1/48 Fonderie Miniatures Halifax B MKIII

Chris, this is one if not the best build I have seen. I fully understand the trials and tribulations you have gone / going through as I did their Hampden. You will have such a sense of achievement when you finish thet you will not be able to quantify it. Nothing will come close to it again in modelling terms. :worthy:

As the end is in sight now is not the time to rush to the finish, just keep a nice steady pace. :thumbsup:

Well done mate :cheers:

ps. Does your firm ever send you to Manston (sorry ....Kent International) ?

Thank you very much everybody! It really means a lot to me and I'm really glad that everybody is enjoying this build so much!

Jenko - thank you very much for your incredibly kind comments, it's really nice of you to say so!! I really greatly appreciate it. I look forward to taking this build to some shows into next year.

So... Perdu... I bet you want to know if you can come out from under the desk yet... :)

So, having moved the nose art, I've touched up little bits with my old fashioned hairy stick and made the edges of the noseart less lumpy. I've also sprayed the remaining white areas off the noseart area too... So here we go:

DSC01537.jpg

DSC01539.jpg

I'll still do a little bit more touching up too.

I've also had a moderate decalling disaster too involving the wing roundels. But Xtradecal have come to the rescue - the Fonderie Miniatures Decals proved to actually be totally useless and fell into a thousand pieces even before they found the wing. So I've ordered a new supply from Hannants and hopefully they will be with me before too long.

I think I may say a small Yahoo

Yes that Bambi logo needs to be nearer the round window

But I am quite chuffed with that

Shall I send the white decal sheet back then? :) :)

Then a big congratulations to you Chris

This baby looks better each time you share a bit more, you have made this one really well considering the huge problems en route

I am looking forwards to meeting Bambi soon

:)

Well done so far Chris- it's nice to see another "beast" being built. :worthy:

I did mine in about 6 months- almost OOB & nowhere near this standard, but, using Jaques Niot's guide, I was happy with my result.

My model (is) on display at Doncaster Aeroventure & depicts NA581- KW-U, a 425 Sqn Halifax which crashed near Hodsock priory,Blyth, Notts. For those interested a memorial to the crew is on the village green- about 1 mile from the A1.

Regards Rad.

• 2 weeks later...

An urgent plea tonight everybody.

I've now just made my way through the Xtradecals RAF Bomber Command letters - and I'm onto my third bloody sheet.

Everytime that the decals hit the water, they are falling apart. And I'm having to order a replacement one from Hannants. And I just can't afford it anymore now...

So does anybody have a spare set of the Xtradecal 1/48 RAF Bomber Command letters with two "B"s that they would be willing to let me have? I wouldn't normally ask, but I really can't afford it anymore at all and I'm at the end of my tether with it to be honest.

Many thanks

Chris

That's the ultimate last resort at the moment Don, I could do it - but with the rest of the lettering on, I'd have to be incredibly sure of my colour match and sizing. It's a pig of a situation - everytime they touch the water, they just fall apart. I don't know if anyone else has encountered the same too?

I've now just made my way through the Xtradecals RAF Bomber Command letters - and I'm onto my third bloody sheet.

Everytime that the decals hit the water, they are falling apart. And I'm having to order a replacement one from Hannants. And I just can't afford it anymore now...

So does anybody have a spare set of the Xtradecal 1/48 RAF Bomber Command letters with two "B"s that they would be willing to let me have? I wouldn't normally ask, but I really can't afford it anymore at all and I'm at the end of my tether with it to be honest.

Chris

first, complain to Hannants, decals shouldn't just disintegrate. IIRC they make/market Xtradecals, and if so, they may be a defective batch[sounds like it]. If so return the sheets, or one, for replacement/refund.

second, have you tried liquid decal film on these ?

HTH

T

I haven't tried the liquid decal film as I don't actually have any of it either. But it would make for a good future purchase...

I'll be dropping Hannants an email - but I'm wondering if it is just me though? I mean, I've been following the instructions rigidly right down to the final step and it's still not working on the "B" letters - everything else has worked... just the letters! Very very annoying though.

Chris

first, complain to Hannants, decals shouldn't just disintegrate. IIRC they make/market Xtradecals, and if so, they may be a defective batch[sounds like it]. If so return the sheets, or one, for replacement/refund.

second, have you tried liquid decal film on these ?

HTH

T

What a(nother)sod Chris

I'd echo Troy's advice use an extra layer of film over the decals and shout ever so loud at Hannants.

A couple of coats misted over from an aerosol varnish rather like we put on the nose art would help keep it all together but if you have to resort to making your own it isn't too difficult to cover the good ones that worked with a coat of matching paint to make it all fit together.

When I printed off the bambi decal I coated it with a couple of coats of Microscale Liquid Decal film to bind it to the sheet just to stop what has happened to your Extradecs. but you ought to be able to trust the printers of mainstream after market gear from the off

what a bugg*r! :(

Yep, it is a great bugger - just as I was starting to make excellent progress with it too!! Either way, the funds have run out now - and I've got a very expensive few days coming up so I can't see this going anywhere other than the shelf of doom for the timebeing - I've got an MOT, Car service and a lot of annual subscriptions to pay in the next month, so there's nothing much I can do right now. Apart from shouting blindly at Hannants of course!!!

Chris

I may be able to help. I believe i have some generic RAF letters on some decal sheets ready for review. let me go double check.

Even if you don't, very many thanks for looking!

Right then bud i have: all in 1/48

RAF 8" Serial Numbers and Letters

RAF 12"Letters and Numbers

RAF 15" Letters and Numbers

RAF 16" Letters and Numbers

RAF 18" Letters and Numbers

RAF 21" Letters and Numbers

RAF 24" Letters and Numbers

RAF 27" Letters and Numbers

RAF 30" Letters and Numbers

What size do you need?

This is the current set that I have at the moment:

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X48048

They seem to measure in at 48" by 30" according to the website. Which one inspection would suggest that the sheets you've got might be a bit too small. However, I equally suspect that I'm going to have to pay a visit back to my sources and see what I can find again - just in case I'm getting it totally wrong and have been since the outset now!

Very many thanks for looking. I'll be back in a minute or two...

I do have this sheet of white decal paper

if you email the dims to me we might just be able to get that show on the road if Moofles sets cant help you

Ideal world scenario- make all three for each side in the same red. Presumably dark almost rusty red like the colours on an old Almarks set I have around somewhere (1/72 for fighter size aircraft unfortunately, but with probably the right character faces)

edit on the hoof, no sign of the Almarks sheet but I do have a set of Airfix Wellington marks from a 60's kit which I can scale to get a type face to work with it has KWE on it, what does you Hallibag have?

Give Hannants a day or so to sort you out, their response speed has been phenomenal for me, just look how quickly they came through with the white dec film...

Right... So what can be deduced from this photo:

LW170_crew_1944.jpg

I think my original selection might be too large - I don't have my camera with me for a size comparison at the moment though, but the decals I've used seem to be a lot wider. Interesting...

And I've also just found a high-def picture of the Bambi noseart too now! Typical - when you're looking for it, you'll never mind it!

QB-B%20Bambi..jpg

Many thanks for looking Moofles - not a problem at all. I think my luck might be out a bit on this one.

I'm half tempted to use microsol and remove all the squadron code decals that have set on there so far and try again with it - the letters I have used, in my honest opinion, are too large and I'm short of options to make them smaller.

Now if only I could get my hands on two of these:

http://www.hyperscale.com/2009/reviews/dec...4reviewme_1.htm

Then I would be incredibly happy! That's clearly a much better size than the ones I've used in the first place...

hey thats a nice Bambi :)

but I ain't a'making any plans (yet) dude

But now I have two sources of useful info...

The Hannants advert it has a picture on it of the fonts in use, so do I now :)

And the photo of Bambi's crew which on examining the codes on her side look to be about right for the Hannants sheet lettering. You need to allow for the perspective effect, if it were my model I would go ahead with what they supply in sizes.

Shall I have a little go at getting a couple of Bs knocked out to suit the colour on the advert?

So bearing in mind that your colour resolution and mine may differ how close to your surviving letters is the colour you see "on screen"?