Airfix 1/24 Mosquito

andrewfl290

It must be a couple of years now since Airfix released their superb 1/24 Mosquito Fighter Bomber, I had hoped that in due course there would be a Bomber version......but nothing yet.

We have had first class upgrades from the now defunct Paragon and conversions from Alley Cat, notably the Tse Tse Mosquito......but still no Bomber.

I suppose the aftermarket did not pursue the Bomber because of an expectation that Airfix would follow up the Fighter Bomber with a Bomber......but nothing.

Will Airfix or will the aftermarket come to the rescue. To my mind an aftermarket solution would be best, mix and match to be able to build a Bomber or PRU variant. 2 stage engine nacelles, bulged bomb bay, glazed nose and bomber cockpit and canopy would be a start.

Any Takers?

Andrew

There have been assurances of a bomber version, which is, almost certainly, why no resin company has made any efforts in that direction. Also, at the end of last year, Hornby said that they were having to make yet another production run, and, only two weeks ago, a model shop owner said that he's still selling the original kit, and has had to order more. I can't see Hornby pushing the bomber version out, while there are still sales to be made, with the F.B. version.

Edgar

Under present economic conditions will Airfix want to dilute sales of the FB by introducing the bomber or do they consider the market incapable of supporting both? It wouldn't take much effort, or would it? I guess the reverse comparison is the Paragon conversion of the Revell bomber version to a larger scale.

Put it this way I would buy an Airfix bomber variant now. Alternatively I would buy another Airfix FB and an aftermarket conversion now...... Seems like win win for Airfix.

Anyone else want one or am I all alone?

Andrew

It rather depends on how good you are at moulding canopies; the F.B. has a flat-fronted screen, while the bomber version is V-shaped, and you'll need a see-through bomb-aimer's cupola on the tip of the nose.

Edgar.

It is not impossible but it would be very time consuming, spare time is not something I have a lot of. It would also require skills that I don't have, granted I could learn but then it's back to the time thing again.

Basic differences to my knowledge are, canopy, nose glazing, cockpit, bomb bay and under nose area. Then there are two stage nacelles and bulged bomb bay depending on variant.

Andrew

Not forgetting the crew enterance for the bomber version was on the underside of the aircraft and not on the starboard side, as on the fighter. Also, the small glazed panels on both sides of the nose as well.

Chris

• 8 months later...

In addition to the canopy, the door positions varied between types.

The FB, and many NF types had the entry door on the starboard side, the bomber, and some NF had the door underneath

Edited by Robert Stuart

• 6 years later...