Airfix Angel Interceptor (A02026)

Richard M

btw, if anyone needs a reference shot for the Angels, here's a good one:

Or you could base your Angel on a rather more realistic looking "model"?

jodiekidd.jpg

Edited by gengriz

• 2 weeks later...

There's a review build of this kit in the new Airfix Model World. The article explains why the pilots were all female - because to land it takes "great skill, manual dexterity and multi-tasking"!

• 1 month later...
My retro Kits cockpit and Angels arrived the other day, very small as one would expect but extremely nicely formed and cast.

Marty...

Any photographs? I tried searching their site but, other than a small note on the 'what's new' page, I couldn't find anything about it.

I requested an image of the RetrokiT Airfix Angel Interceptor resin cockpit parts and Domi (at RetrokiT) sent me this image of the instructions he sent to the caster. He also responded that the standing figure is 1/72 but the smaller seated figure is not. The cockpit tub looks really nice and the inclusion of the control stick is appreciated.

Retro_Kits_Angel_resin_cockpit_parts.JPG

That looks very neat, must get a set for when I get round to building mine. I saw the article in January's Airfix Model World but as soon as I saw that he had left on the snap-fit lugs on the side of the nose I lost interest in the article. If he can't work out that these were not on the original, then he won't have anything worth saying about the damn kit!

I always thought that the first thing you did when building a kit was to do some research into the subject, no matter what it was! When I did my Thunderbirds Firefly I search for as many pictures and references as I could for this unusual vehicle. When I started painting Sara in chainmail I got my girlfriend... ahem well we need not go into too much detail on that front...

If you can't be bothered to do the research for a model, what justification is there for including that in a magazine? I've seen infinitely better and more careful builds of that model on here and other sites than was featured in that article!

Edited by Kallisti

That looks very neat, must get a set for when I get round to building mine. I saw the article in January's Airfix Model World but as soon as I saw that he had left on the snap-fit lugs on the side of the nose I lost interest in the article. If he can't work out that these were not on the original, then he won't have anything worth saying about the damn kit!

I always thought that the first thing you did when building a kit was to do some research into the subject, no matter what it was! When I did my Thunderbords Firefly I search for as many pictures and references as I could for this unusual vehicle. When I started painting Sara in chainmail I got my girlfriend... ahem well we need not go into too much detail on that front...

If you can't be bothered to do the research for a model, what justification is there for including that in a magazine? I've seen infinitely better and more careful builds of that model on here and other sites than was featured in that article!

My feelings exactly.

Submit an article then.

Quick question about the subject rather than the model.

Is it actually an Interceptor?

Those bits of Captain Scarlet that I can remember (from a loooong time ago), I can only ever remember the Angels firing on ground targets - never anything airborne.

Definately interceptors ;-D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4Xorn2TbU8

Having just done a quick test dry fit, one only needs to remove the top part of the seat lug, the base part is required to hold the cockpit in place. If one does that it is a lovely snug fit with no need to do any work on the resin. The part makes a huge difference and improves the kit no end.

Marty...

Submit an article then.

I looked on the magazine's website and in the magazine itself and (unlike FineScale Modeler), they don't have any guidelines for submitting articles. Heck, they don't even accept reader's letters or photos.

But we did get a 6 part series on the different color schemes of the Vickers Valiant. Be still my heart.

• 1 month later...

Any idea what the price of the resin cockpit for this will be? I've got at least two that I want to build, although I may just do a couple of them OOB with some minor tweaks since once you stick a pilot in that pit, you can't see all that much anyway. But, one I plan to build as a "Mysteronized" Angel Interceptor in primer gray (can't recall the episode it was in, possibly "Seek and Destroy") and for that one, the cockpit will clearly be visible.

I've also been toying with doing the MiG from Joe 90, of which the original model was an Angel Interceptor kitbashed with what appears to be an Aurora F-111. It looks like I can probably do it with the Airfix Angel and a 1/144 F-111 kit. Only minor snag I can see is the Aurora F-111 used appears to have the B/C style wings. Although my planned F-111 parts donor is a Crown F-111 reboxed by Revell as an F-111C, its got the short F-111A style wings.

Bought the Retrokit part this week - arrived today (very prompt service, and I bought the Imperial Probe droid too - been wanting to get that for ages). Some flash on the mouldings, but nothing a sharp blade can't fix. The figure for the cockpit is a lot smaller than the standing pilot (as has already been said) but without checking the TV pictures - looks the right size for the kit.

Meant to add - found loads of cockpit photos here: http://www.spectrum-headquarters.com/galle...ls.php?album=65

Next step is to clean up the parts then see what the primer shows up.

anthony

Edited by Anthony Kesterton

The clean up on mine was modest and quick - remember don't remove all of the lug in side of the cockpit as the 'thick' part is still required for a nice snug fit of the resin tub.

Marty...

Thanks Marty - will make sure I check the fit before removing anything. Also just realised my Interceptor kit is now neatly packed away after a recent office tidy-up - so this may take a while to get started.

anthony