviks pushed very hard against the Poles to gain (or regain, depending on your perspective!) territory and at one stage in 1920 it looked as if Warsaw would fall. However the Poles fought very hard and stopped the Russians, but the war soured relationships between the two countries up to outbreak of World War Two and the dismemberment of Poland between the USSR and Nazi Germany in September 1939..

Seeing as the Austrian built Albatros were actually stronger than their German made cousins, they were in fact very robust, tough aircraft. So much so that the Polish government sent a letter of commendation to OEF to thank them for their products.

You'll also not see any rib tapes on these machines - again ( and thanks Rowan for this info, which I repeat in an attempt to seem knowledgable!) the Austrians were just better at sewing on the fabric to start with!

Great model , lovely- my Eduard OEFFAG 153 awaits.

cheers

Jonners

Very sweet, you would never have guessed it had Revell origins. Is the sworl painted or decal?

Will

It is a decal from Blue Rider, a company I think is long gone, although I have seen that Techmod may also offer the pattern

Albatros2.jpg

Definately the old Blue Rider conversion set. The Austro-Hungrian Sworl camouflage is the autumn leaf type. FCM of Brazil still might have their versions?

Mirage has just put out their "spring leaf " version.

Here is the Mirage 1:48 Austro-Hungarian Sworl camouflage for the Eduard or Blue Max Alb. D.III (Oeffag).

mirsworl.009.jpg

Edited by JackFlash