Caspian Sea Monster

Great stuff Ken, love the sea base, must admit I've got one on order too and might mod it into the later version with the cruise engines mounted high over the flight deck . It truly was a monster and must have been quite something to see and hear in it's day...pity someone managed to crash it in 1980 after over pitching on take off and banking hard over back into the water.....it would have been nice to have seen the thing preserved for all to wonder at in a similar way to the 'Lun'.

I always liked this photo which gives you some idea of the size of the thing!!

tumblr_kpr737KuM11qzsgg9o1_500.jpg

It's a real shame that the Spasatel wasn't finished and commissioned it could have been quite an asset particularly in the SAR role. It would be great if one or two of the model companies picked up on other proposed projects such as the MPE , 'Chaika' WIG's or massive Amphicon NVA-600 projects.

Mind you it would seem that Beriev had some ideas about re visiting the concept with its BE-2500,

beriev2500a.jpg

Now that does make a nice model....

Melchie...

Edited by general melchett

Crazy airplanes - and beautiful models!

Long time ago, I remember hearing or reading that the turbulence in these WIG (wing in ground effect) vehicles was so bad that even the pilot had a permanent barf bag. Any truth to that? Or maybe that was an early problem that was compensated for somehow?

Cheers,

Bill

Think that was a bit of 'urban legend' creeping in Bill , from what I understand the KM was a delight to 'fly' having good manoeuverability at high speed and stable throughout the flight regime. It weighed upward of 544 tons and was powered by 10 Dobrynin VD-7 engines, (the same engines as fitted to the huge Myasischev 3M Bison), to a max speed of 310 mph at 46 feet, the optimum altitude for WIG to be effective. It also had a great reliablity record and was deemed to be successfu,l meeting all requirements at the time and was greatly liked by all its flight crews.

What Melchie says..... :kissing2:

But 'powered by 10 engines' is a bit of a misnomer.......

As soon as it was 'on the cushion' in Ground Effect - the front eight engines were throttled back and only the two fin-mounted cruise engines were being used to power it forwards.

The eight front-mounted 'lift' engines were only used to get it going from a standing start - the 'sugar scoop' deflectors were angled downwards to stuff the air under the wings.

Once in forward motion, the deflectors were angled straight back as the beast accelerated on the cushion and then throttled back as it reached full speed.

That's why they were so economical - for a given engine thrust they could travel farther than a conventional aircraft or use less fuel for the same distance.

Ken

Think that was a bit of 'urban legend' creeping in Bill , from what I understand the KM was a delight to 'fly' having good manoeuverability at high speed and stable throughout the flight regime. It weighed upward of 544 tons and was powered by 10 Dobrynin VD-7 engines, (the same engines as fitted to the huge Myasischev 3M Bison), to a max speed of 310 mph at 46 feet, the optimum altitude for WIG to be effective. It also had a great reliablity record and was deemed to be successfu,l meeting all requirements at the time and was greatly liked by all its flight crews.

Thanks, General. I suspeced as much, which is why I asked. The WIG aircraft are certainly unique - 310 mph at 46 feet! That has to be a rush!

Cheers,

Bill

Cheers Jim, no problem,

But 'powered by 10 engines' is a bit of a misnomer.......

Ken, yes sorry should have made that clear, the whole point of the exercise was economy and range after all.....

Though it's a composite photo of model and background this shows the later version nicely with the rear cruise engines moved from the tail fin to above the cabin, one reason for this was to reduce spray ingestion, (the intakes were also fitted with spray deflectors in due course as seen in the lower picture).The saucer shaped object above the engines is the pylon mounted navigation radar.

CaspianSeaMonsterIIAtSea-1.jpg

KM1.jpg

Wonderful machines that somehow only the Soviets could have come up with... :jump_fire:

• 2 years later...

Absolutely stunning build - luv the dio base !

Quick question - What did you use for the great water-effect ?

Hi Subhunter

First I masked off the edges of the base, then slapped on some blue paint (those little match pots from DIY stores) - couple of different blues, maybe a touch of black etc - all totally random.

I then masked off the white areas - and sprayed with a rattle can of Halfords White Primer.

Then I got some blue cellophane and crumpled it up into a ball - then spread it out again and, using clear glue on top of the blue paint, stuck the cellophane down over it.

The wrinkles in the cellophane give a rippled effect - with air pockets trapped under it giving some impressions of depth.

I also re-sprayed the white on top of the cellophane to make it more dense.

It all sounds a bit complicated - but its dead simple.

Here's my 1/144 scale Revell A-90 done the same way....

Photo%2012.JPG

Photo%2015.JPG

(the last pic is PS'd to remove the wire strut and extend the 'water' in the photo)

I've also got a 'Lun' somewhere done the same way - I'll try and dig out the photos

Ken

PS - I also tried to tease out some cotton wool to make the spray - it nearly worked !!!

Edited by Flankerman
  • Like 3

Fantastic!

I've always been totally intrigued by these left field examples of Soviet design thinking, thanks for this absorbing thread.

TonyS

Hi Subhunter

First I masked off the edges of the base, then slapped on some blue paint (those little match pots from DIY stores) - couple of different blues, maybe a touch of black etc - all totally random.

I then masked off the white areas - and sprayed with a rattle can of Halfords White Primer.

Then I got some blue cellophane and crumpled it up into a ball - then spread it out again and, using clear glue on top of the blue paint, stuck the cellophane down over it.

The wrinkles in the cellophane give a rippled effect - with air pockets trapped under it giving some impressions of depth.

I also re-sprayed the white on top of the cellophane to make it more dense.

It all sounds a bit complicated - but its dead simple.

Here's my 1/144 scale Revell A-90 done the same way....

Photo%2012.JPG

Photo%2015.JPG

(the last pic is PS'd to remove the wire strut and extend the 'water' in the photo)

I've also got a 'Lun' somewhere done the same way - I'll try and dig out the photos

Ken

PS - I also tried to tease out some cotton wool to make the spray - it nearly worked !!!

THANKS FOR THE GREAT FEED BACK will definitely give it a go - Nice touch to use cellophane - some fellows use foil as well but it does not give any depth !