Academy P-47D Chow Hound 2nd

Heres my entry in this group build and it's another Modelzone seven quid special Academy jobbie. I won't post sprue or box shots as most will know what they look like by now!

I decided to go with Chow Hound 2nd from the 405th FG 509th FS as it's a pretty bird and my friend is doing a 1/48th B-17 as another Chow Hound so they will look nice sat together.

I have added the Eduard etch set which is a lovely little fret and not too complicated.

So here is the scheme, it's from Aeromasters 405th part 1 set

DSC04791.jpg

Cockpit all finished up (more or less) Colour is Vallejo and is an approximate match for Republic Interior green

DSC04790.jpg

Fuselage halves are now together and I'm just working on toning down the raised panels.

More to come soon!

Howard

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

No photo's yet I'm afraid but progress has been made. The airframe is all together and I have sanded off the raised panels and re-scribed.

I put a coat of primer on last night and have a couple of little bits to sort but nothing major.

I've asked in the WWII section but does anyone have good pics of the HVAR 4.5" rocket tubes please?

Pics will follow in a few days.

Howard

Painting has started on the hound!

I have masked and sprayed on the invasion stripes. I must say I found the fuselage ones pretty difficult to mask and ended up tracing the kit decal onto paper and then cutting through to masking tape. It worked......alright i suppose! A few touch ups to do really.

I need to re-spray the red on the tail as there is some crazing in the paint for some reason but that's ok.

Anyway, excuse background but here's a pic:

DSC04792.jpg

Howard

I apologise for the crappy iphone pics but it was late and I couldn't be bothered to get the camera out and set it all up!

Anyway, progress has been made and my first use of Alclad has been a reasonable success!:

p-47.jpg

p-472.jpg

I've got a little more to do on the underside and of course I forgot to spray the undercarriage doors (D'oh!) but I'm getting there!

Howard

• 2 weeks later...

Once again apologies for poor iphone pic but I have started the decalling.

p47decals.jpg

Hope I've done the right thing but I haven't put any Klear on the airframe. Just straight paint with decals on top! I've used a bit of Micro set (is that the blue one?) but really could use some of the red but I'm worried about damaging the paint!

Any thoughts or ideas are welcome!

Howard

Howard, I put my decals straight down on Alcad with microset and sol.

Hi Howard,

I do the same, except in my case (most recently my P-47 build) I found that Micro-Sol (red bottle) crazed the Alclad if left in a puddle...I position the decal then apply the Sol with a small brush to the decal ONLY being careful to keep the liquid off the painted surface, works great!

Dave :bye:

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm certainly pushing it but the basic airframe is now all finished. I suppose worst case she can be finished but without weapons to make the deadline.

Reason for this quick update is that I have never tried scratch building before and would really like to get into it. I decided that a good place to start would be with the bazooka rocket pods. So here's a quick pic of said pods. I have a few more bits to do obviously but here's hoping!

ROCKETPOD.jpg

Howard