1/48 - McDD/Boeing T-45A/C Goshawk by Kinetic - released - new T-45C boxing in 2021

Homebee

Really? 100% of the 1/48th T-45 market?

Look at it this way:

-Only around 200 built

-Only 1 operational colourscheme (and a few special marked jets)

If you compare that to other aircraft that have not been kitted or of which very old, poor quality kits exist then yes, it's an odd choice.

I've put this as an example on ARC as well but strictly looking at US trainers a T-37 of which 1200 were built and which were used by 20 countries sounds like a more logical choice.

Koen

Look at it this way:

-Only around 200 built

If you compare that to other aircraft that have not been kitted or of which very old, poor quality kits exist then yes, it's an odd choice.

Koen

DH Sea Vixen. 145 aircraft built. One main operator with one colour scheme and a few variations for test aircraft and target tugs.

This has not stopped Airfix from producing a rather nice kit of the aircraft.

Whilst there are exceptions, I suspect that most military aircraft have production runs of no more than a few hundreds.

I rather like the Goshawk. It is an attractive variation on the Hawk and I was surprised nobody had produced a kit of it before.

• Like 1

Look at it this way:

-Only around 200 built

That very nearly describes the T-2, but no-one seems to have minded that being produced. And if you look at the SR-71 - 32 built, any colour you like so long as it's black - well, obviously all those kits were a waste of resources and effort too ...

Of course its all somewhat subjective and typically swayed by your own interests but I am not sure the Vixen or T-2 analogies are that similar. I think the Vixen will sell well here in the UK and be very popular on a forum full of nostalgic Brits but maybe it won't be as popular elsewhere.

The T-2 also has a couple of other operators (Greece and Venezuela) and some additional colour schemes in USN service, such as the VF-43 Adversary scheme but again not a kit I see being built in massive numbers and this was a somewhat limited run kit anyway was it not?

Anyhow I don't think KoenL was suggesting it was a waste of time/resources, just that maybe there are other kits with a bigger potential market that could possibly make Kinetic a bit more cash but I am sure they are aware of what they are selling. Chances are it will appear as "inaccurate" CAD drawings first then everyone will slag the kit off to the point that no one will buy it anyway :)

BR,

Ed

• 9 months later...

Now I really can't wait!

Dropped flaps, opened airbrakes, full depth intake ducts, decals designed by Two Bobs and printed by Cartographic? Where's my wallet?

Phil.

Caracal Models (http://www.caracalmodels.com/) has already announced two new decal sheets dedicated to the future Kinetic 1/48th T-45 Goshawk kit.

Source, pictures and details are here: http://inscale.org/p...hp?topic=2486.0

The first sheet covers units at NAS Meridian:

•TW-1 Centennial (CoNA) jet ("165998" on the image is a typo-the correct BuNo is 165598 on the decal sheet)

•TW-1 line jet (150th Goshawk)

•VT-9 Tigers commander's aircraft

•TW-1 commander's aircraft: These markings are currently worn by BuNo. 165472. In addition to this jet, markings are provided for the previous airframe (165485) which was temporarily decorated "Go Navy" (and "Beat Army" under the fuselage) for a video shoot several years ago.

•TW-1 "Salty Dog" commander's aircraft

•VT-7 Eagles commander's aircraft

goshawkannounce11.jpg

The second sheet covers NAS Kingsville and Pensacola units, as well as VX-23:

•TW-2 Centennial (CoNA) jet

•TW-2 line jet

•VT-21 commander's aircraft

•VT-22 commander's aircraft: The profile shows the aircraft as flown by the previous commander (Latorre), but the current commander's name and the "VT-22 Golden Eagles" provided

•VT-86 (Pensacola) line jet

•VX-23 "201", which made the first biofuel-powered flight earlier this year. Includes the "Navy Energy Security" marking that was worn for the event.

goshawkannounce21.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

• 3 weeks later...

I hope that the kit parts fits together without causing too much pain for us. I saw many friends suffer to build the last kits they released. I would prefer that Italeri had done this kit, using the Bae Hawk's nice kit mould for start. :huh:

I'd be looking at the target market numbers rather than the number of airframes made. There are quite a lot of Americans, last time I looked, and just like us Brits, they tend to build stuff that they fly... should do well, and I will probably get one myself for a future build, even though it's not exactly at the top of my priority list :)

Bemoaning that company A hasn't done Y when they produce X is an age old hobby. Almost as old as modelling itself. The same goes for wishing it'd been done in scale 1:C instead of 1:D. :shrug: