It's the worst job in modelling ever...

reddeathdrinker

Sticking this in Cold War, cause that's where it belongs!

The worst job in modelling ever is de-rivetting the Revell Shackelton MR.3. I believe I have now scraped off 6 of the 8 million rivets flying in close formation, and there doesn't seem to be an end in sight!

ehJPgl.jpg

Edited by reddeathdrinker

I feel your pain, I'm on the same stage! (well not quite, I chose to rub mine down before fitting the glazing and buttoning everything up)

It's a right "riveting" build, isn't it!

Sticking this in Cold War, cause that's where it belongs!

The worst job in modelling ever is de-rivetting the Revell Shackelton MR.3. I believe I have now scraped off 6 of the 8 million rivets flying in close formation, and there doesn't seem to be an end in sight!

http://i.imgur.com/ehJPgl.jpg[mg]

not to worry just give it a rub down until just a hint of rivet remains, in 1/72 you just do not see thm.

look at my shack mr2 37 sqdn pics on airliners.net and i defy you to see any rivets (if you can be bothered the are under richard hugo walker loads of shack pics and not a rivet in sight)

not to worry just give it a rub down until just a hint of rivet remains, in 1/72 you just do not see thm.

look at my shack mr2 37 sqdn pics on airliners.net and i defy you to see any rivets (if you can be bothered the are under richard hugo walker loads of shack pics and not a rivet in sight)

Hope you don't mind me quoting one of your photo's?

What do you mean "can't see the rivets"? http://www2.britmodeller.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/wink.png

As you said, a quick rub down until the slightest hint remains should do nicely.

Edited by Greg B
Airliners.net photo removed
  • Like 1

All those rivets on the Frog kit were the reason I was interested when the rumors were circulating that the 1:72 followup to the Valiant would be a Shack (or possibly a Lincoln). I'd definitely buy one of those in a second. Haven't heard much about it since, though.

All those rivets on the Frog kit were the reason I was interested when the rumors were circulating that the 1:72 followup to the Valiant would be a Shack (or possibly a Lincoln). I'd definitely buy one of those in a second. Haven't heard much about it since, though.

No, everybody knows it's a 1/48 Vulcan :)

Well, way back when , when the Frog kit was first released, rivets were the detail to have! Much like engraved panel lines today. If your kit didn't have rivets it was considered a pretty poorly molded kit.

Those Shackleton molds are probably older than 80% of the members of this forum, I would think.

Well, way back when , when the Frog kit was first released, rivets were the detail to have! Much like engraved panel lines today. If your kit didn't have rivets it was considered a pretty poorly molded kit.

Those Shackleton molds are probably older than 80% of the members of this forum, I would think.

Thats about right!

Ill chip in with something about scale viewing distance. When seen on the shelf from a proper distance*, rivets in 1/72 scale pretty much disappear. A "hint" of them is all that is required.

Isn't 1/72 scale also referred to as "shelf scale," among others?

Isn't 1/72 scale also referred to as "shelf scale," among others?

Also known as "3-foot scale" (3' = 72" for the imperially-challenged and under 30's!!!). Although it can also mean "Looks good from 3 feet away!!!"

I'm leaving a hint, as the Shack airframes weren't known for their fine smooth finish anyway - I think I've enough plastic scrapings to make a 1/72 scale Spitfire from the rivets on this thing:)

Six feet equals 72 inches, which is why it was never known as the "Three foot scale"

Phil

Also known as "3-foot scale" (3' = 72" for the imperially-challenged and under 30's!!!). Although it can also mean "Looks good from 3 feet away!!!"

I'm leaving a hint, as the Shack airframes weren't known for their fine smooth finish anyway - I think I've enough plastic scrapings to make a 1/72 scale Spitfire from the rivets on this thing:)

• Like 2