1/350 Tamiya Yamato

Rosco

If I can get even half of what I paid for my Lion Roar set, KA decks, and Ishida update sets, I will be standing first in line to buy the new kit. It might not be that much better in the end, but I love the feel of the new Tamiya kits.

So, apart from the additional etched frets, what have they changed? Is it worth getting rid of my old version with it's additional Lionroar set and KA deck?

I wish you hadn't said that Denstore, as it means I'll have to get one now. :doh:

I have already sold my own Yamato lot, and ordered the new kit. :)

I've heard that misery is better shared, so I can tell you that it was a bit hard to get more than 50% of what I paid for the stuff. Roughly £125 down the drain....

And then there's been more new kits this year than I have ever experienced. Warspite, Yamashiro, Dreadnought, Hikawa Maru, and now Yamato. I will have to live on air and stale bread until next summer....:)

I have already sold my own Yamato lot, and ordered the new kit. :)

I've heard that misery is better shared, so I can tell you that it was a bit hard to get more than 50% of what I paid for the stuff. Roughly £125 down the drain....

And then there's been more new kits this year than I have ever experienced. Warspite, Yamashiro, Dreadnought, Hikawa Maru, and now Yamato. I will have to live on air and stale bread until next summer....:)

Fair enough. I'm worried about the Yamashiro, but have pre-ordered the Hiryu.

So, apart from the additional etched frets, what have they changed? Is it worth getting rid of my old version with it's additional Lionroar set and KA deck?

Changes that I can see:

waterline option

turret barbette, gun director slightly reshaped

blast bags are different

hull plating

tower on rear crane -is gone

I'm sure there are more... but from the pics those are what I could see.

Up to you if the changes justify selling your old kit ... and the additional $250 expense for the new one. ;)

While it says it is all new tooled, Tamiya said the same thing about their M1 Super Sherman that came out a couple of months ago. While it had new parts, it shared alot of parts with some of their older Shermans, and I suspect that this new Yamato kit is the same, in that it shares parts from the old kit.

Changes that I can see:

waterline option

turret barbette, gun director slightly reshaped

blast bags are different

hull plating

tower on rear crane -is gone

I'm sure there are more... but from the pics those are what I could see.

Up to you if the changes justify selling your old kit ... and the additional $250 expense for the new one. ;)

While it says it is all new tooled, Tamiya said the same thing about their M1 Super Sherman that came out a couple of months ago. While it had new parts, it shared alot of parts with some of their older Shermans, and I suspect that this new Yamato kit is the same, in that it shares parts from the old kit.

Sorry $250 :gobsmacked: It'd have to be a missively different model to make it worth that. Will be sticking with what I have.

Each to his own, but just from looking at the pictures, and comparing to the old kit, I can see that it is worth it to me. Can't find a single part that is from the old kit. And even the price is decent. Tamiya asks 23000 yen for it, which is about the same as Hasegawa or Fujimi asks for smaller kits, that definitly will be less of a pleasure to build. The old kit isn't that bad, but there are a lot of hard to correct things. The bow needs to be thinned down, and a lot of AA need to be repositioned. And there are a few hard to correct errors with the angles of the main superstructure that is supposed to be corrected on the new kit. All in all, I can't find an parts from the old kit on the new one, and even if there is a couple hiding underneath, the pictures alone shows how much work that has been put into the kit to make it the best. I didn't even hesitate before ordering it. I went with the package deal offered by HLJ, and got the kit with auxiliary boats, etch railings and turned barrels and 18" ammo at the preorder price of 19110yen. That is about 5000 less than I paid for the Akagi without any etch or other extras.

Edited by denstore

Yes it does look very nice, but, unless you're going to cut away parts of such an expensive ship, what's the point of having interior detail? Still, as you say, each to their own.