S&M 1/144 British Midland Viscount

I've just done some reading up on this aircraft and it's history is far more interesting than the model ! To read up yourself, see:

http://www.vickersviscount.net/Index/Vicke...435History.aspx

To summarise, it first flew in August 1959 and started it's operational career in Australia with trans Australia Airlines. Before reaching BMA, it flew for operators in the USA, and Oman. One of it's operators was the Union Carbide & Carbon Corporation. In 1978 it was sold by Sultan of Oman Air Force and purchased by BMA, it's 9th operator where it was repainted and had ther slipper tanks removed that it had carried for over 18 years. in 1985 it was leased to Manx and stayed in this livery until 1989. From there it served with another 6 operators in the UK, South Africa and Zaire. on the 27th April 2003, it was attempting a 3 engined take off in the Congo from a gravel strip for a ferry flight when another engine failed. The aircraft crashed into trees where it was written off. Apparently there were no fatalities fortunately. Thanks to Vivkersviscount.net for this great piece of aviation history.

The model:

The kit is the S&M 800 variant. I got two for £10 at Telford last year, who could turn down that opportunity ?

After making a start on it (and it's sister) last year, I never progressed until recently. A really enjoyable build with no drama's (apart from having to drill a hole to retrofit a nose weight !!). Looking at pictures, the nose looked a bit blunt, so it was remodelled using milliput to get it a little more pointed. I gave the trailing edges a load of elbo grease to thin them out, but in the end gave up, but they don't look too bad. The undercarriage is well engineered and moulded, the wheels have good rims making painting really easy. Detailing came from Classic-Airliners.com BMA decals with a great service from Nick and a lovely set of flying surface detail decals from TwoSix which bring the model alive and make the scale deceiving. Aeriels and u/c doors were scratch built from styrene sheet and the painting is Halfords Appliance white, halfords aluminium spray for the wings and Revell Aqua 371 for the lower fusleage.

DSC03124.jpg

DSC03119.jpg

DSC03118.jpg

DSC03109.jpg

DSC03107.jpg

DSC03115.jpg

Thanks for looking

Neil

Edited by woody37
  • Like 2

Nice one Neil, that looks awesome. Is the detail on the wings decals or panel lines washed??

Cheers guys,

Patrick, the curtains are part of the decal, I wish I could do model ones that good !

Martin, the wing detail is the detail decal, the only actual panel lines are the flaps and ailerons which are also overlayed with decal. The only weathering I've done is the undercarriage.

at 1/144 scale. I think the decal detailing works really well.

Thanks

Neil

Edited by woody37

Neil,

I've got to have one of those now, it looks absolutely top notch. Cracking choice of colour scheme too.

You've turned out another beautiful build, those wing decals look really good.

Cheers

John

Cheers guys,

Patrick, the curtains are part of the decal, I wish I could do model ones that good !

Martin, the wing detail is the detail decal, the only actual panel lines are the flaps and ailerons which are also overlayed with decal. The only weathering I've done is the undercarriage.

at 1/144 scale. I think the decal detailing works really well.

Thanks

Neil

oh yeah they lookk awesome really fine detail, looks ace.

Superb, Neil, very well done. She's a beauty.

That's looking really good. I think the S&M Viscount is an under-rated kit - you can do a lot with it. Like you, I used the TwoSix detail decals and was surprised how much they added. You've also reminded me to post up my KLM Viscount.....

looks like one of your best ever - I have a kit, I have decals....must get on with one :)

actually one of my to-do projects is a mini-dio of jersey airport when BMA were regulars with viscounts, along with BEA/BA, BIA Dart heralds, Northeast and Cambrian Viscounts and the odd BEA Vanguard and Merchantman...I have a stack of pics from that era, early 70's I think, so if and when I get around to it, I'd love to have yours fly in Woody :)