1/48 Monogram F-4J

This group build gives me an excuse to pull my 1/48 Monogram F-4J out of the stash while my other in-progress projects are mired in "modeller-induced issues". I'm incorporating the "cheap and cheerful" Steel Beach F-4J Update (Link) and some Royal Resin parts.

Here's the obligatory boxart -

100211Boxart.jpg

Didn't anyone in the art department notice this stabilator problem in the boxtop photos?

100211Error.jpg

IMG_3626.jpg

Since this classic kit was based on their earlier F-4C/D release, Monogram mistakenly continued a few features of the USAF Phantom on the Navy/Marine version. I plugged the locator hole for the USAF rear control stick and added some styrene to extend the RIOs floor beyond just an open hole. The left photo is a dry-fit of the F-4J cockpit wall. The right photo shows the Steel Beach part that represents a computer (?) on the F-4J.

100211SteelBeachRearCockpit1.jpg100211SteelBeachRearCockpit2.jpg

I removed the pressure sensors on the tail (which I would inevitably knock off anyway) to simplify seamwork. I also enlarged the hole in the fuselage bottom to allow me to insert and properly align the cockpit afterwards.

100211Pitotsremoved.jpg100211Holeenlarged.jpg

Another carryover of the kit's F-4C/D parentage is the arrow shaped reinforcement on the stabilators. Navy/Marine Phantoms don't have this feature, but Monogram did see fit to include the slotted stabilator. I'll simply sand these reinforcements flush. ERROR - Please see update below.

100211StabilatorBefore.jpg

The Steel Beach update includes nice inserts for the empty afterburner cans (left is stock, right shows insert). These inserts will also fit the re-released Revell-Monogram F-4C/D, too.

100211SteelBeachBurnercans.jpg

The plan is to substitute the kit nose gear door with the larger Royale Resin item.

100211RoyaleResinGearDoor.jpg

If I ever reach the decal stage, I hope to mark the kit as an example from VMFA-232's 1974/75 WestPac Deployment. -> Ahoya's Contrail F-4 page

Edited by John B
  • Like 1

Of all the 1/48th Monogram / Revell F-4 kits this probably has the most 'Phantomness' factor :)...

...Michael

It certainly offers plenty of kit for the price! I searched my memory, I think I've built 3 or 4 of the 1/48 Monogram F-4Js in the past 3 decades. I learn something new every time I've built one. I can remember building one as Vandy 1 (about 20-25 years ago, no pics).

Another as a VF-151 F-4J (about 15-20 years ago) ...

jbibaymonogram48f-4j.jpg

and a third kitbashed with a Italeri RF-4C into a thick-wing RF-4B (12-15 years ago?)...

jbibaymonogram48rf-4b.jpg

Back to my current build...

Another legacy of the Monogram F-4C/D in the F-4J kit is the wings. The F-4J has bulges over the main gear attachement whereas the F-4C/D didn't.

101311WingPlate.jpg

The Steel Beach update includes "trunnion plates" (correct term?) over the main gear struts. Another C/D carry-over is the formation lights at the wingtips (indicated in red circle). These were sanded off.

101311SteelBeachWingMods.jpg

Monogram also left the USAF refuelling receptacle on the spine. Since the F-4J didn't has this feature, I sanded it off. Thanks to my fists of ham, I managed to obliterate all the raised detail on the spine as well. I tried restoring SOME of the lost panel lines with tape and Mr. Surfacer. It's the first time I've tried this technique, so I hope it looks okay once painted.

101311FuselageSurfacerSeams.jpg

Due to molding limitations, the frames of the Monogram ejection seats lack detail, but the seat belts are represented. (Conversely, the Hasegawa kit has no belts represented, but has frame details depicted.) I tranferred details from spare Hasegawa seat frames on to the otherwise bare Monogram seat frames.

101311SeatMods.jpg

I also tranferred the other seat handles from the Hasegawa seat frames to the Monogram cockpit after painting them yellow/black. The USAF-style cockpit was also modified to Navy/Marine-style cockpit by the addition of the dog-bone panel in the front cockpit, removal of the throttles in the rear cockpit, and drilling out the RIOs radar scope.

101311CockpitPainted.jpg

Some notes I learned about the RIO's instrument panel. I compared the Monogram part to the images of the RIO's panel in the DACO and Detail & Scale books. It didn't match those images, but both books acknowledge that the photos are of the F-4S. A little more research turned up these images from the F-4J NATOPS manual. >>>LINK<<< It appears that the Monogram RIO panel represents an earlier layout of the F-4J (which has the radar control stick that stows behind a flip panel). All of the aftermarket cockpit sets and Hasegawa F-4J seem to depict the late F-4J/ F-4S RIOs panel with the radar control in front of the radar display. The flip panel where the radar control used to be stowed was replaced with more avionic panels.

In my research, I also contacted an old F-4 RIO who flew in Navy F-4Js in the early 1970s and later became President of the F-4 Phantom Society. He said that some squadrons (please note - "SOME") fabricated detachable hoods for the radar scope in-house to reduce the glare and increase display visibilty. My guess is that Monogram could have based thier RIO panel on one of those examples. To reflect this, I drilled out the display tube to represent one of these scope hoods. PLEASE NOTE - This is my hypothesis. I never flew the F-4 nor have I found an image of an unmodified F-4J RIO panel from the 1970s. I could be dead wrong in my conclusions, so please don't take my conclusions as the be-all gospel. I would welcome any additional insight on the subject.

Edited by John B
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Steel Beach F-4J and F-4S Updates for the Monogram Phantom include the proper Navy-style IFR probe door. It was thoughtfully produced in gray vinyl so as to NOT contrast with the surrounding plastic. I applied it using a technique used by sign painters. 1) Peel the backing sheet from the vinyl. 2) Immerse the vinyl into a dish-soap/water solution. 3) Apply the vinyl to the plastic as though it a decal. The soap/water solution allows the vinyl to be properly positioned. 4) Once in the right position, squeeze out the water to allow the adhesive to bond to the surface.

102311IFRProbeDoor.jpg

The Steel Beach update includes refined airscoops which also fit the Monogram F-4C/D kits.

102311Scoops.jpg

Also included in the Steel Beach update are the 4 undersurface antennas for the ALQ-126 system. These antennas (installed on F-4Js from the mid-1970s onwards and all F-4Ss) were indicated by the antennas on the intake "shoulders". The undersurface antennas were next to the speedbrakes and at the wingroots. Since the plane I want to model didn't yet have the ALQ-126 system installed, I omitted the underwing antennas. *

102311Wingsbottom.jpg

The F-4J I'm modelling did have the earlier wing-root antennas, so I sanded the larger wingroot antenna to match the smaller one and installed them.

102311Nosebottom.jpg

I used quarter-round stock styrene to refine the leading edge of the ailerons and sheet styrene to cover the gap on the flaps.

102311Ailerons.jpg

I replaced the plastic pressure sensors on the tail with FineMolds brass items. I also removed the splitter plate/ variramps (what is the correct term?) to simplify seam-filling and painting. Last photo before painting begins.

102311OverallUnpainted.jpg

*EDIT - See update below.

Edited by John B
  • Like 1

I also removed the splitter plate/ variramps (what is the correct term?) to simplify seam-filling and painting.

The splitter plate is the forward half of that piece that you mention removing, the variramp is the rear, perforated half of the piece, on the real aircraft it opens at high speed to slow down and limit the amount of airflow allowed to enter the intake, out very simply.

By the way, I do the same thing on all Phantom kits I build, too, it certainly makes masking off the intake before painting the exterior of the aircraft much simpler.

I also happened to be the person that suggested to Darren at Steel Beach the idea of making those inlet scoop replacements. :) Your F-4 is coming along nicely!

STOP THE PRESSES!!! I GOOFED (again)!!! I just re-examined the photos I'm using as references. The antennas by the speedbrakes ARE there! They have different shapes than the ALQ-126 shapes, could they be the earlier ECM fit? (ALQ-50 or ALQ-100???)

Look at this photo -Red Devil 4

You can see the starboard underwing antenna just ahead of the flap! It's SMALLER than the antenna on the late F-4J and F-4S, but there is an antenna present.

Now look at this photo - Red Devil 13

You can see the other port underwing antenna next to the port main gear door. Also smaller, also present.

Here's the CCTV footage - Red Devils 5 & 9

You can see both underwing antennas!!! AARGH!!!

Curse my addled brain... :wall:

Edited by John B

Not much of an update, but I wanted to take pictures before I concealed the identity of the styrene and resin with subsequent paint.

I installed the ALQ-126 underwing antennas from the Steel Beach update and sanded them to match the size and shape of the photos I found.

103111UnderwingAntennas.jpg

The Monogram F-4J doesn't represent the sight glass of the gunsight and I couldn't find a clear image of the old gunsight installed in the coaming. I just put styrene on the cowl with "inspiration" from on-line images of the Duxford F-4J. I also added some wiring for the RIOs instrument panel to "represent" the wiring harnesses and some detail in an otherwise bare areas. My feeble skills prevent me from accurately duplicating the actual article, but I feel it looks better than leaving it as-is.

103111Cockpitwork.jpg

I should mention that Steel Beach also produced an extensive F-4S conversion. I've included 2 pictures (with permission) of the pre-release test-shot that provides a great comparison with my build. To the F-4J update, the Steel Beach F-4S conversion adds the wing modifications in the form of vinyl and resin.

SteelBeachF-4S2.jpg

103111Wingsbottom.jpg

SteelBeachF-4S1.jpg

103111OverallUnpaintedagain.jpg

I'm not certain if I can finish my Phantom before the build deadline, but I'll give it a try.

• Like 1

I'm not certain if I can finish my Phantom before the build deadline, but I'll give it a try.

Just take vacation from now until the end of the build. You've got plenty of time! Besides, you've done a fantastic job so far, everyone really wants to see this one finished!

Cheers,

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Another holdover from the kit's F-4C/D lineage was the USAF-style wheelhubs. Steel Beach offers Navy-style replacements as part of the F-4J updates and seperately. (I no longer own the 1/48 ESCI/Italeri F-4J, but I seem to remember it having the same feature.)

111011MonogramandSteelBeachWheels.jpg

One thing about the Monogram kit that has always bugged me is the frames on the windscreen. I used what I learned from my Corsair build and applied it here. I sanded off the old frames and adapted pre-cut masks to paint the frames in the correct position.

110511Windscreen.jpg

Compared to photos, the Monogram 'burner petals look too long.

MonogramJ-79wMonogram.jpg

(this photo from San Diego Air & Space Museum)

FromSanDiegoAirSpaceMuseumArchives.jpg

I'm substituting the Monogram parts with Cobra Company parts which look more correct in terms of length...

CobraCompanyinMonogramFuselage.jpg

... and offer more detail...

111011MonogramandCobraCompJ-79.jpg

...but are slightly smaller in diameter compared to the Monogram parts.

111011MonogramandCobraCompJ-79Rear.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Another carryover of the kit's F-4C/D parentage is the arrow shaped reinforcement on the stabilators. Navy/Marine Phantoms don't have this feature, but Monogram did see fit to include the slotted stabilator. I'll simply sand these reinforcements flush.

100211StabilatorBefore.jpg

Okay I goofed another thing up about Phantoms. I should've posted "MOST Navy/Marine Phantoms don't have this feature".

If you have the Blue Angels book that came with most recent Blue Angel release of the Monogram F-4J, you'll find the picture of an F-4J with the arrow shape.

rm_f-4j_bookt.jpg

It's on page 25 at the top of the page. It's F-4J BuNo 153086.

Another image is in the Bildband Pictorial USMC Phantoms book.

3a19fd37fc2797659776a335451434d414f4541.jpg

On page 31 bottom image. It's F-4J BuNo153771 and it also clearly shows the arrow shape.

Those 2 F-4Js are the only ones that I have found pics showing the arrow shape. I'm sure if I keep digging, I can probably find a few more.

I've had to squeeze spraying laquers on days when the air air isn't too cold that it does weird things to the laquer. I sprayed Alclad around the exhaust section, primed the remaining airframe with Tamiya Matt White spray laquer. I did this to even out the colors of the plastic, strip styrene, and resin as well seal the filler. It also allowed to use less gloss white and get better coverage when I painted the undersurfaces. Unfortunately, I didn't shoot any in-progress shots and all the masking is still on. So the only update picture is this boring image.

112011All-White.jpg

The deadline is looming and I don't think this Phantom will be completed in time. I'll post my updates until the last minute and then continue my updates in the "In-Progress" section.

• Like 1

The past week has been somewhat repetitive. 1- Paint gloss color. 2- Wait 2 days for paint to cure enough that tape doesn't mar it. 3- Mask areas to remain that color. 4- Repeat. :P To me, Model Master Acryl Gloss Gull Gray FS16440 looks too dark for scale effect. I added gloss white to lighten it to my taste. The red is MM Acryl Guards Red and MM Insignia red mixed 1:1.

Here's the status photo of this project on deadline day. A lot of areas remain masked and many parts are simply placed on the model for this photo.

112711Painted.jpg

I didn't finish in time. Try as I might, gloss paints can't be rushed to cure. Oh well. :(

Edited by John B
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...