ESCI 1/72 F4J(UK)

Well I've still not finished my other 2 phantoms but why let that stop me entering a 3rd!

I discovered this kit by accident, took a punt on eBay as it was cheapish! I had read one review that said it was ok!

I was pleasantly surprised when I opened the box! I think it's of the same standard as the ESCI first gen harrier kits.

See for your selves:

1a2ecf19.jpg

53256760.jpg

Few closeups to show the very nice surface detail

f97f4066.jpg

f8e9efa4.jpg

66879456.jpg

As with the harriers the cockpit is a little sparse...

a96e0295.jpg

So I got this to spruce it up a bit!

e164d6bd.jpg

Only minor issue is it's for the Has kit so it may not fit that well! Also I think the F4J(UK) probably has a different pit layout to the Typical J variant, but it's got to look better than the kit offering!

I've also got FOD covers

7b369996.jpg

These are for the revell kit so I'm not sure how well they'll fit, if they don't I'll use them as a template to make some, then of course I'll have to buy the revell kit to go with them....

Finally the kit seats are the real low point, after shelling out for the PE I didn't want to waste half by not using the details for the seats and buy resin ones. Fortunately a kind BMer helped me out (as they usually do!).

1a1df807.jpg

Thanks to FZ6 (Mark) for these from the revell kit, they have great detail anyway but I'm going to add the belts etc.

Both my other 2 entries are getting some paint presently so I'll kick this one off in-between coats!

Phil

Another one? You're turning into a bit of a Group Build Groupie! Seriously though, I'll be keeping an eye on this as I've also seen mixed reviews on this one and I'm kind of tempted to get it to do an F-4J(UK) too. I kind of baulk at the cost of the Hasegawa F-4Js, even though they are rather good they're not worth the prices being asked these days.

If you haven't got it already, get your hands on Aeroguide 25 McDonnell Douglas F-4J(UK) Phantom. It's 36 pages devoted to 74 Sqdns planes, lots of pics and info (especially useful is the run down on the painting in the US with FS equivalents of BS greys). Your presumption that the cockpits would be slightly different to standard Js would seem to be right. Aeroguide doesn't gp into detail, but mentions that they were some kind of hybrid of F-J and F-4K/M. It also notes that when intially delivered, the ejector seats were the US Navy types which weren't compatible with British flying kit at the time. I would assume this means there is some kind of hardly noticable in 1/72 difference in the Personal Equipment Connectors(PEC) rather than some huge difference in the shape of the seat itself.

Looking forward to your progress,

Mark.

Thanks Mark,

You're right I am addicted to GB at the moment!

I hope I'll get this one done as we've just bought a house, which needs renovation so the pressures on to get it done before we move, which hopefully will be a week or 2 before the GB deadline!

I've got the aeroguide, had a quick look last night, limited pics of the pit, but as you say the colour guides will be useful! Plus it has some detail on this aircraft.

Phil

I've got to agree limited pics on the pit are a bit disappointing as normally Aeroguides are quite good in this respect. I was rooting through the stash a couple of nights back to find my entry for this GB. All I'm saying is that it will be British and it'll be made from a Fujimi kit, so watch this space....

Mark.

Well if that's the case, get yourself a copy of Verlinden Lock On No.10 as it has two superb images of exactly what you are looking for.

In fact, here's a couple of images to get you started with colours etc, but they don't show the top of the rear IP.

http://www.f4phantoms.co.uk/cockpit.html

The periscope is pretty much the only obvious addition and bolts straight onto the canopy frame between the two cockpits.

Mark.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I'm back with an update, I got a but carried away between updates, but I did take pics as I went.

3e6b7f7b.jpg

Pit with Eduard PE, I repainted the Grey bits of the PE to match the grey of the pit, as they where too light! I scratch built the rear IP too as the kit part is the wrong shape for the PE!

795e4bff.jpg

Bang seats, from Revell kit plus PE belts, I think the belts might be the wrong colour as these are meant for the US seat but never mind!

b51243b1.jpg

Scratch built rear side panel.

c85f5d5a.jpg

Fit of the kit is pretty good! So it's together!

bac650d3.jpg

Filler and plasticard shims in the usual spots on a phantom kit! Few nasty sink marks too.

49193e01.jpg

The panel lines are a little shallow so I've recur them all, made a few mistakes but I'll correct them after primer. I also added some rivets to exhaust area, never done this before and I'm happy with result!

I'm annoyed I didn't add some detail behind the rear IP, it's a little hollow there so I may try and correct that!

Otherwise she's about ready for primer!

Phil

Update time,

Got a fair bit done this weekend as the girlfriend went to see her sister!

I got a coat of primer on Friday afternoon, so that dried overnight, I then sprayed a thin coat of Tamyia XF4 Yellow Green, over the areas that would be the US attempt at cammo grey! Id read that part of the reason the paint looked a funny shade is that they'd been sparing with the top coat and the primer showed through!

3fbde7e8.jpg

I left the patches where I'd added more filler after priming as I figured it would all add to the interesting colour scheme!

Next pre shade on the underside, I used DSG rather than black as its light grey top coat.

27e5118b.jpg

Then I sprayed the light grey and did a touch of post shading

e561a3fe.jpg

This pic was actually taken at the end so the metallics are done too here!

Next up topside pre shade then the odd duck egg colour! I used Tamyia XF23 light blue mixed with a little XF53 Neutral Grey, sprayed thinly over the XF4 it gave a reasonable colour match I think!

Then the inner wing upper surfaces where sprayed XF53. Both had some post shading done. Lastly the tail was sprayed black and the metallics done using citadel chain mail and bolt gun, with a thin cost of tamyia smoke over the top once dry!

da96a8c1.jpg

One long weekend with the airbrush later I got here:

6d4cffd1.jpg

Some touch ups needed, plus I realised after I'd painted the main colours that the stabs needed the raised lumps removing!

07177f5a.jpg

So a bit of work to do then gloss coat and decals!

Thanks for looking

Phil

Well I've still not finished my other 2 phantoms but why let that stop me entering a 3rd!

I discovered this kit by accident, took a punt on eBay as it was cheapish! I had read one review that said it was ok!

I was pleasantly surprised when I opened the box! I think it's of the same standard as the ESCI first gen harrier kits.

Would agree with that - until the arrival of the Fujimi (and later new Hasegawa) kits this was by far the best Phantom in 1/72, it was a revalation when it came out.

Ok another update!

After a couple of costs of quickshine I've decalled her, but of a mixed bag of decals. Some from the kit, some from a Fujimi FGR2 (the one I'm doing for this GB) dome from spares and the serial number tiger stripes and tiger on the nose from the AM decals, that's all you get!!

Following decals was more quickshine and then a pin wash with Windsor and newton oils plus oil and dirt smears.

df877386.jpg

9de810a7.jpg

f0bc0bbb.jpg

89ee7cf1.jpg

I tend not to weather display scheme jets as they tend to get looked after better than the others, or at least they got painted more recently.... However I figured this one hadn't been painted so it would be a bit dirty!

Matt coat tomorrow then time to add the fiddly bits and she's done!

Thanks for looking

Phil

Edited by SaintsPhil

This is coming along very nicely! I too was much surprised at a 1:72 scale ESCI F-4C kit that I picked up at a garage sale for $1.00 - it looked quite nice in the box, but I've had many kits that meet that criteria and still end up in the bin! Now I know from seeing your kit go together that it should build up nicely too!

Cheers,

Bill

Don't you dare start anything new!!! Focus. Eyes on the prize. You're 5 metres out from the try line, get the ball out the ruck, quick hands and crash over the line in style!

Mark.

D'oh!

I never played beyond my school years. Turned out for my ATC wing against Somerset and Avon(?) wing at RAF Locking Moor nearly 20 years ago now. I remember 2 things,

1. The base was a bit of a dump, but it did have a Gnat as a gate guard. I thought this was a bit odd as it was a signals establishment IIRC.

2. We lost.

Mark.