Airfix 1/48 Lynx sprues at Yeovilton

techniquest

Just a question for any one who has seen the this are there any door mounted guns with the kit.

Yes, there is an option with a large machine gun that is mounted at the side of one of the doors

The gift set Westland Lynx HMa8 Gift Set (A50112) is GBP39.99

http://www.airfix.com/airfix-products/roya...&sortorder=

The standard 1/48 Westland Lynx Navy HMA8 / Super Lynx (A10107) is GBP29.99

http://www.airfix.com/airfix-products/new-...&sortorder=

The standard 1/48 Westland Lynx Army AH-7 (A09101) is GBP27.99

40 pound for an airfix kit what next 100 pound for 148 scale

The Sea Vixen is 40 quid, near as makes no odds, and nobody even raises an eyebrow, the Lynx is only 40 quid if you buy it with the Landy and troops in the gift set.

Stand-alone it'll be less than 30, and as I just forked out 30 quid for a new 1/48th single seat WWII RAF fighter it looks like good value! If its a decent kit it'll be worth the money.

You could buy a cheaper one of course... If that ever happens.

:

The Sea Vixen is 40 quid, near as makes no odds, and nobody even raises an eyebrow, the Lynx is only 40 quid if you buy it with the Landy and troops in the gift set.

Stand-alone it'll be less than 30, and as I just forked out 30 quid for a new 1/48th single seat WWII RAF fighter it looks like good value! If its a decent kit it'll be worth the money.

You could buy a cheaper one of course... If that ever happens.

Reasonable point. I suppose it's all relative. I certainly wouldn't pay nearly £40 for what is still, in 1/48, going to be a very modest sized model. Even at £30, I'd personally consider it a bit over priced - you could buy 2 Revell Lancasters for that !! Ok, that's not really a valid comment but, I personally prefer (on my very limited budget!) to get more plastic for my ££s. I am sure that for fans of the type it will be worth it & I will not presume to debate that. It is after all a matter of choice. Actually, I paid a good bit less than £30 for my Sea Vixens!! :D

I'm not a fan of helicopters but, I hope it does sell well - anything that keeps Airfix going gets my vote. Especially if it gets me a 1/72 VC-10!!!!! - OK folks! Just dreaming now! :lol:

The Sea Vixen is 40 quid, near as makes no odds, and nobody even raises an eyebrow...

I did when the price jumped up from £35. Luckily I already had one by then.

Of course, Airfix must charge a price which the market will bear and will be attractive enough for them to sell sufficient quantities. I must say I'm not entirely surprised at the price of the Lynx. At Telford last year I overheard one of the reps saying that their research suggested that they could charge £30 plus for the model, so I knew then I would probably not be buying one. This is a shame as a price between £20 to £25 would probably have tempted me into the world of helicopters. Still, there's always the Revell Apache, which can be had for less than £20.

I dont think the prices are bad for a new tool 1.48 kit that is filling a hole you could really only fill by the Blechers bits kit and that needs a lot of work.

I will get one of each even though I am not the worlds greatest helo fan.

I will ask one question will it be possible to back date the Lynx to an older model as i always wanted a 1.48 cersion of the Airfix kit I built as a kid (the blue one), or will this need a substbantial resin set?

Julien

The gift set Westland Lynx HMa8 Gift Set (A50112) is GBP39.99

http://www.airfix.com/airfix-products/roya...&sortorder=

The standard 1/48 Westland Lynx Navy HMA8 / Super Lynx (A10107) is GBP29.99

The standard 1/48 Westland Lynx Army AH-7 (A09101) is GBP27.99

Does anybody buy anything at RRP these days?

I don't.

Edited by fidgeh

I wonder how many baulking at the price of the Lynx still want a 1/48 Vulcan?

Me!!! Though I'm not baulking (and I should finish off my Aeroclub one first!!!!!

I still maintain that this hobby is as cheap a hobby as there is. I know money's tight but come on...how much to watch a premier league match - or a Hornby OO gauge coach ....or, or.....or....

The Sea Vixen is worth every single one of those 3999 pennies. I have no reason to think that Hornby/Airfix have regretted issuing that kit - and there's no reason to suggest that this Lynx will be any different (was watching them yesterday at Yeovilton funnily enough....), and then there's nor the Merlin......add a Wessex, A Gazelle and who'll need the Vulcan! (mind you.......)

2012- The year of the 1/48th British Modern Day Military diorama eh?

Edited by Bill Clark

Does anybody buy anything at RRP these days?

I don't.

Your wife does the shopping eh? :D

..thats all well and good, but smaller traders, especially those with overheads tend to rely on RRP to survive. I must have missed a trick when I had my shop. I should have asked the council for a discount on my Recommend Rates Price, or my landlord for a discount on my Recommended Rent Price, or the Tax men for discounts on my VAT and income taxes...I could have then passed those savings on.

When I offered discounts in my shop it just meant I had less to pay off my ever increasing debt!

And I'm not having a go - I'm always up for a bargain - who isn't, but I think its important to remember just who pays for this discount, because someone does!! Maybe bear that in mind when the push comes to the shove and some retaillers are struggling......

I had a look at the sprues and it looked great to me, but I am no Lynx expert. At under £30 its very good value in comparison to other all new products.

I have to agree with Bill on the RRP point, on another thread it mentions the Italeri hurricanes going for about £20 on ebay, if I buy them on my trade account with hannants getting the 33% off retail, once VAT is added (i am not VAT registered so can't claim it back) they cost me £19.99 before delivery! He must have a better supplier than me...

Colin

I think we are seeing Hornby's dual strategy in operation: more expensive sophisticated kits ( like the Sea Vixen, Lynxes etc) as well as pocket money kits at the entry level. What I find particularly delightful is that the standards at *both* ends of this strategy are now stabilising at "Very good"

30 quid (ish) it excellent value for kits like the lynx- compare it with the other market leaders and you can see what I mean.

As Bill points out - this hobby really is cheap. I play the drums in two bands ( hello Spence!) - know what a pair of sticks costs me? Twelve quid. They last me about 3 gigs. Heads for my kit ( the skins) cost in the region of £150 and I have to replace most of them at least three times a year. And these are DISPOSABLE items. I buy a 40 quid kit ( still a stretch , I am nowhere near well off) will do me for ages and I get to keep it when I am done building it. I can enjoy it for years.

The sticks make good firewood and the old heads go in landfill.

Kits are a bargain :-)

Edited by Stuflyer

I think we are seeing Hornby's dual strategy in operation: more expensive sophisticated kits ( like the Sea Vixen, Lynxes etc) as well as pocket money kits at the entry level. What I find particularly delightful is that the standards at *both* ends of this strategy are now stabilising at "Very good"

30 quid (ish) it excellent value for kits like the lynx- compare it with the other market leaders and you can see what I mean.

As Bill points out - this hobby really is cheap. I play the drums in two bands ( hello Spence!) - know what a pair of sticks costs me? Twelve quid. They last me about 3 gigs. Heads for my kit ( the skins) cost in the region of £150 and I have to replace most of them at least three times a year. And these are DISPOSABLE items. I buy a 40 quid kit ( still a stretch , I am nowhere near well off) will do me for ages and I get to keep it when I am done building it. I can enjoy it for years.

The sticks make good firewood and the old heads go in landfill.

Kits are a bargain :-)

Hey mate - I couldn't agree more!!!

Spence :)

Link to sprue shots here

6270210596_6cc13a5400_b.jpg

6269680371_6505ae6930_b.jpg

6269679185_d917d8dc9a_b.jpg

6270208246_7f240e6133_b.jpg

6270207718_8be3b596a9_b.jpg

The photos dont do it justice to be honest.

Gun - GPMG with either port or stbd CSW mounting

AH9A - I'm working with a well known Canadian company at present to do a 9A/LHTEC T800 conversion ;) (based on my conversion on the link above)

I've flown Lynx for 20 years and am a bit of a Lynx nut to say the least....and having spent quite a bit of time studying the sprues on Airfix's stand, I can report that the detail and accuracy is exquisite. They intend to have a near production version built for Telford (I actually supplied the BS colour code for the green to the chap on the stand! BS220 for those interested..and thats straight from the Lynx F700). Release for Naval versions Feb 2012 and the Army a month later. Chap on the stand said this project has been as complex as the 1/24 Mossie! They initially elected to do several versions of the Navy aircraft in one go but soon realised there are a lot of subtle differences between them all. Mk3's and 8's have different cockpits for example (and totally different to Mk7s) and then you have the minefield of export versions. Some have old tail rotor (opposite direction) with tail fold and CMRBs, others have new tail rotor, fixed tail, newer sponsons, different radar and a different cockpit. You can then chuck in combinations of all of those depending on the market. Even the Army AH7 has approx 5 or 6 sub marks within the fleet! I'd rather wait and make sure they get it right then rush out a poor representative. Price wise, I think looking at the result and quality, its not bad.

I'm going to nudge for a Wildcat in the near future (currently converting one of my ten+ 1/72 kits in to one). Once I get my hands on an Airfix 1/48, I'll convert one of those too. Easily done as its exactly what Westlands do.......

Edited by Lynx7

I already put Navy Lynx to the watching list on Hannants website. Price is aceptable for a new moulded kit in my opinion.

Waiting for Merlin and Wessex in this scale... I know I am dreamer...

You are aware Airfix are working on a 1/48 Merlin? A Walter would be awesome in 1/48 too!