Phantom fuel tank

SaintsPhil

AFAIK all Phantom belly tanks are 600 gallons. There was the original F-4 unique style used by everybody who ever flew F-4s, and then there was the later USAF F-15 style tank used from the late 1980s onward. The F-15 style tank had a parallel cylindrical shape in the middle, with symmetrical pointed ends and a fairly beefy "fin" on top at the aft end. The original F-4 style was a continuous curve from nose to tail. Pretty easy to tell the difference... I don't think the USN/USMC or RAF ever used the F-15 tanks.

J

Edited by Jennings Heilig

Hi Phil,

If you have a 1/48 F-4F, you can use parts E8 and E9 for a F-4J(UK) (don't forget the little stabiliser fins E14/15). For a 1/72 Phantom, use parts P17, P18 and Q31/Q32 (for the fins). As Jennings says, the F-15 or HPC, style was not used on RAF or Naval Phantoms.

HTH,

Jonathan

To be pedantic, the F-15 style tanks are 610 gal. I have been through all my F-4J(UK) pics, and they seem to show either a 600 Gal centrline tank only, or Fletcher tanks under the wing, or no tanks of course.

If anyone has any operational pics of a 3 tank configuration on an F-4J(UK) I would be interested to see it.

They also carried the Gun pod on APC visits, but the fit seemed very rare back home.

Shaun.

The gun was a relatively rare fit on UK squadrons because it wasn't a NATO declared weapon system for the UK Air Defence Region (the extra tank was more use especially for long range QRA missions), whereas it was in 2 ATAF for the 2 RAFG Sqns (19 & 92). That's why they carried it as a normal training fit. However we trained all crews to ACE Forces Standards which required annual qualification in air-to-air gunnery hence we all got to go to Cyprus for an APC.

As I recall 74 discovered there was little benefit in 3-tank fit on the J model as they could cruise much higher with the J79 compared to the Spey on FG1/FGR2s and they didn't have that much time on Southern QRA duties with the J. The US centreline tank was also a hard tank (6g) whereas the UK ones were ferry tanks (4g empty, 2.5g with fuel in), which is why they did a lot in Bravo fit, clean wing plus centreline tank only.

The gun was a relatively rare fit on UK squadrons because it wasn't a NATO declared weapon system for the UK Air Defence Region (the extra tank was more use especially for long range QRA missions), whereas it was in 2 ATAF for the 2 RAFG Sqns (19 & 92). That's why they carried it as a normal training fit. However we trained all crews to ACE Forces Standards which required annual qualification in air-to-air gunnery hence we all got to go to Cyprus for an APC.

As I recall 74 discovered there was little benefit in 3-tank fit on the J model as they could cruise much higher with the J79 compared to the Spey on FG1/FGR2s and they didn't have that much time on Southern QRA duties with the J. The US centreline tank was also a hard tank (6g) whereas the UK ones were ferry tanks (4g empty, 2.5g with fuel in), which is why they did a lot in Bravo fit, clean wing plus centreline tank only.

Thanks for the extra info, where you on 74 Sqn?

Shaun.