Creating realistic grass

Fandango

Hi folks,

I normally build 1/48th scale aircraft, but like to present these in some form of diorama setting, sometimes in flight, sometimes on the ground (and once at the bottom of the channel!). I am also becoming quite drawn to the Tamiya 1/48th armour range and would definitely want to build these in a diorama setting.

The big problem I am having at the moment is getting grass that looks convincing. I have tried railway flock (too flat), static grass (too consistent for me) and have lately been experimenting with another railway technique of glueing dyed lint and peeling it off again (which showed promise, but half the time the lint peels the glue off the dio base). Would anyone be prepared to share their technique for getting ralistic looking grass please?

Cheers

Tom

Those grass mats (well at least the one I have!) tend to shed a lot of their blades of grass, so I scoop those up & keep them for future use - their a bit like static grass, but cheaper! I then put pva on a small area of my base at the time & sprinkle some of the grass bits on, then gently work them about with my finger - that looses the 'uniformity' you mention you get with static grass. Add some clumps of Woodland Scenics foliage for weeds (again planted into a small blob of pva) & when dry, work some earth coloured pastel or pigment in on some patches. This base took me less than an hour - & I think captures the look of a hard worked landing ground rather than a nice lawn! (I also find that if you use the grass mat 'out of the box', if you just rub some pastels into it it makes it look a lot less like astroturf!)

055-2.jpg

060.jpg

HTH

Keef

I use Noch and other brands a lot for my Model Railway!

You can also buy the grass in bags and use a static device to make the grass stand right up. Expensive as hell, but VERY effective.

There is a guy here that found a way to make one himself using the battery powered "tennis" Fly swatter!

I have bought 3 of those to make a static device for my MR.

The effect is amazing and looks VERY real!

..use a static device to make the grass stand right up. Expensive as hell, but VERY effective.

There is a guy here that found a way to make one himself using the battery powered "tennis" Fly swatter!

You can get 'cheap' ones on e-bay too, such as;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Applicator-Stati...=item58900e7263

I haven't yet seen the need for one for small bases for aircraft though....

Keef

To make static grass stand up,I use an inflated balloon.Rub it on jumper,create static and hold close to grass-hey presto up it pops!To create uneven grass,I usually sprinkle the 'flock' on first,then when dry add areas of pva and add static grass,seems to work ok.

Mike