Markings for 1/32 Tamiya Spitfire VIII

Dr Lurrrrve

Hi guys

Need your help!

I need some markings for a special project that i'm doing. The Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire VIII in the markings of 607 (County of Durham) Squadron RAF whilst deployed to the SEAC theatre around 1944-45 period. The aircraft i want to model is JG559 AF-N, which was regularly flown by Aussie Flt Lt Wilf Goold, who i had the great honour to correspond with a number of years ago. (See link to artwork i found of this plane)

http://www.clavework-graphics.co.uk/aircra...re_mk8_004.html

I've worked out sizes as follows scaling up from 1/48 SEAC Spitfire VIII decals that i have, including those for AF-N, these being:

White code letters (actual approx height 13 inches x width 11.5 inches - 10.5 mm x 9 mm to 1/32 scale)

SEAC roundels (acutual approx 16 inches diameter with 5.5 inch diameter centres - 12.5 mm with 4.5mm centres to 1/32 scale)

SEAC fin flashes (height 17 inches x width 17 inches - 13.5 mm x 13.5 mm to 1/32 scale)

black serials (actual 8 inches high - 6 mm to scale )

Despite searching the net for suitable decals for codes, roundels and serials i've not had much luck. The white code letters and fin flashes i may be able to mask and spray on as they are of a simple design but the roundels and serials could pose a problem because of their size and complexity.

I have thought about seeing if i can get some custom masks done but not sure how good these will be and whether i can get these done at a reasonable price.

Would appreciate any ideas or recommendations that Britmodellers may have. You guys have helped me a lot in the past!

Thanks

Rob

White code letters (actual approx height 13 inches x width 11.5 inches - 10.5 mm x 9 mm to 1/32 scale)

SEAC roundels (acutual approx 16 inches diameter with 5.5 inch diameter centres - 12.5 mm with 4.5mm centres to 1/32 scale)

SEAC fin flashes (height 17 inches x width 17 inches - 13.5 mm x 13.5 mm to 1/32 scale)

black serials (actual 8 inches high - 6 mm to scale )

The 8 inch black serials should be easy enough, I've got a sheet of assorted 1/32nd RAF serial letters and numbers by Ventura, solid and stencil styles...

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/VA3270

For the roundels and fin flashes, had you tried looking for 'larger' markings in smaller scales?

Some people have said great things about the custom masks that are available, I've never used them but I've seen some excellent results from them for things like roundels.

The laid-down sizes, for fighters were as follows:-

Roundels 16" dia with 6" light blue centre; fin flash 24" high, with two stripes 8" wide (though it looks as though it was shortened, in height, by a white band taking up the top half of the fin, so 16" x 16" could be about right; for some reason 607 appear to have used white serials, as well as white codes, and 8" serials = 1/4" in 1/32 scale; code letters appear to be the same 16" size as the roundel, so should be 1/2" in 1/32 scale. Light blue was made from 4 parts white + 1 part roundel blue.

Take 1/2 the wingspan of the model, and measure that distance from the centre-line of the fuselage, and that's where the centre of your wing roundels should be; in 1/32 scale 1/2 of 36' 10" = 6.9" (17.54cm.) The instructions said that under-wing roundels need not be carried, but it'll pay to check.

Spray the light blue, cut a 3/16" (4.76mm) circle of masking material, and mask off the centre circle; spray the dark blue, then cut another circle 1/2" (12.7mm) and lay it exactly over the previous circle; now spray the camouflage.

If you can't find 1/4" (6.35mm) and 1/2" (12.7mm) white letters (which would be a bit of a surprise,) find any colour Letraset, or similar pressure-sensitive letters, spray the areas matt (must) white, where the codes and serials go, then lay the necessary letters and numbers in place, without burnishing them down too hard, and spray the camouflage colours on top. Peel off the Letraset with sellotape, and you're done.

Edgar

P.S. There's a photo of 607's VIIIs, which belongs to the I.W.M., and has copyright stamped on the back, so I won't put it on here; this is where I found the white serials information, which is very unusual, but there it is.