Caspian Sea Monster

Well it's a craft - and it flies through the air - so I guess it belongs here.......

Its the Anigrand 1:144 scale Alekse'yev KM - better known as the 'Caspian Sea Monster'.....

km_08.jpg

It is HUGE - - which makes it difficult to photograph (at least that's my excuse) :rolleyes:

km_09.jpg

km_10.jpg

'Flying' over its sea base.....

km_12.jpg

km_13.jpg

km_14.jpg

.... and a bit of photo manipulation.....

km_11.jpg

Ken

• Like 14

That looks incredible! :D Superb paint finish. :goodjob:

Any chance of another photo with something recognisable in there to give it a sense of scale?

Thanks for the compliments.....

1:144 is not my usual scale - but all the existing Ekranoplan models are in that scale (Revell A-90, Anigrand Lun, KM & 14M1P) - so I had no choice.

I did this photo of all 4 (before the KM was properly finished).....

km_07.jpg

I have an old Revell 1:144 scale Tu-95 Bear - so I'm making that as a size reference - as soon as its done I'll re-do the above photo properly - and iron the sea!!

Ken

Those things are just spectacular. The sea monster looks fantastic.

I love ekranoplans. Great to see someone modelling them.

Edited by J.D.

Fascinating subjects, really well modelled.

Most interesting.

How many ekranoplanes got made?

Thanks

Adam

There were lots of smaller ones from the Alekseyev Design Bureau - testbeds for the bigger machines.

They were numbered SM-1 to SM-8.

Of the huge ones ......

1 X KM - confusingly it was re-numbered 01, 04, 07 & 08 - so a lot of writers think there were 8 made - but there was only one. It flew successfully for 15 years until it crashed, due to pilot error!

2 X Lun - a bit smaller than the KM - the first one had 6 X 'Moskit' anti-ship missiles for attacks again US CBG's. The second one was converted into a rescue ekranoplan called 'Spasatel' (Rescuer).

4 X A-90's - the more practical assault ekranoplan - a prototype (which crashed) and 3 production machines.

The Lun still survives - there is a great walkround here

The other Lun/Spasatel also survives inside a hangar at Nizhniy Novgorod - a Google search will find it.

One of the A-90's also survives - it was towed up the Volga and Moskva rivers - and is now on display on the riverbank in Moscow - where I took these photos....

day5_001.JPG

day03_029.jpg

day03_031.jpg

A model of Spasatel was on display at MAKS 2009....

day02_040.jpg

day02_041.jpg

.... as well as a 'commercial' A-90.....

day02_042.jpg

So, who knows........ if they can get the funding.......... :pray:

Ken

PS - Recommended reading is 'Soviet & Russian Ekranoplans' by Sergei Komissaov & Yefim Gordon - published by Midland Counties - or a smaller version - 'Russia's Ekranoplans' by Sergei Komissarov - Volume 8 in Midland's 'Red Star' series.

Edited by Flankerman