Fine Molds 1/72 Millenium Falcon

Tinners

I have decided to throw my hat into this contest by building what is, by far the most expensive plastic in my stash: the Fine Molds Millenium Falcon.

With no more ado, here's a pic of it. :)

6227217857_83eeb72a7b_z.jpg

falcon_box by DaTinz, on Flickr

I am waiting on a couple of goodies for it and am currently finishing a 1/350 HMS Repulse, but rest assured this one is going to get built. If I get time, I may even enter a 1/350 Enterprise too. :D

Will be watching this one as I just picked the kit up at our local show for a steal (basically original retail price). Thought about doing it for this GB but want to trick it out some and put it in a dio of it in a landing bay with Han and Chewie doing some modifications to it.

He's a mad man! a mad man! :P

glad to see ya init buddy, looking forward to the build :)

Is anyone up for doing a 1:72 Death Star?

Any takers?

Oh, hold on

According to Wikipedia:

Various sources state the first Death Star has a diameter approximately 140 kilometers.

There is a broader range of figures for the second Death Star's diameter, ranging from 160 to 900 kilometers

That makes 1/72 model between 2km and 12.5km in diameter by my calulations.....

Edited by cjhm

Well, I have finally started with the Falcon build. I have cleared the mess away and gotten to work. I plan on spending at least an hour a night on this due to the insane number (and size) of parts.

It will be worth it though. Oh yes, it will be worth it...;)

With no further ado, I would like to welcome you to my workbench and personal realm of insanity. :)

6258505397_1e87ba3af1_z.jpg

DSC_0638 by DaTinz, on Flickr

6259035080_9a9e08476e_z.jpg

DSC_0643 by DaTinz, on Flickr

I can't believe that I used to consider 1/72 to be a 'normal' scale! It's tiny!

Despite the scale, the parts are immaculately cast and only need a light rub down to remove seams, etc.

6259033404_1388ac25ab_z.jpg

DSC_0642 by DaTinz, on Flickr

Sensor dish & my fat sausage fingers. :D

6259037058_c1e4416152_z.jpg

DSC_0648 by DaTinz, on Flickr

And two of the seven legs I need to build. Check out the tiny pistons!

Edited by Tinners

Woo! he started it!

the detail and moldings are so crisp, tho IIRC they lifted molds off of the studio model, so id expect them to be pretty good.

Made any decision re:lighting the thing?

i will say, personally ive never been a fan of the flacon when its down on her 'gear' just seems too...i dont know, pedestrian, think she's a far more handsome ship with the gear up, but thats a personal preference, and since i know what u have in mind having the gear down makes sense ;)

looking forward to seeing more :)

Till next time

:hobbyhorse:

Edited by AndyP

Nice start Tinners, its one I have in my stash so will be watching with interest.

Did you mention somewhere that you were going to put it in a hanger diorama, if so have you had a look at the Tirliance web site they have some nice 1/72 hanger stuff for SW vehicles.

www.triliance.de

Cheers,

Warren

I'm not sure about a hangar diorama, but I am actively planning a Bespin Landing Platform. I want it to 'float', so I am working with a fabricator at work to make me a metal armature that I can hang everything off.

I finally made some progress on the Falcon, but Forza Motorsport 4 grabbed me, so I didn't get as much done as I wanted. :lol:

The undercarriage legs are complete, so on to the upper hull!

That's looking pretty bare: we need to do something about it!

6274093789_7de7e1f600_z.jpg

DSC_0678 by DaTinz, on Flickr

*cut/sand/stick* First parts all attached.

6274619976_bba1ce2bed_z.jpg

DSC_0679 by DaTinz, on Flickr

6274114173_1059f68db4_z.jpg

DSC_0682 by DaTinz, on Flickr

The detailing in the holes in the mandibles is impressive, with piping that connects to the hull plating adding yet another layer of detail.

6274112547_94c5a9e7bd_z.jpg

DSC_0681 by DaTinz, on Flickr

The parts are held together with screws: obviously Fine Molds was worried about parts becoming detached and falling into the hull.

6274646054_b90c5cb0de_z.jpg

DSC_0680 by DaTinz, on Flickr

And this is what comes next: even more holes! :P

6274091433_4799043968_z.jpg

DSC_0683 by DaTinz, on Flickr

Wow, how can you bear to build it - expensive kits always become shelf units when I have them.

It's easy: it is just plastic.

Models need to be built: that is their purpose. If you don't build it, then you just bought a really expensive box. The joy is in the building, and that is what I buy, not a box of bits that I am terrified of putting together because it was expensive.

Go on: get one of your expensive models out of your stash and build it.

You know you want to.

• Like 1

Models need to be built: that is their purpose. If you don't build it, then you just bought a really expensive box. The joy is in the building, and that is what I buy, not a box of bits that I am terrified of putting together because it was expensive.

You know you want to.

Here here, couldn't agree more

Keep up the good work

Looking good buddy, ill pop over this week and take a proper look, would it not be an idea to paint the inserts before you secure them in place tho? cos then they can just be masked off, i have a loada maskol ill bring with me and some LED's so u can check em out

Ill echo Tinners point about just built it with a quote the the most high Monty of Python

Camalot!

Camalot!

Camalot!

sshhhh

;)

You know you want to.

Well I have thinned the stash from over 300 in the last year to under 40 - and kept only the very best. So your advice will be taken.

Thanks.

Having just seen this in person today all i can say is

woah!

the great thing is u can see all the bits of other kits which were used to kitbash the original are there and shrunk down really small, you can make out bits of tanks and engine blocks and gearboxes all over, tis really cool

Well Done that man. You are spot on about the detail and moldings being crisp. Bizarrely its not as big as I thought it would be though.

The 1/72 Chewie, han and stormtroopers are dying out to be recast for a personal dio.

• 3 weeks later...

After a bit of a hiatus, I'm getting back to the Falcon.

It's been a learing experience this weekend as I have had to make the lighting kit, well, light.

There are a few problems that I have had to overcome, namely, I didn't know how to solder stuff.

I also realised that I really hadn't paid attention during Design Technology at school and the stuff I ignored whilst chatting up Lindsey Braithwaite in class may have actually had some sort of relevance to this electronic magic thing.

Well, after a lot of swearing, cut and burned fingers and a couple of blown LED's, I am now competent in the mysterious art of soldering. I also learned to read circuit diagrams. This is really important if you don't want to wire up the whole thing wrong. I only found this out when I had put the whole thing together and then had to unsolder all the connections and start again.

Anyway...

It turned out good in the end.

This was attempt number 2. I know it is embarrasingly basic, but at this point I really don't care.

6373034179_a31fa47ef5_z.jpg

falcon1 by DaTinz, on Flickr

Did it work? lets give it some juice.

6373030179_d3f6505dc6_z.jpg

falcon2 by DaTinz, on Flickr

Yep. All glowy. TIme to button it all up. And stick all the nurnies on the sides.

6373024287_fbdff43074_z.jpg

falcon3 by DaTinz, on Flickr

Next job is to get the cockpit and guns finished so I can paint it up and I can start work on the floaty landing platform.

Edited by Tinners

So guess whos just been volunteered to do the soldering for my Enterprise-D :D:P