1/48 Chinook HC.2, Camp Bastion, Afghanistan

On the home straight now. Weathering is done, and boy did i have fun with this! I looked at about 25 pictures and watched some clips of the machines out at Bastion. One thing that struck me was that they are all weathered! Some however show much heavier wear, tear and fading, and that's what i wanted to replicate with this build. So out came the tamiya pigment and other pastels...an hour later....

IMG_1138.jpg

IMG_1130.jpg

IMG_1132.jpg

IMG_1133.jpg

IMG_1134.jpg

IMG_1135.jpg

IMG_1136.jpg

IMG_1137.jpg

IMG_1129.jpg

You can also see in a few photos that i've adjusted the position and shape of the wiper blades, the extensions being made from leftover bits of sprue. Still working on the rotor blades and literally all that needs to go on are the dustbin filters... (still praying that they will be out soon! :santa: )

What do you think of the weathering? The best footage i saw was on a programme called 'fighting on the frontline' http://www.channel4.com/programmes/fightin...ine/4od#3255540

The 'dust' sitting on the machine will blow off but i wanted to replicate the dust and sand as best i could.

More to follow.

Dave

Edited by DaveJL

A fantastic build! Having worked the IRT/MERT Merlins in both Basrah and Bastion, it's great to see this fantastic 'emergency service' get some modelling coverage!

Thanks very much. I wanted to make it as a tribute if nothing else. I'll hopefully do a Merlin in the same vain (in the hope Airfix release their 1/48th one soon!)

Dave

I blew off some of the loose pigment and it actually looks a lot more realistic now. I'll post some more pictures tomorrow or friday along with the rotors. Don't think there is much point in putting them on until the filters are out.

More to follow.

Dave

I've made up the base today, but this will remain secret until the build is RFI (When the filters are out, still hoping!!)

Apart from that, she's pretty much done. I'll get one or two photos up tomorrow of the machine, minus the rotors and filters (and the aforementioned base :whistle: )

I know i've been ranting on and on, but hopefully the Aviation Workshop will release the filters before Christmas.

More to follow.

Dave

A few pictures as promised of the nearly finished article! Filters and rotors are all that needs to go on, the former before the latter of course!

IMG_1144.jpg

IMG_1145.jpg

IMG_1148.jpg

IMG_1149.jpg

IMG_1150.jpg

Hopefully the filters will be out before christmas. Failing that, i'll attach the cone shaped pieces provided with the kit so at least i can enter before the group build deadline.

More to follow.

Dave

Edited by DaveJL

I like this build and the weathering a lot. Is the model brush painted or sprayed?

Thanks mate. The kit is 100% brush painted as i personally prefer it this way. Rarely does my airbrush get used! Perhaps not a proper modeller, but the results i get are pleasing enough for me!

Cheers

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Still waiting for you know what! Looking like i'll have to put the cone shaped filters on just so i can enter this before the GB deadline. Won't be 100% accurate which is a shame but nothing that can really be done!

Also found this video of the Chinooks in Afghanistan. An interesting watch! http://www.bfbs.com/news/afghanistan/chino...dust-53942.html

Cheers

Dave

....Perhaps not a proper modeller,

Cheers

Dave

of course you are - with a build like this very definately :worthy:

...and if it please you thats what counts

With Christmas coming up and still no sign of the dustbin filters, i've decided to go ahead and finish this anyway, just so i can enter it before the GB deadline. Flat out with work up until xmas so needs done today! I've built up, painted and weathered the rotor blades:

IMG_1222.jpg

And to give an idea of size:

IMG_1220.jpg

That's one blade beside my 1/48 MH-60. Nearly the same length!!

On to the cone shaped filters for the engines. The mesh was a pain in the backside to get in, took about an hour to get it attached. Revell do provide templates for the exact size, so it's no too difficult in that regard.

IMG_1223.jpg

The rotors are now on and drying as i type this. Keep your eyes peeled for this in the GB gallery and RFI thread either this evening or tomorrow afternoon.

More to follow,

Dave

Edited by DaveJL

Well i'm calling this temporarily finished! Wanted it done so i could enter it for the GB but as soon as the dustbin filters are out, i will get them on and all photos updated! The finished article is here:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.p...4909291&hl=

Really enjoyed this kit, and the group build itself. Hope i've done it some justice. Also want to publicly thank Jabba, Markmarples and Warris for providing me with both pictures and information. Cheers fellas.

Also want to thank those who have followed/commented over the past 2 months. Thanks all.

More and more wounded servicemen and women are surviving because of what the MERT do. I hope and pray that this trend continues. As for those who unfortunately could not be saved, God bless you and may you rest in peace.

This build is dedicated to all of them.

:poppy:

Dave

Edited by DaveJL

More and more wounded servicemen and women are surviving because of what the MERT do. I hope and pray that this trend continues. As for those who unfortunately could not be saved, God bless you and may you rest in peace.

This build is dedicated to all of them.

:poppy:

Dave

Seconded, Dave. Great build of the mighty Wokka as a tribute too.

I'm immensely proud of the work my son-in-law & his friends & colleaques do flying the things...

Keef

Seconded, Dave. Great build of the mighty Wokka as a tribute too.

I'm immensely proud of the work my son-in-law & his friends & colleaques do flying the things...

Keef

Thanks Keef. I wish your son-in-law and his colleagues all the best for what they do.

Cheers

Dave