Materials Used

markblue777

Hi all,

I am new to scratch building and I am getting back into model making after a while away from it. However, I was wondering what materials you would typically use for scratch building things such as ruined buildings, landscapes (to create hills, ditches etc).

Any help appreciated.

regards

Mark

basically anything goes, wood ,plaster, plastic, resin it all good building material. depends upon what you want to replicate. Example a building you could use the same building material as the real thing. Plaster is great as it is soft and you can make brick patterns in it with cracks etc. My advice if you are going to do dioramas is get a good Model Railway scenery guide, everything that they do in there basically applies to all scratch building of scenery.

basically anything goes, wood ,plaster, plastic, resin it all good building material. depends upon what you want to replicate. Example a building you could use the same building material as the real thing. Plaster is great as it is soft and you can make brick patterns in it with cracks etc. My advice if you are going to do dioramas is get a good Model Railway scenery guide, everything that they do in there basically applies to all scratch building of scenery.

Ok cool, have you got any suggestions for model railway scenery guides, such as books, mag's, webpages etc.

Cheers

Mark