Defiant Mk.I (MPM 1/72)

rav

Boulton-Paul Defiant Mk.I N3437 EW-K, Polish 307 Night Fighter Squadron, Exeter, April 1941. Crew: Sgt Franciszek Jankowiak and Sgt Jerzy Karais.

Kit: MPM 1/72. National insignia: Techmod - MPM roundels were too bright, and Polish chessboards were missing. Turret frames made of Techmod decal stripes painted Dark Green (Gunze Mr.Color) - it was first time I used this method and I'm satisfied. Everything else is standard.

Feel free to comment. Critics are welcome too.

1554.jpg

1555.jpg

1556.jpg

1557.jpg

1558.jpg

1559.jpg

1560.jpg

1561.jpg

1562.jpg

1563.jpg

1564.jpg

1565.jpg

1566.jpg

Edited by rav
  • Like 1

Hi Rav - nice model there!

What did you think of the kit to build? It's one of our (MJW Models) better sellers and I'm curious to know how well it goes together. We do the Mk I, Mk I Battle of Britain, Mk II Nightfighter and Mk I High Tech.

http://www.mjwmodels.co.uk/home

thanks

Mike

What did you think of the kit to build? It's one of our (MJW Models) better sellers and I'm curious to know how well it goes together. We do the Mk I, Mk I Battle of Britain, Mk II Nightfighter and Mk I High Tech.

This is the Hi-Tech version with resin cockpit and some etched details. Assembly was easier than I expected working on a short run kit. The only surprising things were landing lights - there are transparent parts for them, but no cut-outs in wings. I also had to add some effort to make the turret fit to the fuselage and canopy. No problems with other parts, but as I mentioned above, the roundels and fin-flash had to be replaced. In general, it was a nice experience to build this kit. Soon I'm going to start another MPM kit of the same era: the Fairey Battle.

Thanks everyone for your kind words.

Very nice job! This is yet another model that I need to have represented in my collection. Is the MPM offering the bee's knees as they say, or are there some better kits in 1:72? I'm afraid the only other kit I know of is the old Airfix one.

Cheers,

Bill

Is the MPM offering the bee's knees as they say, or are there some better kits in 1:72? I'm afraid the only other kit I know of is the old Airfix one.

There is Pavla with some fitting problems and expensive CMR resin kit. A local curiosity is a poor vacuformed copy of Airfix, issued about 20 years ago in Poland. I think MPM Hi-Tech kit is the best Defiant in 1/72.

Lovely build of this kit, I love the battered scheme and your imaginitive photography. I've also built this kit, although not nearly as well as you have! I've always thought it doesn't quite capture the lines of the Defiant (though undeniably far better than the Airfix "thing"). One thing that has always stood out is the fact that it sits very high on the undercarriage, indeed I modified mine after completion by cutting a milimetre or so off the undercarriage legs, and I found that this improved the look of the model considerably.

Good luck with the Battle, another kit I've built a few years back. As this has tons of resin you'll find it's not nearly such an easy build!

Keep seeing made up versions of this kit and I am always really impressed with them, and this one is one of the best I have seen.I will be investing in one soon I think!

Selwyn

PS By the way you title is incorrect. its not the 307th squadron! this is the USAF way of naming Squadrons.

RAF Squadrons are never described as the first, second, third, or whatever Squadron. This aircraft is from (as pronounced) Number Three-Oh-Seven Squadron RAF, written as 307 Sqn.

By the way you title is incorrect. its not the 307th squadron! this is the USAF way of naming Squadrons.

RAF Squadrons are never described as the first, second, third, or whatever Squadron. This aircraft is from (as pronounced) Number Three-Oh-Seven Squadron RAF, written as 307 Sqn.

Thank you, I was not aware of such difference. I hope now it is correct. In Polish it is pronounced "Trzysta siódmy Nocny Dywizjon Myśliwski", which is translated as "Three Hundred Seventh Night Fighter Squadron". Now I will remember, thank you.

BTW, correct Polish translation of "Squadron" should be "Eskadra". "Dywizjon" in Polish Air Force is bigger unit. But in 1942, a book of Polish traveller and journalist Arkady Fiedler, "Squadron 303", was issued in London. The book appeared in Poland in 1943 as "Dywizjon 303" and became the best known aviation reading in Poland. Even today the 303 Squadron is the most famous Polish military unit of WW2 period (deservedly, not only because of the book). It was impossible to change the title to correct "Eskadra 303" after some editions, so translation "Dywizjon" instead of "Eskadra" was left as is for all Squadrons in RAF, USAF etc.

Dywizjon-303_Arkady-Fiedler,images_product,1,978-83-7380-937-6.jpg

Very nice job! This is yet another model that I need to have represented in my collection. Is the MPM offering the bee's knees as they say, or are there some better kits in 1:72? I'm afraid the only other kit I know of is the old Airfix one.

Cheers,

Bill

The CMR is the only one that got the upwards tilt of the fuselage bottom behind the trailing edge right, all others have missed that ...

Wow , thats a surpurb Defiant , you have done a lovely job.

A couple of observations if i may , To me the spinner looks slightly undersized creating a step behind insted of smoothing into the cowling

i noticed you have used 6 stack exhausts , is this correct for a MK1 Defiant? all the pictures of Defiants i have seem show the 3 stack as per Spitfire , Hurricane etc ? :unsure:

To me the spinner looks slightly undersized creating a step behind insted of smoothing into the cowling

i noticed you have used 6 stack exhausts , is this correct for a MK1 Defiant?

I think this photo shows it all:

9.jpg