Revell 1/32 Tornado GR4

Welcome to the lesson on how not to build the Revell Tornado.

I've taken the plunge and started my first build thread, don't expect regular updates, because I don't have nearly enough time to devote to modelling as I'd like to sad.png But, I will endeavour to see this through to the end, this may result in a finished model or a pile of plastic lying at the bottom of the wall it's just been launched at. biggrin.png

Any hoo, as the title suggest's here's what I'll be using,

6246330942_711b8131dd_z.jpg

Closer look at the Flightpath set,

6245809453_b5f2aacecb_z.jpg

Where I'm at to date

6246333434_f35f67ca65_z.jpg

It'll be converted to a GR4, and if I can find current pictures of a GR4 cockpit, will be bang up to date.

Scratch building anything not included in the Flightpath set, at least until my talent runs out.

As for the finished markings, I've not decided, But as I live not too far away from Lossiemouth, It will be one of the local Squadrons. 15sqn would be nice but I'd have to make the markings myself, or the easier route 617sqn, using the kit decals but incorperating any changes needed to make a Grey jet.

Any encourgement and pointers gratefully recieved

Thanks for looking

Mike

Edited by twentyten

Hi Mike,

As Phil says, have a look in the 'completed Group Builds' at the Tornado GB done recently. You should find all the info you need in the reference section.

Good luck with the build and completing it in 617 Sqn markings.

Steve

Hi Mike,

I made the same kit, same detail set. If it helps here's the LINK to my build, it might help with some of the more inscrutable parts of the Flightpath instruction sheet!!

Keep up the good work mate :thumbsup2:

Al

Edited by PHaTNesS

Phil, Steve & Al, thanks for looking. I've had a look in the GB thread, as you all say there is a lot of great info and reference material in there.

Al, your build is fantastic, so much so, can the Mods please delete this thread as it serves no purpose.......only joking!

I've made some progress with the ejector seat (I keep telling myself that the second one will just fall together) :wall:

6254586327_f8bbb583d1_z.jpg

The one thing I could really do with is a decent picture of the ejector seat headbox, as the one that FP gives you looks a bit big.

6255120408_6f7c5ebbc9_z.jpg

I'm finding that my eyesight isn't what it used to be, despite not needing glasses I find it very difficult to focus on the small parts, quite how I managed the last time I used a FP set about 10-15 years ago I don't know!

I also forgot that I have some other goodies for this project.

6254705301_7d33d60217_z.jpg

and

6254591425_79c6ca6035_z.jpg

I also have a boarding ladder somewhere too, but I can't find it :doh:

Apologies for the Photo's, I'm afraid they're only off my phone.

Thanks for again for looking

• Like 1

Phil, Steve & Al, thanks for looking. I've had a look in the GB thread, as you all say there is a lot of great info and reference material in there.

Al, your build is fantastic, so much so, can the Mods please delete this thread as it serves no purpose.......only joking!

I've made some progress with the ejector seat (I keep telling myself that the second one will just fall together) :wall:

The one thing I could really do with is a decent picture of the ejector seat headbox, as the one that FP gives you looks a bit big.

I'm finding that my eyesight isn't what it used to be, despite not needing glasses I find it very difficult to focus on the small parts, quite how I managed the last time I used a FP set about 10-15 years ago I don't know!

and

The's photo's of the seat in my Tornado reference sticky in the resources board.As to the seat,the headbox of the brass one is wayyy to big,personally I'd go with the resin one as it'll be easier to reshape the headbox as it's totally different on the GR4 than the GR1.

Merv (Tornado Armorer retired)

Thanks Spike

The brass one is "supposed" to be a GR4 headbox, comparing it to photo's of the real thing it does look the right shape,but in comparison to the standard GR1 sea,t the headbox looks grossly oversized, but I'm no expert. Also there is much more detail to add, it may not look so big when its more busier????

Thanks for the heads up on your sticky there is a wealth of info on it :book:

Speaking of which, in post 20, the 7th picture down, is that the current configuriation of the Nav's IP or do they mostly still have the shrouded ??radar?? display?

thanks in advance

Doing well, so far, Mike.

I, also have the two Flightpath sets, so I'm looking forward to seeing how you tackle the slats n' flaps set.

Steve

P.s. If you can, get yourself a copy of the HTmodel book. Probably the best photo reference book on the Tornado.

6254705301_7d33d60217_z.jpg

and

6254591425_79c6ca6035_z.jpg

You're quite right, the headbox is way too big. Do a google for martin baker mk10 for some decent images

Mike

Blimey she is not going to be short of detail is she? :D

A good decision on the Master pitot and the SAC undercarriage as they are good like-for-like swaps and far better in detail. Will relax in the armchair for this one and watch your progress. Having done the ECR for the GB I'm tempted (if I can get one at a decent price) to go for an RAF one...

Andy

Thanks Spike

The brass one is "supposed" to be a GR4 headbox, comparing it to photo's of the real thing it does look the right shape,but in comparison to the standard GR1 sea,t the headbox looks grossly oversized, but I'm no expert. Also there is much more detail to add, it may not look so big when its more busier????

Thanks for the heads up on your sticky there is a wealth of info on it :book:

Speaking of which, in post 20, the 7th picture down, is that the current configuriation of the Nav's IP or do they mostly still have the shrouded ??radar?? display?

thanks in advance

Thats a pre service photo of the TARDIS display,which the Tornado is currently being upgraded too,years late of course..wouldn't be right if it was done on time or in budget...so not all jets have been upgraded as yet from what I gather.

6a00d83451f5c369e200e54f7d7b688834-.jpg

Thanks Spike

It is an NVG compatible headbox designed from 1/4 scale Martin Baker fully dimensioned drawings [as was our original seat] and so each dimension can be verified. At the time the set was designed in 1999 was the proposed fit for the GR4/A upgrades. I've no idea what has happened since as I have not kept up to date with Tornado matters.

It is interesting to note that as we are [very very slowly] working through the development of our 32nd Hawk Detail sets we are finding that many fittings on the Revell kit are as much as 15% undersized when compared with drawings and dimensions taken from the real thing. The whole kit feels slightly miniaturised to us!!! In part, this a function of everything having to be over-thick in plastic kits I suppose and so this is especially noticable on internal items due to clearance considerations.

Regards,

David Parkins,

Flightpath

EDIT: Sorry made an off-topic comment!

That TARDIS display looks groovy, more the sort of thing you'd expect to see in a modern fast jet back seat. Wouldn't be too hard to scratchbuild either?

Edited by PHaTNesS

• 1 month later...

I've done very little on this I'm ashamed to say, We were away for a weekend on a Family celebration, and I've been busy at work.......Blah Blah.

I've also been making arrangements for another project, and I'm pleased to say that I'm getting on alright with it, just a few more small things to do and It'll be finished.

Here's a WIP photo...

6390985753_e3e33d15ae_z.jpg

Just the roof shingles to be nailed on, they're not here yet, and then SWMBO needs to to decide on a clear coat or which colour she wants it.

I'm quite pleased with it :D

Mike

Edit, Hopefully I'll have some Tornado related progress next time.

• 4 months later...

4 and a bit months later I'm not much further on I'm afraid, I've kinda put the seats to one side, but I'm on version 2 of the paint job in the cockpit after getting carried away with the weathering on version 1 :rolleyes:

Hopefully I can take some Pictures soon for an update.

Thanks for the comments.

Mike

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

For those of you still hanging in there, I have been pootling about with this in the last 6 months, whilst Work, Life, Holiday's, the Garden and did I mention Work!!!, have been conspiring to keep me away from the Modelling bench.

Anyways, here's a couple of pic's of the Cockpit thus far,

8027152100_289bab58d7.jpg

and,

8027155839_f30bdb284a.jpg

It's just a work in progress, I've fitted it in to the Fuselage halves to see how it looks, with a view to gauging how much additional detail i can incorparate.

However, I've had enough of the cockpit for the moment, and have decided to have a bash at the Flightpath Flaps and Slats set, my logic is that this has the most potential for me to make a hash of and waste any work that went before it.

I've started with the Flap bays,this pic is one of the main flap bays seperated from the fret and cleaned up

8027170945_371b9f4497.jpg

For anyone familiar with Flightpath etched sets, you'll probably be aware of the "push-through rivet detail.

During, you can see the "tool" I used in the backround, a short piece of stainless steel TIG welding rod sharpened to point.

8027165033_92c4a9be42.jpg

And the result, lovely raised rivets.

8027161589_154b600fcf.jpg

This is where i am as of now.

8027158607_d4826361f3.jpg

I've folded the flap bay and also folded the flap guides, I've then sat the guides in position to see how it looks, I don't know if there are any of you who have used this set and can comment, but i think the top surface needs to bend down a bit more to match the slope of the guides.

Anyway I think thats it for now, see you all in another 6 months.

:pilot:

Mike