Two Korean War USMC Corsairs

Both of these models are 1/48 Hasegawa Corsairs in USMC markings during the Korean War. Both kits still need armaments loaded and a few more weathing steps performed.

The F4U-4 is the old Hasegawa kit (with raised lines) converted to a cannon-armed F4U-4B with parts from the new-mold Hasegawa Corsair.

102111F4U-4NoOrdnanceLeftFront.jpg

The True Details cockpit (intended for the Academy kit) was adapted to fit the Hasegawa fuselage. The level of detail over the kit cockpit definitely makes it a cost-effective investment.

102111F4U-4Cockpit2.jpg

The erroneously-molded windscreen frames were sanded off and painted in the proper position. A simple, yet effective solution!

102111F4U-4Cockpit1.jpg

This shot illustrates many of the donor parts incorporated. The engine, propeller, exhausts, rocket stubs, and 20mm cannon are from the new-mold Hasegawa F4U-5/-5N/-7/ AU-1 kit. The wingroot inlets, landing gear, and gear doors are Tamiya Corsair parts. The beautifully-detailed wheels are Ultracast replacements.

102111F4U-4NoOrdnanceLeftFrontCloseup.jpg

The markings for VMA-332 aboard USS Bairoko are from Cutting Edge.

102111F4U-4NoOrdnanceRightRear.jpg

The second Corsair is the Hasegawa AU-1 in VMA-323 markings.

102111AU-1NoOrdnanceRightRear.jpg

The cockpit was enhanced by the removal of the radar scope (a feature of the F4U-5N night-fighter) and replacement with an instrument decal, swithboxes atop the instrument coaming from the True Details cockpit set, and seatbelts from an out-of-production Promodeller decal sheet.

102111AU-1Cockpit.jpg

Most of the decals are from Eagle Strike for a F4U-4B. They were positioned to match photos of VMA-323s AU-1s along with additional generic decals for the gear doors. The wheels were Tamiya Corsair donor wheels.

102111AU-1NoOrdnanceRightFront.jpg

A Marine Corsair family portrait.

102111AU-1F4U-4NoOrdnanceSide-by-side.jpg

The in-progress posts are here >>>AU-1<<< and here >>>F4U-4B<<<

• Like 7

Hi John

You did it and finished them! Fantastic result for both - I love that AU-1 and am now seriously considering adding one to my stash/collection. Really great work, sir and I am lucky in that I still have 3 more to build in my stash!

Nice one

Andy

Thanks to everyone for the compliments, but I feel compelled to confess to more errors I made on the AU-1...

1) I put the shoulder belts over the seat, they loop over the bar on the back armor plate.

2) The gunsight in the Hasegawa kit doesn't look like the AU-1 gunsight.

3) The handgrip panels weren't yellow.

I found a large hi-rez Life Magazine picture of Gerry Coleman (the inspiration for my build) in his AU-1. >>>HERE<<< It clearly shows the layout of the shoulder belts and gunsight.

• 7 years later...

Really good couple of bent wing birds !!

Congrats !! I love the polka dots markings !!

I have a -4 on its way, based on the Academy and will represent the MiG killer Coirsair of Jesse Folmar

Then -5 from Hobby boss

And 3 other early Corsairs, Otaki, Tamiya and Hobbycraft !!

Found of Corsair ??? Me ??? Who said that !!

Sincerely.

CC