recommendations for best 1/72 P-51B/C?

PaulR

Afternoon all,

Topic title says it all really . . . what in peoples' opinions is the best 1/72nd P-51B/C? Have seen the Revell and Academy ones floating about, but looking for the most accurate option.

Cheers for any comments,

Paul

Most accurate - Academy, it's the only one that gets close to the correct shape of the wing root extension - it is slightly short in the rear fuselage (A trait it shares with it's spiritual ancestor, the Hasegawa kit) - there is a question about the shape of the rear glazing IIRC, but IMO it's better overall than the Revell kit.

Of the others, the Revell kit has the wing le/ex start too far out on the wing, giving a too shallow angle, and the otherwise very nice Hasegawa one has the opposite problem, with the LEX starting at the right place on the wing but going too far forward (To the location of the P-51D LEX) making it too acute an angle. All The Revell kits I've ever had have been made of a rather soapy plastic as well.

Edited by Dave Fleming

The Academy wing is too broad, this is the consequence of starting the blending from the fuselage to the inner leading edges at the same point as the Hasegawa does.

Therefore it is not accurate too ....

Edited by occa

Now if Tamiya would scale down their 1/48 P-51B/C ... In the absence of that however, the choice is between Revell and Academy. I liked the Revell kit when it was released because it had a much closer to correct wing then the older Hasegawa 'B'. Academy does provide two tails to allow either with or without the vertical tail forward extension but this results in a potential join flurb. Neither kit gets the wing quite right, but both are better than Hasegawa's. While I have multiples of both kits, the one I would build first is the Academy version.

The Academy wing is too broad, this is the consequence of starting the blending from the fuselage to the inner leading edges at the same point as the Hasegawa does.

I'd need to dig out the kits, but my memory form comparing them 10 years ago was that the Academy one started further back than Hasegawa

The tail is a pretty decent fit, so you shouldn't have too much of a problem with the Academy one. Importantly, the Academy boxings has markings for a RAF Mustang Mk III, which I deem to be a good thing and for the 'Old Crow', which is a favourite of mine.

thanks

Mike

Edited by Mikemx

Looking at the fuselages, the Hasegawa one looks to be the best. I'm not sure how easy it would be to shorten the wing strake: I've done it on other kits without too much of a problem but missed it on this one until too late.

Revell did an RAF Malcolm hood version, I hadn't realised Academy offered one.

Looking at the fuselages, the Hasegawa one looks to be the best. I'm not sure how easy it would be to shorten the wing strake: I've done it on other kits without too much of a problem but missed it on this one until too late.

Revell did an RAF Malcolm hood version, I hadn't realised Academy offered one.

I think adjusting the fillet on the Hasegawa kit involves cutting into the undercarriage bays, which is more trouble that I'm up for.

The Academy kit comes with both normal and Malcolm canopies as standard: it's not a specific boxing like Revell's.

The tail is a pretty decent fit, so you shouldn't have too much of a problem with the Academy one. Importantly, the Academy boxings has markings for a RAF Mustang Mk III, which I deem to be a good thing and for the 'Old Crow', which is a favourite of mine.

thanks

Mike

The Revell is also available as a Mustang MKIII, albeit you have to pick between that boxing and the B/C boxing with USAAF markings.

The Revell one aso suffers from dodgy mainwheel hub detail as well as the canopy which is also a bit too thivk. Otherwise its not too bad. The falcon.Squadron vacform canopy is a good remedy but needs some fettling in order for it to fit well. I know because I have done this!

The Academy is as mentioned above.

Older B models have been done in 1/72 by Monogram that had nice transparencies supplying both the framed hood and Malcolm hood but was, overall, quite good. Raised detail but bare wheel bays and the chin inlet was a vague. Also the main wheels were spoked but simplified.

Airfix did one too. Not bad but skinny undercarriage legs making it quite weak and raised surface detail but it was a product of the 70's

A simple alternative is the 'clone' of the Academy one done by Hobbyboss.

NAP1020364.jpg

It is quite a reasonable kit and very easy to make. Unlike some of the other HB kits, it's easy to fix its main fault - a too simple interior.

Edited by Ed Russell
  • Like 2

A simple alternative is the 'clone' of the Academy one done by Hobbyboss.

NAP1020364.jpg

It is quite a reasonable kit and very easy to make. Unlike some of the other HB kits, it's easy to fix its main fault - a too simple interior.

That's a super colour scheme! I take it was attached to a photo recce unit? Did it have any modifications, like camera ports or similar? Also, what is the serial number? Can't quite make out the last two numbers. Might have to do my own version of this!

Paul

Edited by PaulR

That's a super colour scheme! I take it was attached to a photo recce unit? Did it have any modifications, like camera ports or similar? Also, what is the serial number? Can't quite make out the last two numbers. Might have to do my own version of this!

Paul

See this thread:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.p...hl=Blue+Mustang

HTH.

Paul

See this thread too

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.p...c=59796&hl=

• 7 years later...
On 10/24/2011 at 11:11 AM, Paul J said:

The Revell one aso suffers from dodgy mainwheel hub detail as well as the canopy which is also a bit too thivk. Otherwise its not too bad. The falcon.Squadron vacform canopy is a good remedy but needs some fettling in order for it to fit well. I know because I have done this!

The Academy is as mentioned above.

Older B models have been done in 1/72 by Monogram that had nice transparencies supplying both the framed hood and Malcolm hood but was, overall, quite good. Raised detail but bare wheel bays and the chin inlet was a vague. Also the main wheels were spoked but simplified.

Airfix did one too. Not bad but skinny undercarriage legs making it quite weak and raised surface detail but it was a product of the 70's

One thing that could be done is to mate the Revell wings and parts of the interior, landing gear etc with the Monogram fuselage... ...but now I give my hopes to Arma Hobby that they will come upp with an accurately P-51B/C...

/André

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andre B said:

One thing that could be done is to mate the Revell wings and parts of the interior, landing gear etc with the Monogram fuselage... ...but now I give my hopes to Arma Hobby that they will come upp with an accurately P-51B/C...

/André

There are newer threads on the problem of getting a decent 1/72 Mustang B/C than this 7 year old one 

General consensus is that even the newer B/C's have not rectified the old kits faults and have introduced problems of their own. No-one is perfect and for my part. I'm impatiently waiting for Tamiya to come up with their take on a B/C.

/Finn

1 hour ago, FinnAndersen said:

There are newer threads on the problem of getting a decent 1/72 Mustang B/C than this 7 year old one 

General consensus is that even the newer B/C's have not rectified the old kits faults and have introduced problems of their own. No-one is perfect and for my part. I'm impatiently waiting for Tamiya to come up with their take on a B/C.

/Finn

Hello Finn,

Yes I knew about the newer threads but I didn't got the time to write in every one.

The thing is that I have both the Revell and Marketing kits and could compare them closely. It could be a wery cheap cross kiting.

But as you say, no kit upp to this day is perfect and we are still waiting for an accurate P-51B...

Cheers / André

My vote goes to the Academy kit partly because I had no end of bother with a Revell kit. Besides Monogram, Airfix did a B/C ....Hmmm heres a thought how about Airfix did a new mould B? theres plenty of options and versions along with strong connection to RAF ! 

Petition Airfix? count me in!

Edited by longweight
  • Like 1

For sure it is time for an new kit. My vote for the moment goes to Arma Hobby as lot of polish pilots flew P-51B in the RAF. But if Airfix, Tamiya and/or eduard takes the challenge I am not sad...

Cheers / André