Spit MkXII

Here is my first aircraft build. I've used Tamiya paints thinned with Mr Color thinners. My build thread can be found here

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=77825

I know there are a few faults with it, the ailerons, the yellow wing id markings amongst them. But overall i'm quite happy with how its turned out. I've tried to be subtle with the weathering, perhaps to subtle?

DSC_0295.jpg

DSC_0290.jpg

DSC_0289.jpg

DSC_0288.jpg

DSC_0287.jpg

DSC_0292.jpg

DSC_0282.jpg

DSC_0284.jpg

All comments good or bad welcome, they'll all be taken on board ready for my next build.

That's really really good, I'd be justifiably proud of that one!

(As for the weathering, as long as you're happy with it then it's the right amount. For every person who likes a heavily weathered model, there will be another who prefers no weathering. There is always the argument about what's 'realistic' vs what looks pleasing. I try not to worry about it, and just enjoy the hobby - that's what it's all about after all.)

Chris

Very neat and proper Spit!

My only nit pick, and that's basically Airfix' fault, would be the prop blades which are moulded quite thick. Real props have very thin tips and razor sharp trailing edges. Time spent with some wet'n'dry before painting would be well spent.

Anyway, a very nice model!

Best,

Joachim

Great Spit. Perhaps the top surfaces could do with a little more weathering but I think it come's down to personal preference. I really like the outcome though. Great job.

Wow I never expected so many positive remarks. I must admit I was quite nervous posting this up after seeing the quality of the modelling shown on here.

Trevor, no this most definitely won't be my last aircraft in fact the reason this as taken so long is because i've been flirting with a bird called Dora, that should give you a clue what my next one is!

All the other comments have been noted ready for my next MkXII as i'm planning on building another but the next one will have some goodies thrown into the mix and will have an open canopy.

Thanks for all the great comments and thanks Bigbadbadge for the cannon barrels!

Very attractive!

Since you're planning another, I'll point out another Airfix "gotcha!". The Mk.XII had the earlier spline-type gear leg, not the oleo leg they give you in the kit. You could leave off the scissors and delete any mounting points, but you also have to (to be accurate, I mean) remove the extra angle where the leg cover flares out to cover the wheel area, and the matching notch in the underside of the wing.

I agree that pudgy prop-blades are undesirable. They give me flashbacks to those old 1/72 kits I had...

bob

Edited by gingerbob

Pretty damn fine for a first aircraft! Paintjob looks excellent in particular.

As to your 'errors', I can't see anything wrong with the yellow wing markings, and it's hardly a great issue to re-fix one of the ailerons to achieve opposite deflection.

As others have said, weathering is very much a personal thing, and you've got the knack of getting it to look subtle, which is quite a rare art if you ask me! If anything I'd suggest some heavier oil streaking on the belly as the Mk.XII's engine installation seemed to be particularly leaky, but frankly you've done an excellent job as it is.

Pretty damn fine for a first aircraft! Paintjob looks excellent in particular.

As to your 'errors', I can't see anything wrong with the yellow wing markings, and it's hardly a great issue to re-fix one of the ailerons to achieve opposite deflection.

As others have said, weathering is very much a personal thing, and you've got the knack of getting it to look subtle, which is quite a rare art if you ask me! If anything I'd suggest some heavier oil streaking on the belly as the Mk.XII's engine installation seemed to be particularly leaky, but frankly you've done an excellent job as it is.

Thanks Phil, yeah I may give her a bit more oil staining on her belly when i've had a little more practice. With it being my first I didn't want to risk fudging it up at the last hurdle. Thats why I kept the weathering down as I thought better to little than to much?

Nice one Kurt, you've done an excellent job :thumbsup:

Really looking forward to the Dora, how's it going?

H

Hey Howard, thanks for the thumbs up. The Dora is coming along fine, i'll get some pics up tomorrow.

Kurt :D