1/48 - corrected E.E. Lightning intake ring by DMold

Homebee

Was the original Airfix intake ring wrong? :hmmm:

Yes. When you look at the nose in profile there should be a continuous straight line on top where the nose transitions into the intake ring. Instead the ring flares out resulting in a slight kink. It doesn't fit very well either leaving steps in some areas. The only way to fix it is to fill and sand which is not something you really want to do on a kit with such nice panel lines.

The cannon ports are much better, given that the kit representations are nothing more than shallow indents. Drilling a hole in the end of the kit parts doesn't really cut it as you need to create proper troughs.

It's all quite welcome, not something I thought anyone would ever bother to correct.

Im actually building this kit right now and tackled the area behind the ring on Monday. I found it needed a bit of filler so I went round the whole thing and eliminated the step. I also opened up the top and bottom gun slots by drilling part way perpendicular to the surface to get a grip then drilled along the line of the gun letting the drill start the trough. I then tidied it up with a fine rat tail file. Piece of cake.

I agree Airfix should have made a better job of these though.

The hardest part I found is getting the nose wheel bay aligned since the portion attached to the radar is narrower than the part attached to the fuselage. If I build another I'll widen the rear of the bullet fairing.

Thanks for posting VP

Colin W

Edited by Colin W

• 1 month later...
Any news on this item, it's out of stock on the website?

Shaun.

There are only two things in stock; 1/48 A-6E/EA-6B profiled intakes (for MMI kits) and 1/48 F7F-3N forward fuselage (AMT, Italeri)

Is there another supplier?

• 3 months later...
Hi Shaun, I've got one and its rather nice, not compared it/tried it against the kit though but certainly looks nice. Shame you don't get the gun plugs with it

Thats a bit of a swizz then. Looking at the pics it would suggest that you get this in the package.

Saying that Bill Clerk showed how to get excellent Gun plugs with a little bit of modelling skill in his article in this months Airfix Model World.

Julien

• 3 years later...