Phantom seats

Shaun

Are there any real modelling difference between the US and UK Phantom seats?

I presume its just the type of Harness, but in 1/48th would it be that easy to notice.

Shaun.

They were all MB mk7's weren't they? I wouldn't think there would be any structural differences, maybe the colour of the packs and harnesses might vary if user specific, as always check your references.

As Duncan says, there are a couple of minor variations depending on which operator (country).

One thing to note is the colour of the harness straps differs between users.

Here's a link (you may already know it) that shows an RAF Mk.7a seat (with links to varying views), and also links to comparable seats for USAF, USN and Luftwaffe variants.

http://www.ejectionsite.com/frame_sg.htm

For the seats in my recently completed kit, I used my own reference photo's from the Hendon Phantom for colours etc.

Edited by pte1643

The other thing to consider is the period you a modelling if it is an RAF Phantom. We changed from the "torso harness" which is the US system to the typical UK "simplified combined harness" in 1980 which is the way the UK seats are now shown. So if you are modelling something pre 1980 the seat straps would look like the US ones.

Hope that helps!

Unless its an F-4J(UK) in that case I think they used USN equipment nearly up until the time they were scrapped.

Pretty sure they did not have standard UK seats for very long.

Julien

Unless its an F-4J(UK) in that case I think they used USN equipment nearly up until the time they were scrapped.

Pretty sure they did not have standard UK seats for very long.

Julien

Good point, I can't remember how long they kept the USN kit but they did change as the small numbers were hard to support and that USN flying equipment - helmets, life preservers, dinghies etc weren't to the same standard as UK kit although many of the guys liked it. There was also much banter about 74 Sqn chaps "posing" in their USN kit...

Geoff

• 2 months later...