JW's War of the Worlds Tripod

Madmonk

My first build will be a resin & white metal Tripod, based on the sketches produced for Jeff Waynes musical version of WotW.

Kit parts shot.

IMG_1083.jpg

The parts are fairly crudely cast and need some clean up, the white metal is quite poruos and soft.

IMG_1084.jpg

The main body is resin and I have already stuck the two halves together, should have taken a photo before I got to this stage.

IMG_1085.jpg

plenty of cleaning up to do and a fair amount of sanding too!

The model is about 1/125 scale based on the original machines being about 27m tall.

I have had the kit for a few years now and it is not in its original box and the instructions have gone AWOL, what do you guys think about the colour, I have seen them completed in both white and silver.

Having listened to the album again this morning it referes to them as metal fighting machines, think I will opt to go metal and use some Alclad on it.

Hopefully this will be the prelude to a scratch built big brother.

Cheers,

Warren

what do you guys think about the colour, I have seen them completed in both white and silver.

I've always associated the album cover showing them as White, but having dug out the CD and had a gander, they could well be a "highlighted" Silver/Metallic.

Pte643, that was my initial thoughts but having having looked round the interweb I think bare metal is my choice.

Edited by Madmonk

I went to The War of the Worlds at the NIA last year and the 30ft fighting machine on stage was a bare metal finish, sort of a lighter shade of gunmetal if thats any help to you.

Mick

Edited by smyfe

you should see if they do a 1/600 or 1/1200 IJN Mikasa kit and do it up as Thunderchild :D

looking forward to seeing how this comes out :), might go put the album on now actually ;)

Smyfe, went to see it at Sheffield, fantastic show. With all the lighting wasn't sure what colour it was buy metal feels right.

AndyP, have had a quick search but they seem to be going for around £60 so will give that a miss, may build it into a diorama though.

Mark, book me in, will have to think of which kit to build for the 1 day GB!!

Edited by Madmonk

Yeah, what a brilliant night out, i found one small pic on the web where there isn't much of the fantastic lightshow on it

War_of_the_Worlds.jpg

This is not my photo, as i cannot find mine :angry:

Keep up the good work :popcorn: :popcorn:

Mick

you could pick up one of these for about £6

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=57649

a much later ship than the victorian era, but if you paint her up right no-one will know, and will really add a sense of scale to the Tripods, i used a KGV CG model in that picture i posted back in the pre-build chat :)

Not a hugh amout of progress but noe got the main body primed, filled, rubbed down, primed, rubbed down, filled, rubbed down, primed and ready for a final kight rub down.

IMG_3443.jpg

IMG_3442.jpg

The legs are the next task, they are in two parts so I may try and attempt to solder the joint rather than glue it, may give a stronger joint and I should be able to get an invisible joint with it.

Cheers,

Warren

Started to clean up the legs and just had to try one for size.

IMG_3445.jpg

Obviously not completely as it will finally be, should be able to get rid of the blue masking tape!

• Like 1

Well I found my soldering iron on Saturday but no solder, found that yesterday so managed to solder the two sections of the legs together.

If the Martians had laneded in Doncaster and needed a solderer guess they wouldn't have come to me!!!

IMG_0008.jpg

Now where are those files!

If the Martians had laneded in Doncaster and needed a solderer guess they wouldn't have come to me!!!

Well... the chances that they'll come are a million to one anyway so you're pretty safe

:P

I managed to get hold of one of these Comet kits recently, but mine seems quite a bit different to yours.

Instead of the white metal cast legs that yours has, my kit has a load of different diameter tubing and rod to make up the legs.

Should make it an interesting build. :wacko:

Smiffy,

That's interesting, the tubing might make for a better build as the cast ones are not ideal. How are the "knuckles" done, are they resin, white metal or flat sheet.

Still working on reducing the excess solder on mine.

I managed to get hold of one of these Comet kits recently, but mine seems quite a bit different to yours.

Instead of the white metal cast legs that yours has, my kit has a load of different diameter tubing and rod to make up the legs.

Should make it an interesting build. :wacko:

That sounds like the original release like I had about 20 years ago. Is the body in clear 'dental' type resin?

THC