Action Man Grenadier Guard

An old project this one, just dug out of storage.

Fairly good quality vintage Action Man, with very rusty leg rivets, which were cleaned up with WD40 and a file. The rest of him's not bad.

The uniform was in a shocking state, so I cleaned it up by painting it. Still needs touching up around the collars and cuffs (QUIET AT THE BACK!)..

_MG_6837.jpg

_MG_6838.jpg

_MG_6833.jpg

The shiny boots are the 40th re-issue ones.

Unfortunately, the bearskin, which was sent back to the UK for reflocking went MIA around the time of the postal strike at the end of 2009. Oh well.

I know the guy did a great job on the re-flock, but the shape of the Palitoy bearskin is s***e, so, I'm going to make a new one.

One cut up bog roll tube later, and here's the start of the work in progress. It'll still need further cutting and shaping.

bearskinwip1.jpg

Am going to look for some sheepskin in the shops over the weekend to cover it.

Not sure about the plume and chinstrap... Haberdashers or party store I guess..

More to follow.

Cheers,

Nick

Well, the main part is done. I bought a toy monkey glove puppet with black flocked hair, and took the front off of it.

_D9O3288.jpg

_D9O3290.jpg

_D9O3289.jpg

Quite happy with the side profile..

_D9O3292.jpg

It'll still need some further amendments, and there is a slight seam at the back to fix, but overall, it'll pass.Next step, plume and chinstrap.

Cheers,

Nick

• 3 weeks later...

A little update..

The bearskin's pretty much done.. A trip to the tailors souk in Dubai sorted that out. Gold braid for the chinstrap, and the plume's off some chair decorating fabric with tassles and braid.

I still need to clean up the buttons and sort out the shoulder straps, but he's coming along nicely.

_D9O5864.jpg

_D9O5866.jpg

_D9O5867.jpg

Almost there.

Cheers,

Nick

Edited by dylan the rabbit