Fine Molds 1/72 Star Wars X-Wing

cjhm

Also have one of these that may get done during the GB.

Printed a copy of the instructions in english so that helps.

What scheme are you planning? I want to do at least 3, Luke's Red 5, Wedge's Red 2 and Coran Horn's version (from the books).

Also have one of these that may get done during the GB.

Printed a copy of the instructions in english so that helps.

What scheme are you planning? I want to do at least 3, Luke's Red 5, Wedge's Red 2 and Coran Horn's version (from the books).

Funnily enough I was just about to post an update about the instuctions, sat down over the weekend to study these and work out colours etc then realised everything was in Japanese ....

Luckily a quick google found a Hobby Link Japan link with the translated version, think I will be going for Wedge (definitley one with an R2 in the back) . I'm not generally one for multiple builds (too little time, so many kits ....) , I do want to do a Snowspeeder though if this one works out OK

I must say the moldings look superb and the translated instuctions show a great deal of thought has gone into this kit

Need to finish my Airfix Vulcan first but hope to be starting soon

Edited by cjhm

Started work this evening, stuck some bits together (well to use a cliché they just fell together with a quick dab of poly weld to secure)

Plastic seems quite hard\brittle compared to other manufacturers mouldings, an observation rather than a criticism

xw1510.jpg

Started work this evening, stuck some bits together (well to use a cliché they just fell together with a quick dab of poly weld to secure)

Plastic seems quite hard\brittle compared to other manufacturers mouldings, an observation rather than a criticism

Good looking start. The plastic for the Y-Wing did seem a bit hard/brittle to me too but in fact was well up to being removed from the sprues and being worked - even the smaller parts

Good looking start. The plastic for the Y-Wing did seem a bit hard/brittle to me too but in fact was well up to being removed from the sprues and being worked - even the smaller parts

Done a good stint today and I think this plastic is super now I'm used to it, as its harder it seems easier to clean up consistently and its forgiving of too much poly weld, just 'wicking' it off with glue brush does not leave a gooey mess like the more regular 'styrene

Will post some more pics asap, just finished building the wings

Coming along

Most parts together, wing assembly complete. Fuselage mocked up to wings to show progress, need to finish interior before its joined up for real

Build continues to be stress free (famous last words ....) due to the high quality of mouldings

xw2310.jpg

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the delay, been busy with Vulcan (now finished) and non-modelling stuff

I had glued main fuselage together with cockpit tub inside, now I'm back on track weather is too rubbish for spraying so have started to brush paint Lifecolor FS36622 Light Gull Grey as a base. I've used drops of Windsor & Newton flow improver to make the paint flow better and its going well so far, no brush marks.

xw3.jpg

Edited by cjhm

• 2 weeks later...

Main parts now have a good coat of grey, glossing up now with Quickshine ready for Decals

Have also experimented with some MIG Cold Grey Wash on the fuselage panel lines and used Citadel Boltgun Metal and Badab Black wash to darken the engine areas

Found some great reference pics of the 'real thing' on Starship Modeller which are coming in handy

Plan is to add decals then seal with Quickshine then use more MIG wash to dirty up whole thing, perhaps with some dry brushing as well (as I wrote, it is a plan only so things may change ....)

xw151211.jpg

Edited by cjhm

Coming along nicely.

Is there an R2 to add?

There is, the shoulders are moulded in the piece behind the cockpit with a choice of R2 or R4 heads, I will be using the R2 for Wedges ride. There is also a tiny R2 (my son has his eyes on him ...) to go with a standing and seated pilot, not sure if I will use these on a simple base yet. As the UC push fits on poly caps (like Tamiya 1/24 car wheel attachments) I don't have to choose display options yet

Started decalling, pic also shows inner wing area where I have used Boltgun Metal and Badab Black Wash to start on metal parts

Some of the decals have bled slightly with Mr Softner, will need carefull touch up with a brush

xw1912.jpg

Edited by cjhm

Finished decalling, left off a lot of the tiny black dot (<1m square) and line stencils as:

A. Couldn't be bothered to apply 50 or so tiny decals

B. They don't seem to be readily visible in the reference shots I have and the weathering I have planned would cover them anyway

But hats off to FM for the attention to detail

This shot shows parts after a few coats of Quickshine to seal decals then an all over MIG Cold Grey wash

xw2212_1.jpg

Then after a wipe down with MIG thinners using kitchen roll and cotton buds. This will be sealed with more quickshine then repeated (to stop the fresh wash re-wetting the wash already laid down) at least once before moving on to dry brushing

xw2212_2.jpg

Couldn't resist quick mock up main parts as per this pic

xw2212_3.jpg

Dry brushing mainly done, decided to glue fuselage rear in place now I think I have finished with inside of the wings, they still move OK

Needed a bit of filler due to build up of paint, needs to be weathered in to match the rest now

xw2712.jpg