Fujimi 1/72 FG1

Well I have to confess to nearly forgetting signing up for this GB until a short while ago. However, once reminded I had to reconsider my choice as I fancied doing something a little different, but now that I'm down to only a month and a bit to go, I need something simple. So after a quick ferret through the stash, I've settled on this particular kit. We all know how good these are, so I'll just say that I'm looking forward to my first ever Phantom build now.

In order to save time, it'll be straight out of the box. Except I'll be finishing it in a different scheme, but I'm keeping that under my hat until the last possible minute. I'm not even going to tell you who the decals are from!

The box/sprue shots,

PA090064.jpg

PA090065.jpg

Despite them appearing in the pics, I won't be using the Aeroclub seats as I'll be using them on a different Phantom build.

Tonight I'll make a start on the cockpit ready for the airbrush tomorrow.

Mark.

Nice one Mark!

Sorry I stole your FGR2 scheme! I'm sure whatever scheme you go for on this one it'll be good!

Phil

You will be! :fight:

All I'm gonna say is that the scheme will be pretty darned good, just hope I can pull it off in time!

Mark.

Morning Phantom Phans!

Not a huge amount to report, but got this underway last night. Built up the seats, the wings and the tanks and started hacking up the rear cockpit tub. Such a shame the nicely moulded side panels are just plain inaccurate for the rear seater!

PA120038.jpg

PA120034.jpg

PA120039.jpg

That's all for now,

Mark.

• 1 month later...

Evening Phantom Phans!

Since I've been off work this week, I managed to get a decent amount of time to catch up on some of my stalled builds, including this one. Despite this, it'll be touch and go if it is completed by this time next week, but if it isn't it'll not be far off being completed.

The biggest job so far was to correct the rear cockpit, so out came the plasticard, the files and a sharp scalpel. The inaccurate side consoles have been removed and the tub is now ready.

PB140064.jpg

First up, plug the holes in the rear bulkhead.

PB150070.jpg

Then widen the floor with a couple of strips of plasticard.

PB160093.jpg

Now cut out some replacement side walls.

PB160094.jpg

PB160096.jpg

Glue them in place and mount the kit supplied inserts on them. On future builds, I'll be refining these corrections, but for now I'm happy with what I've got. Especially as I'll be finishing this one with closed canopies.

PB200106.jpg

PB200105.jpg

A couple of views showing the completed tubs.

PB200109.jpg

And a phinal view of a week's progress, and I have something looking like a Phantom. Will be spending the next few days filling and sanding and getting ready for the paint.

Mark.