P-51D Mustang, 1/32 Tamiya WIP

turnerdad

Now I've done a little more digging and from what a number of sources say (IPMS stokholm amongst others) the spar was painted with the yellow while the rest of the well was painted IG. Can I really be bothered...?

Here is a post by Dana Bell re the wheel wells. Generally the wells in P-51Ds were nm with the spar in yellow zinc chromate but there is evidence that late Dallas built Ds and Ks had more extensive use of yzc in the wells. A/c used later in Korea could have the wells sprayed silver or Interior Green. If you can't be bothered, that's fine - it's your model, but adding a note to this effect in the article would be of use to others. Try Googling P-51 wheel wells to learn more.

Picture1-1.png

Nick, you were building a lovely model, now you seem to be building to order. (And it's still a lovely model of course!) Please keep building to your usual standard in the most appropriate colours for your purposes! :lol:

Personally i also haven't seen many P-51D models finished with natural metal wheelwells (doesn't mean it's right, of course!) The point is that people tend to build what they like or expect to see rather than what may or may not have been; as you say, pictures are scarce and colour ones even more so. I would imagine that on a quick turnaround in a combat zone with photographic film being scarce, a groundcrewman with a camera might not have been seized with the urge to take a beautifully lit, sharp and focused shot of a wheelwell.

Looking forward to seeing more...

Al

Now I've done a little more digging and from what a number of sources say (IPMS stokholm amongst others) the spar was painted with the yellow while the rest of the well was painted IG. Can I really be bothered...?

Your model, your hands and your time :winkgrin:

Either way Nick, it looks cracking and for the 99.999999999% of us its bloody beautiful modelling.

Love that engine bay!

And your photos are always fantastic! Whats your setup?

I have a Nikon D80 (after my house and car, the single most expensive purchase I've ever made but sooooo worth it, best investment I've ever made and I've learnt so much so quickly thanks to digital. I need a new lens, but can't fully justify the £500+ price tag! I have a 3 continuous light setup, one big top light and 2 moveable front lights that I can "triangulate" the subject with. Thanks to digital, I just can check that I have something half decent.

Just want to say a big thanks to you all here for helping with colour info. I can now build a more accurate Mustang and hopefully some of this info may become better known so thanks Iain for the info, and l have to face the reality that, yes, I'm a modeller who just spent several hours trying to determine the correct colour of a wheel well (?!?!) so I obviously can be bothered which is a revelation to me. Anyway, moving on, body nearly done, and I've dealt with the notoriously ejector pin marked wheel wells. I've also dug out an old kit I can practice my metal finishes on...hopefully going to really move this on now.

Just so you know, Dana's 2004 work has been superseded by more up to date information on Mustang wheel wells. It's a hugely complicated, and largely unknowable subject, but AFAIK there is *zero* evidence that any D/K Mustang left an NAA factory with green wheel wells. The spars seem to have been uniformly YZC, and **in general** (depending on the time frame, serial number, and phase of the moon) the balance of the well in natural metal with various YZC parts.

There's an extensive discussion on the P-51 SIG web site about it.

Would you please share with me your painting skills? For example, what colors did you use to paint the engine?

Best,

I would like to know how Turnerdad achieves that beautiful natural worn/weathered effect in the cockpit and engine bay. The effect on the interior green is subtle and yet so effective.

A beatiful build so far and i'm keeping a close eye on it as i have a 1/32 Tamiya Mustang to build in my stash!

Rob

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally got some paint on, now the fun bit, try not to pull it off when masking the various markings tomorrow. I have a plan which worked really nicely for the various diffently coloured panels. Looking forward to this time tomorrow, I'll know if the painting has worked and if it does it should all be down hill from there, here's hoping...

mustanggood0002DSC_0143.jpg

I have it on good authority that Santa may be bringing this to my (far to old to be having one!) stocking. (The old man likes the kit but he knows i am now better than him at it so he would like me to do it lol).

Anyway, i was wondering how you achieved the 'oily' look the the metal work and engine etc on the model, is it an oil paint wash, like burnt umber and black or is it something else you used etc?

I am starting to get better at my weathering, and with this kit i want to be able to show off the engine etc, and i could use some of these tips on my current 1/24 mosquito, as at the moment i am using GW Citadel foundation washes which are actually very good, but they give a more dusty look, where i am looking for an more oily film look.

Fantastic build and has let me see a great build up for this kit.

I am still undecided about what colour scheme i am going for, but needless to say i will be ordering alclad for the metals :).

Can't wait to see the finished build.

Rick

It's been a good day, the markings have so far gone on without a hitch, all masked and sprayed. I was hoping to get them all on but my wife was ill and I've been looking after her. Should get it done and sealed ready for decals tomorrow, can't wait. Developed a system for masking Alclad which has worked up till now, hoping tomorrow goes as well. Just got the invasion stripes and the black ETO wing bands to do.

mustanggood0001DSC_0176.jpg

Cheers all.

Well, the painting and masking worked out fine thank heavens, I'm very pleased with the way it is coming along. Woke up at 2 and couldn't get back to sleep, I think the unfinished painting was on my mind, so I got up, made myself a cup of tea, had to use icing sugar as I'd run out of the normal stuff and got on with it. A couple of minor things to do and I shall then add a few coats of Klear, then I can start decallingaling...I'm feeling tired now

mustanggood0002DSC_0186.jpg

mustanggood0001DSC_0184.jpg